PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina

sasha the cat
08-31-2005, 07:58 PM
In this website:
http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=3787002&nav=6DJIdxFU
I was reading of the devastation Hurricane Katrina has brought to the United States -- particularly in Louisana but also in other areas of the country. New Orleans looks like a war zone -- like it has been bombed into the ground. The pictures and the news reporting shows that people and pets are in very great danger in so many areas.

Murray and I did not know where to post our concern but this Forum is the best place. People here care deeply about both other people and the innocent animals too.

If you live in these areas or nearby and are safe, we are thankful for that. Does anyone know what has been set-up for pet rescue? Understandably the focus is on human lives but the people with lost pets will want to know where rescued pets are being kept safe in the hope that their loved pet is safe somewhere.

We worry for the safety of our American friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid184/p6f38967ff3a37530383ef8d7910a8c9a/f28c548f.jpg

Sasha the Queen Calico
b. 8 May 1994 - d. 29 August 2005
Our most purrecious little girl, we love you furever. Bobby the Dog, cats Tiggy [BCU], Princess and Paddy-Paws, and Chucky the Dog are showing you the ropes at RB. Kisses and hugs to you, sweetie from your KatMa & Paw-Paw.

K & L
08-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Thank you so much for your care and concern. I will check with our rescue groups here and see if they know of anything going on for the animals. It's all so devastating and I can't even imagine what all these poor people are going through.

momcat
08-31-2005, 09:06 PM
There's a post from Janelle, "Rescuing pets from the hurricane" on PT Cat General about rescue efforts for animals.....

Prairie Purrs
08-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Here are two links for organizations that are helping animals affected by Katrina:

Humane Society (https://secure.hsus.org/01/disaster_relief_fund_2005?)

Noah's Wish (http://www.noahswish.org/Donations.htm)

Prairie Purrs
08-31-2005, 10:56 PM
From WWL-TV (http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG.ac3fcea.html)

8:39 P.M. - EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (AP) -- A Madison County, Illinois, prosecutor is leaving this week for the Gulf Coast to offer assistance to some lower profile hurricane victims -- family pets.

Amy Maher is a coordinator for a national organization called Noah's Wish, which works to save as many pets as possible during such catastrophes.

More than a hundred Noah's Wish volunteers are expected to arrive in Louisiana tomorrow.

Various Louisiana animal welfare groups are managing animal evacuations and recovery plans for New Orleans pets and displaced animals.

The Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association is currently accepting pets at the Blackham Coliseum in Lafayette, LSU in Shreveport, the Monroe Civic Center for small animals and the Ike Hamilton Center for large animals in Monroe.

Pets are also being accepted at the Farmer's Market in Alexandria, and the LSU Agriculture Center at Parker Coliseum in Baton Rouge.

AlleyCat
08-31-2005, 11:01 PM
The ASPCA is accepting donations towards pet shelters affected by Katrina. The link below will accept a donation directly for that purpose and not just a general donation to the ASPCA.

catfamily
09-01-2005, 12:28 PM
I watch Fox news Channel and they are covering it 24/7 and I cannot believe how horrible this disaster is.I am totally freaked out by all this and cry just watching the people on the news.Right now there are buildings on fire with people in them and firetrucks cannot get to them because of the floods.All those people in the apartment will burn to death.There are dead human and animal bodies floating everywhere.

sasha the cat
09-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Thank you all for responding. We've been following the news re pet rescue and checking into the various sections of PT.

Like every one in these forums we are sick at heart knowing animals have been abandoned, and animals have been refused rescue by authorities. Thankfully pet action people are helping.

The terrible damage done by Katrina is frightening. It is hard to believe that the forces of Nature are so powerful.

We know Americans will pull together and help each other; we are happy Canada [and individual Canadians] are focused on helping our American cousins.

catmandu
09-09-2005, 08:26 AM
THE SADDEST THING,THAT I SAW ON THE NEWS,WAS A BIG REDDISH RETREIVER,THAT WAS SWIMMING,TO THE RESCUE BOATS,BUT THEY WOULDNT LET HIM ON,AS PEOPLE,WERE TOP PRIORTY.THEN YOU SAW,THAT BIG HEAD,SINK,NEVER,TO BEE SEEN AGAIN,ON EARTH.
THAT PUP,AND ALL OTHER ANGELS,ARE GETTING,A SPECIAL LUNCH,TODAY,AND THEY WILL GET FIRST BITES.

momcat
09-09-2005, 06:51 PM
There was just a story on the news about the North Shore Animal League, a rescue group in New York. They gassed up their vans and along with several volunteers drove 1,200 miles to help the animals. The crew was able to save over 100 cats and dogs along with a goat, a sheep, and a pig. The vans went fully equiped to give medical treatment. Every animal was examined by a vet, bathed, dewormed, and given their shots. The vet said they all were very friendly. The really good news is there were no serious injuries or health problems. All of the animals were brought back to New York and are up for adoption. The vet emphasized that these little guys came from a shelter and didn't have a family before the hurricane. (There are some real cuties!!!) The shelter is getting hundreds of calls from potential furever families. The rescuers are on their way back hoping to save more animals. Bless each of those rescuers!!!!!

Rie Rie
09-09-2005, 09:17 PM
I live between Baton Rouge, La. and New Orleans and there are several shelters here and in Baton Rouge, that have been set up for animals. It is horrible to watch the news and see the animals left behind. Lots of people wouldn't and still won't leave unless they can take their pets with them and I don't blame them. I understand that they had to save human lives, but these animals are a very important part of someone's life and shouldn't be left to die. It really just breaks my heart.