PDA

View Full Version : Foot and Mouth....again?????

carrie
02-26-2002, 06:51 PM
I have been snowed under this evening by emails from friends and those people that responded to all your goodwill messages throughout last summer.

A farm in North Yorkshire has reported a suspected case of Foot and Mouth!!!!!!!
The two sheep with suspect lesions have been slaughtered, movement restrictions are in place around the farm, samples have been sent for analysis and all contacts with the farm are being traced.

The same farm lost all stock in forced slaughter at the begining of last years outbreak.

I can not begin to comprehend how they are dealing with this.

Last week I was getting emails saying that it was a year since the outbreak started and it was a good thing that this can only happen once in a life of farming. (The whole country was declared free of disease some weeks ago.) Now I have two emails that say people have already arranged for all stock to go to slaughter and they are giving up for good. Many more are saying the same thing, at least 22 who lost all animals last time round, over 20 that escaped but came close, if this becomes confirmed.

Our weather has been dreadful for many weeks - lots of flooding again, strong winds and no sign of let up - perfect for spreading this disease.

I have been telling everyone to wait for the test results to come through - It could be that the sheep were victims of the weather conditions - Stay in touch and as soon as anyone knows anything is confirmed, be it good or bad, to let me know and I will pass it on - Whatever the grapevine reports WAIT for official news!

Most of the emails I have are from those that were sent your messages of support during the outbreak last year and they wanted me to keep you informed.

As soon as we have any more news, one way or another, I will let you all know. Keep your fingers crossed - a thing most of us feel really guilty about. We want you to wish that the animals were suffering lesions because of oversight and bad weather rather than disease...... a pretty horrible wish to have, isn't it?

AmberLee
02-26-2002, 07:14 PM
How devestating! Will hold the farmers and animals of U.K. in my thoughts and prayers. I read the article really quickly. If the news is good, the tests will confirm it in up to 4 days, bad news noted faster? :confused: :eek: Although the anxiety must be intense, hoping for a delay in the test results coming in.

Hang in there!

sammi
02-26-2002, 07:28 PM
Oh Carrie, I hope the tests come back negative. Will keep you and your farming friends in my thoughts and prayers.

carrie
02-26-2002, 07:49 PM
Thank you so much - it is great to be able to send such quick messages of support.

gini
02-26-2002, 08:16 PM
Oh Carrie, how I will pray that the tests come back negative.

All of our heartfelt thoughts go out to you, the farms and animals.

Sudilar
02-26-2002, 08:21 PM
You will have my prayers also. I hope this is not starting again. How devastating. Please keep us updated.

jackiesdaisy1935
02-26-2002, 09:41 PM
Oh Carrie, I am so sorry and let us all hope and pray that the tests come back negative. Those people have been through so much sorrow, it is not fair for this to happen. Please tell them that we are thinking of them and hoping for the best. We will say a little prayer and keep our fingers and paws crossed for them till we hear the answer.
Jackie

Logan
02-26-2002, 09:58 PM
I am heartbroken, reading this, Carrie. Please tell your friends that they, and their animals, are in our prayers.

Gio
02-27-2002, 03:29 AM
I can't believe I'm reading this! I was so hoping that this tragedy was over. It' so unfair, how much more can this people take?

I will pray very hard that this is only a false alarm. Please keep us posted.

Former User
02-27-2002, 03:34 AM
So far so good, read BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/england/newsid_1843000/1843439.stm)

Fingers crossed here too.

C.C.'s Mom
02-27-2002, 03:40 AM
I saw it on BBC world this morning. They said that as long as there are no results for the next few days, the chances are good that it's not F & M.

AdoreMyDogs
02-27-2002, 08:20 AM
Oh no, Carrie. This just can't happen, not again :( That poor, poor farmer! I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers and I will pray for the best.

Gosh I hope and pray it's not foot and mouth again. You are just starting to rebuild, another outbreak would be beyond terrible.

carrie
02-27-2002, 03:52 PM
Initial test have proved negative!
Final tests due in around four days but it is looking good!

jennifert
02-27-2002, 03:57 PM
YEA!!!!!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for only good news....

Dixieland Dancer
02-28-2002, 12:40 PM
Prayers are being offered that this is not Foot and Mouth. Carrie, Please let the farmers know we do care and they are on the top of our prayer list for a positive answer that this is NOT happening again.

Logan
02-28-2002, 01:17 PM
Oh, Carrie, I know you must be hopeful. I certainly am too. Please keep us posted.

Logan :)

Heather Wallace
02-28-2002, 06:01 PM
I know Carrie it is dreadful, hits us again.

carrie
02-28-2002, 06:20 PM
It is very strange - on one hand you think the longer the better before the results come.
Straight after that is the thought that a delay is the worst thing.

I have to say that most farmers now in touch with me are confident that it is a false alarm. As the majority of these were directly affected by the last outbreak they do sound more positive than hopeful. With luck, then, it looks like a false alarm

Scary so soon after the official all clear.

lizbud
02-28-2002, 08:50 PM
I'm sure most farmers will be anxious and on the alert
for any sign of the disease's return. After such a tremendous
loss for them & such misery for their animals ...

Any new reports that you've heard of from any another
parts of Europe??

Karen
02-28-2002, 08:58 PM
When a chap has been through the worst gun battle
That one could have lived through, has survived at all
Then when a bang is heard it's forgivable
If he expects the worse, hits the deck, and trembles

And even if it was a firecracker that startled him
(As we all hope it was in this case -
no bullets, no burning now, please)
We understand, we do, and hope for the best

That someday a sick sheep will not bring thoughts of doom for the country
That a first thought is not of death
And that a firecracker could one day be
Just harmless noise again.

We hope with you.

Logan
02-28-2002, 10:31 PM
Very nice poetry, Karen. Thanks. :)

lynnestankard
03-01-2002, 05:21 AM
Carrie - whats even worse, they only cleared the last farm in the Lake District about 3 weeks ago!!! Farmers must be dreading/hoping what the results show. Their all in our thoughts.

Lynne

carrie
03-03-2002, 08:37 AM
Big sigh of relief!!!

All test have come back negative!!!!!

No trace of Foot and Mouth has been found!!!

Yeeeeeeeehhaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

gini
03-03-2002, 09:35 AM
This will be the best news I have read on the internet ALL DAY!

Gio
03-04-2002, 02:46 AM
I' m so relieved!!! This is wonderful news.

sammi
03-04-2002, 04:49 AM
That is great news Carrie !!!!!!

Karen
03-04-2002, 07:25 AM
Yay! Yay! The sheep are safe!
The pigs and cows and calves are too!
Yay! Yay! The farmer's fears
Bad though they were are put to rest!

purrley
03-04-2002, 07:36 AM
All the prayers have been answered. Phew!!!!!

Dixieland Dancer
03-04-2002, 12:20 PM
GREAT NEWS!

Sudilar
03-04-2002, 02:33 PM
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO! AMEN!