PDA

View Full Version : need advice on mistreated dog

lute
08-23-2005, 02:34 PM
i walked a new route the other day with Gracie and i can't seem to get this poor dog out of my head...

about 3-4 blockes from my house is a yard with 3 dogs. 2 of them are in a fenced area and have ok looking dog houses. the other one is a mess of a dog. he's matted really bad, he's on a 3 foot chain that is tied to a tree, he's got a doghouse, but it's kinda small and almost out of reach, his water has green stuff in it and i don't see a food bowl. this poor guy can't be comfortable.:( :(

i talked to his elderly owner today and she told me she's had that dog for a long time. he's really old. i kinda hinted around to her about bringing him indoors or finding him a home with someone who will give him proper care. she compleatly ignored it all.:mad:

i would bring this dog home with me, but i really don't have the room for him and my parents would kill me. i'm not even gonna bother telling the police. they don't care. we have no animal control or humane societies. this town is so infested with strays that no one cares. what should i do? it's torturing me knowing that this old dog is going to live out his days on a three foot chain.

if he were cleaned up he'd look a lot like this dog-
http://www.petsinmotion.ca/images/dogsinca05.jpg

lvpets2002
08-23-2005, 02:42 PM
:confused: Why does she have him chained up just because he is old? I have a older dog than the others but I dont chain her up & they all run together.. Maybe you should contact SPCA to investigate this matter.. Sounds as if the dog needs to be removed.. I have myself removed abused dogs from yards if I thought it was needed.. I have put food & water in yards also.. I dont stand for stupidness :mad: when it comes to out pets..

dukedogsmom
08-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Poor dog! Ask the elderly owner how they'd like being chained to the bed and outside, at that. Too bad you don't know anyone that can make that poor dog go "poof" and give it a good home. Maybe you can volunteer to at least give the poor thing a bath and give it some loving and attention? That is so sad.

lv4dogs
08-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by lvpets2002
:confused: Why does she have him chained up just because he is old? I have a older dog than the others but I dont chain her up & they all run together.. Maybe you should contact SPCA to investigate this matter.. Sounds as if the dog needs to be removed.. I have myself removed abused dogs from yards if I thought it was needed.. I have put food & water in yards also.. I dont stand for stupidness :mad: when it comes to out pets..

well I don't know the story, but to let a dog just run would be just as bad as having a dog chained up, if not worse. At least chained up he won't be hit by a car. Unless of course you let them run inside a fenced in yard.

I wish I could tell you something that help, but by the sounds of it, with no animal control or shelters or the like & the fact that your town has so many strays I'm afraid not much can be done. :(

lv4dogs
08-23-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Poor dog! Ask the elderly owner how they'd like being chained to the bed and outside, at that. Too bad you don't know anyone that can make that poor dog go "poof" and give it a good home. Maybe you can volunteer to at least give the poor thing a bath and give it some loving and attention? That is so sad.

As much as you & I would like to be rude to someone in this situation it is best to not. If you scare her or make her mad she may either take it out on the animal or not let anyone help her.
When dealing with animals in need it is always best to grin & bear it until after the problem is resolved. Just bite your tongue and be as helpful as possible.

But yeah, maybe you can help her out. You say she is older, maybe she can't properly brush or bathe the dog due to arthritis or the like. She may not be able to walk the dog due to her age or health. And also she may be used to how it was back in the day, when most folks just kept their dogs outdoors with not much attention or care.

IRescue452
08-23-2005, 03:19 PM
I myself have "liberated" dogs from their situations and brought them into the shelter as seemingly collar-free strays. If the owner is elderly though I might offer to groom the dog and get it a better chain.

caseysmom
08-23-2005, 03:25 PM
I think the idea of volunteering to help is a wonderful idea. Make sure its okay with your parents and they check the lady out.

dukedogsmom
08-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Sorry. Thought you'd know that was sarcasm in my first few sentences.

Dixieland Dancer
08-23-2005, 03:49 PM
I agree... volunteer to give the dog a bath and get it a new chain. Perhaps you can take it for a few walks around the block. Make sure you ask permission from the elderly owner and especially your parents before doing this.

It is difficult to see this and ignore it. I hope everything works out ok.

lv4dogs
08-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Sorry. Thought you'd know that was sarcasm in my first few sentences.

I figured it was but better safe than sorry. :D

lvpets2002
08-23-2005, 04:02 PM
To Lv4Dogs == I meant my dogs run together in a fenced in yard.. What kind of fool do you think I am!!!!!!!!!!

jesse_3
08-23-2005, 04:15 PM
I think that the volunteering idea is great! Helping her out would be wonderful. What I can't figure out is why the other two look ok when this one is bad?

Good luck!-
Steph and Jes

ps. For grooming, I would suggest a shave, if you have a dog shaver, then offer to do some work, and the fur doesn't have to be perfect, just so the mats are out!;)

bckrazy
08-23-2005, 08:46 PM
OMFG. If I saw a sweet old Border Collie in that shape, trust me, I would not even bother to talk to the owners >.< just, poof.

Sorry that you have to see this and not have anywhere to turn... can you contact the nearest SPCA? they're usually MUCH better about responding to calls of abuse. That is not at all acceptable, it sounds a lot like what I see on Animal Cops, and the owners have actually been sent to jail for allowing a dog to suffer like that. Why does the dog even need a chain, if he's in a kennel?

Here's what I would do, if I were you... (1) volunteer to bathe and clip him (although it sounds like a job that needs professional help), and give her pointers on how to care for her dogs. or, (2) act like you really love the dog and ask if you can adopt/or buy him for $20-50 ~ then get him to a no-kill rescue right away.

cyber-sibes
08-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Since you are walking your dogs anyway, maybe dropping by with a new chain, a little bag of treats, new water bowl (doesn't have to be expensive, just clean) would be a great way to gain this lady's trust and show her you are really concerned. Offering to walk the dog would be nice, too. She may really appreciate a little help! You never know- with a little time, a little patience, you might be able to suggest in a friendly way she think about finding a better situation for the dog (especially as winter approaches!) But keep in mind, she may also be VERY attached to him, in spite of her lack of attention to his needs. Good luck with your efforts, your love of dogs really shines through!

lv4dogs
08-24-2005, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by lvpets2002
To Lv4Dogs == I meant my dogs run together in a fenced in yard.. What kind of fool do you think I am!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said...

Unless of course you let them run inside a fenced in yard.

IRescue452
08-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Here's what I would do, if I were you... (1) volunteer to bathe and clip him (although it sounds like a job that needs professional help), and give her pointers on how to care for her dogs. or, (2) act like you really love the dog and ask if you can adopt/or buy him for $20-50 ~ then get him to a no-kill rescue right away.
A no-kill rescue? I wouldn't do that to a dog. If he doesn't get adopted he'll end up in a kennel for life, unless of course they are one of the very few good ones who has foster homes for every dog. And I doubt this dog would have the best chances for adoption.

lute
08-24-2005, 01:16 PM
thanks for the advice! i'm think i'm gonna offer to groom him and do all i can. i'm getting a truck here in just a couple weeks. i'll probably make him go "poof" and take him to the no-kill shelter in Terre Haute. we got Beanie from them and they are very good people. they take wonderful care of their animals. i hate to have to leave him there any longer, but help will come as soon as possible!

lv4dogs
08-24-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by lute
thanks for the advice! i'm think i'm gonna offer to groom him and do all i can. i'm getting a truck here in just a couple weeks. i'll probably make him go "poof" and take him to the no-kill shelter in Terre Haute. we got Beanie from them and they are very good people. they take wonderful care of their animals. i hate to have to leave him there any longer, but help will come as soon as possible!

Maybe & hopefully after grooming him & helping the lady she will realize that that is not the proper way to care for a dog & will take better care of him so there is no need to make the dog go poof.

lute
08-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
Maybe & hopefully after grooming him & helping the lady she will realize that that is not the proper way to care for a dog & will take better care of him so there is no need to make the dog go poof.
i hope so. i hate taking dogs from their surroundings, but if it must be done.

bckrazy
08-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by IRescue452
A no-kill rescue? I wouldn't do that to a dog. If he doesn't get adopted he'll end up in a kennel for life, unless of course they are one of the very few good ones who has foster homes for every dog. And I doubt this dog would have the best chances for adoption.

If you were in that dogs situation, choose one life ~ on a 3 foot chain, in your own waste, matted, probably very sick, without any real human/animal interaction, going days without food and drinking nasty green water; OR living in a nice, clean kennel without an old rusty chain around your neck, regular medical care, with daily walks and human and dog interaction with the big chance that some one looking for a sweet, laid back older dog will take you into their home and let you live out your life inside their home and in peace. HMMM, tough choice ;)

cyber-sibes
08-25-2005, 09:12 AM
While I'm all in favor of giving this dog a better life, I really disagree with the making the dog go "poof" -- without really knowing what the situation is. Maybe this lady is ill herself and can't take care of him, or can't really afford to, but to have him disappear might break her heart! It could also make her very paranoid about theives in her neighborhood - you did say she's elderly, right? I would work at befriending her and convincing her that the loving thing to do is to let the old guy go somewhere he'll get medical attention, exercise, etc. (you don't even have to mention that it might be at a shelter). Allow her the dignity of making that decision herself. Please try to find out more before you take the dog away- who knows, maybe she would happy to have the chance to rehome him.

lute
08-25-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by cyber-sibes
While I'm all in favor of giving this dog a better life, I really disagree with the making the dog go "poof" -- without really knowing what the situation is. Maybe this lady is ill herself and can't take care of him, or can't really afford to, but to have him disappear might break her heart! It could also make her very paranoid about theives in her neighborhood - you did say she's elderly, right? I would work at befriending her and convincing her that the loving thing to do is to let the old guy go somewhere he'll get medical attention, exercise, etc. (you don't even have to mention that it might be at a shelter). Allow her the dignity of making that decision herself. Please try to find out more before you take the dog away- who knows, maybe she would happy to have the chance to rehome him.

i understand. i'll start off with this, but i've talked to the lady again and i highly doubt she would even think of letting go of him.