PDA

View Full Version : Tips for travelling

Pawsitive Thinking
08-16-2005, 09:26 AM
In just over a week's time we will be heading to Dorset and taking Tobey for his first ever holiday! He isn't too good in cars so any hints, tips, ideas to make it as comfy as possible for him would be much appreciated

beeniesmom
08-16-2005, 09:27 AM
There is a product that calms dogs during trips and such. I've seen it on the www.drsfosterandsmith.com website.
Not sure what it's called.

lv4dogs
08-16-2005, 09:47 AM
If he gets carsick, you can call your vet to see what the proper dosage is but you can give them dromamine the motion sickness meds they sell for humans.
To get him more used to cars without giving meds you can try to slowly introduce him to rides (not sure if you have enough time for that before this trip). Start off by just sitting in the car with him in your driveway, after a few days, once he is comfortable with that you can then start the car up but don't go anywhere. Then back up to the end of the driveway. Start to drive to the corner, then around the block. Slowly increase the distance. Always make the car a happy place at first. Bring him to dog parks, pet stores etc... A lot of dog get fearful of the car because the only time they are in it somethng bad happens, like if you only bring him in the car for vet appointments, or make him sit in the car while you run errands etc..

Good luck & have fun!

Muddy4paws
08-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Does he have a crate to be in? I know my dogs are more relaxed if they are in a closed area in the car and somewhere where there is a blanket or something he sleeps on while hes at home and bring his fave toy for a chew if he wants to! and rescue remedy is good for dogs, it calms them down and its all natural

Pawsitive Thinking
08-16-2005, 09:57 AM
He is much better in cars than he used to be as a pup - we have taken him on a few trips with "fun" at the end. He will be travelling in a crate and will probably be a lot less anxious than me!

pnance
08-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Savannah gets car sick and is really nervous, the vet recommended Benadryl (the vet can give you the correct dosage), it makes her sleepy and keeps her tummy from getting upset. Works every time.....:)

sandragonfly
08-16-2005, 08:44 PM
sorry no can help because my crayola doesn't have this problem..but what I would try too is -- give him his favorite rawhide? toy? ball? (you know him better than us!) :) that probably would help the tobey to know he's safe and still is "going-home" without a chaos.

hope tobey's trip will be better than you think and have fun! :)

Pawsitive Thinking
08-17-2005, 05:49 AM
All great ideas - thank you.