PDA

View Full Version : *POLL*how many peoples dogs are fat and how many are fit?

buttercup132
08-01-2005, 05:57 PM
i was just wondering

buttercup132
08-01-2005, 05:59 PM
if you have more then one dog just say and if you only have o dogs i made it so that you can choose two, like me one of my dogs is huge and the other very fit

Lexi_Lover
08-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Lexi is slim and trim! :) She may even be a but underweight since her stomach was pumped.

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Blaze is definitely trim and fit!!:)

buttercup132
08-01-2005, 06:01 PM
wow this poll is goin fast its only been on a few seconds and already 6 votes

slleipnir
08-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Josie has a lab build lol. She's a little chuncky, but I wouldn't say she is fat.

Zeke is very slim and fit, and needs to be to play flyball safely.

Bigyummydog
08-01-2005, 06:05 PM
MAXIMUS is mostly the muscle dog. But, he has gone from 88.6 lbs. to 94lbs. I think that's because of the weather. It's been soooo hot. None of us can stand to do anything but veg. The heat here just sucks the life out of everyone.

Kfamr
08-01-2005, 06:12 PM
According to some, Simba is "fat", but they know nothing. It's mostly his build (He's part Pittie.) His vet says that he is a pretty good weight and shape but could loose about 5 pounds.

Nala and Kiara are very sleek and fit.
Kiara has HUGE muscles. Nala is like a supermodel.

luvofallhorses
08-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Jenny is called "fat" but in reality she is not! It's the rottie in her that makes her big but she is more muscle than fat.

Ginger, I call fat but I usually call her fluffy butt. She is plump but at a reasonable weight :)

Rocky is fit and slim.

Buster is fit and slim also but he has such a big chest :eek: but he's not fat.

IMO my dogs aren't fat, they're well fed :)

buttercup132
08-01-2005, 06:25 PM
you rocky looks like my rockee wat breed is rocky? a he or a she? mines a 11 yr old german sheperd/black lab mix

CountryWolf07
08-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Anna is fit.. so is Rosie..

ginagt
08-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Both Mandy and Jasmine are fit and in good shape.

Ginger's Mom
08-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Hmm...wasn't sure what to say. Ginger is what I would call a little chunky. She isn't fat, but she isn't fit. She could stand to lose about four pounds.

grybai
08-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Payson's a skinny boy... though I really haven't had him long enough to fatten him up. :D

chocolatepuppy
08-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Lacey is is pretty good shape but Mandy is chubby. With Mandys heart condtion it's hard for her to get a lot of exercise. I've been cutting back on her food and she seems to have lost a few pounds. :)

Suki Wingy
08-01-2005, 07:49 PM
very fit and trim!

luvofallhorses
08-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by buttercup132
you rocky looks like my rockee wat breed is rocky? a he or a she? mines a 11 yr old german sheperd/black lab mix

Rocky is a black lab :)

GoldenRetrLuver
08-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Both of mine are very fit and trim. :)

wolf_Q
08-01-2005, 08:54 PM
I sometimes worry that Nebo is overweight...I'm paranoid about him getting fat yet I don't seem to care about myself. :rolleyes: I really don't think he is at all though, he just has really thick fur. He looks bigger in the winter and thinner in the summer but it's just because his coat thins out some in the hotter weather.

I don't think Reggie and Sydney are fat either, honestly. Reggie's belly kind of sags but I think it's because he's older. Syd looks ok to me and you can feel her ribs easy...she's just a square little dog with lots of muscle. ;)

dogzr#1
08-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Molly is a little overweight!:) It has been SOOO hot so we don't really get to play or go for a walk. The only time to go out is at night or in the morning but that is when the mosquitos are out. It is in the HIGH 90's or low 100's so it is hot. Astra is fit because she runs in the backyard everynight even tho there are mosquitos. Prince is a in the middle he is fit but overweight at the same time. He is one pound overweight. He is not too active but he still plays pretty good.

KYS
08-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Sheba is trim and Rocky is not really fat just big.

RobiLee
08-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I sometimes worry that Nebo is overweight...I'm paranoid about him getting fat yet I don't seem to care about myself. :rolleyes: I really don't think he is at all though, he just has really thick fur. He looks bigger in the winter and thinner in the summer but it's just because his coat thins out some in the hotter weather.

I'm just like Amy. I worry about my dogs' weight all the time. I feel the same way about Tori that she does about Nebo. Tori has a very big, deepset chest and I think that makes her look huge and I always think she is overweight but this summer she has lost a ton of fur and looks alot thinner. I always think Katie is too thin and wish she would eat more. Katie is probably perfect for her build but for an akita I think she is too skinny...lol.

I think my worries about them being overweight come from our RB Chloe. I let that girl eat and eat. She was huge! I don't want that to happen again. To this day I feel guilty that I let Chloe become so overweight.

Logan
08-01-2005, 09:34 PM
My Zipper is a "wide load" and that is probably putting it mildly. His "sisters", Lilly and Honey are trimmer than he is, but probably still to heavy for some people's preferences. Murphy is the most "shapely" of all, but she is a very picky eater and has lost weight as she has aged, too.

Logan

finn's mom
08-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Finn is definitely fit. Folks are always saying he's too skinny, but, it's only because people are used to seeing fat labs, and, I don't want a fat lab. ;)

anna_66
08-01-2005, 10:20 PM
I have to say my dogs are definately not fat! I would think that Roxey would be the most "fit" of them all. She's at her idea weight for a female husky.
And Bon, well he's been a little less active since the weather is so warm so he hasn't been eating much at all. Sometimes only once at night. So I would tend to say he might be a little underweight.
And Huney, she's a little bean pole. I don't even think she eats enough to keep her alive! You can feel all of her ribs like I've been starving her, but she won't eat any more than she needs...even if it's good stuff like canned food. She's a weird dog:p

So overall, I guess I'd say they are all fit..none of them are fat that's for sure!

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Mine are all in really good shape.

LuckiLab03
08-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Riley is very fit, our last dog, Brooke was fat.. she was always an old dog on the inside though, so all she ever wanted to do was sleep.

king2005
08-01-2005, 11:29 PM
One of the dogs here is terrible fat! 4yrs ago (last time they took her to a vet) the vet said she should weigh 25 pounds & she weighed 50 pounds!! The dog almost doesn't have a neck anymore shes that fat. & shes packed oneven more weight since then.

The other dog is too skinny, she cannot eat her food fast enough & the fat dogs eats it for her, thats why shes so fat (shes getting 2 80p dog meals). Stupid Owners

My dog was very fit. He was nearly 10yrs old & could out run younger dogs. That pooch was in great shape & had lots of muscles hehe

G.P.girl
08-01-2005, 11:46 PM
i didnt vote cause my dog is too skinny. we just adopted him from the shelter so we're trying to fatten him up :) hopefully he'll be fit though :p

jesse_3
08-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Jesse is fit in two ways, weight and energy! What can I say though, she is a springer:p!!

Steph and Jes

MariaM
08-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Major is very fit. Alot of people tell me he is too skinny and that really makes me mad. If anything, he could lose 2 pounds!

vinjashira
08-02-2005, 03:16 AM
Snowy is quite fit for a puppy not sure if I'm quite as fit myself though :D

BitsyNaceyDog
08-02-2005, 07:50 AM
-Nova is very trim.
-Nacey is very trim too, for a pug anyway. I am very careful with her weight as pugs are very prone to obesity.
-Charlie isn't as trim as he used to be, but is in no way fat.
-Buster isn't fat but he is a bit thick. I'm happy with his weight though.
-Bitsy was always a great weight until a few months ago she was on prednisone and that caused her to gain a bit of weight. I still wouldn't call her fat, but I am trying to get a little weight off of her so she doesn't become fat.

ramanth
08-02-2005, 08:24 AM
Kia is the correct weight for her height and build. :D

pitc9
08-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Both of mine are fit says our vet!:D

crsvstang
08-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Mine are all fit

cloverfdx
08-02-2005, 09:20 AM
My 2 both have to be fit, being sporting dogs ;). One of my pet peeves is overweight dogs, if it is medical like Miss Mandy then that is fine, but when it is lazy owners i get annoyed ;).

IRescue452
08-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Pepper is trim. Autumn's a pudge. She could lose about 5 pounds but most of her pudge is her huge ribcage. I think she has the typical byb-retriever thyroid problems too. Her brother is heavier than she is so I blame genetics when people call her fat.

future vet
08-02-2005, 12:04 PM
My dogs are both very fit and healthy so ill vote fit for both of them.

DogLover9501
08-02-2005, 12:16 PM
All 3 of mine are fit :)

gemini9961
08-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Sadie could lose a few pounds and we are working on that. Maggie is fit, actually she is too fit. She's a skinny little thing but that's because she never chills out. What she eats is gone in no time. Hopefully I can get about 5 pounds off Sadie and maybe a little more.

bckrazy
08-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Gonzo is very fit ^_~! Im proud of him because he has lost 6 lbs this summer from a ton of exercise, and he's in awesome shape. He seriously hasn't looked this built since he was 1 year old.

I also noticed that Gonzo manages his eating... he only eats about 1/2 cup-3/4 cup Canidae every day, and he's totally satisfied with that. He does get waay too many treats sometimes, but he's a good eater :) I wish I could manage my eating like that. bleh >_<

cocker_luva
08-02-2005, 11:55 PM
jesse is alittle on the fatter side

GreyhoundDaddy
08-03-2005, 02:01 AM
I dunno... I THINK Sequoia's in pretty darn good shape ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/coachgrieber/SequoiaRunning/320Longdog.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/coachgrieber/SequoiaRunning/224BuffSeqqui.jpg

And then there's Icee.. who's off to finishing school later this week... She's a little more cut up right now, but this is the most recent pic.
http://followthathound.com/v-web/gallery/albums/Baddirt-Bert-Carla-Pups/C_Icee_001.sized.jpg

But, yeah... my hounds are in fantastic shape. Can't say the same about the MAJORITY of dogs we see on a daily basis.

Vette
08-03-2005, 02:08 AM
Mines the weight he should be. :D

binka_nugget
08-03-2005, 06:27 AM
Kai's build isn't very typical of a Sheltie. The vet said his ideal weight would be about 35 pounds. He's about 40. Not obese but definitely could stand to lose a few pounds. I just switched him to the raw diet though. Now that I'm able to know exactly what he eats, I'm hoping he'll lose a few pounds. After he reaches his ideal weight, I want to get him a bit lower to make agility easier on him.

Kaedyn, on the other hand, is chunky for his build. :p I think his ideal weight would be about 20 pounds (he was at 25 the last time I checked) but I'd also like to get him a smidge lower for agility.

Becki
08-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Three of the four at home are in fit. The fourth is on the pudgy side. Our fifth is still actily racing, so she is the fittest of the bunch :)

http://www.giantspace.net/uploads/Race9/Indie2.jpg

http://www.giantspace.net/uploads/Race7/Becki.jpg

Glacier
08-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Well, most mushers, especially sprint racers, tell me I keep my dogs too heavy. Most pet dog owners tell me my dogs are too skinny. Someone actually told me a few days ago that Mac looks anorexic! Mac is a hound cross--built like a greyhound in many ways, designed for speed and boundless engery, both of which he has in spades. He eats more than my 130 pound malamute!!

Preacher needs to loose a few pounds, but he's 12, blind, has low thyroid and really doesn't move much anymore. I know his time is growing short and dinner is one of his great joys. I refuse to limit his food too much. So no diet, but I watch for no more gain either.

My vet told me a couple years ago that Kayleigh needed to drop 5 pounds. She had been starved by her first owner and food is a big issue for Kay. I told him he could come out here and feed her then! She has since dropped that five and bit more with more exercise--she has a bigger pen now and I have a Springer for my bike!

Everyone else is extremely fit. They ran over 1000km last year as a soley recreational dog team. They have to be in shape to do that!

tikeyas_mom
08-03-2005, 11:39 PM
alot of people probably wont admit their dog is overweight..

oscar is... and we know it... he is a 30 lb shih tzu common its not hard to figure haha..

Baby is VERY fit, The vet says she is in better shape then any great dane in my city!! and there are alot (there is a breeder here)..

Tikeya is fit too.. She has lost alot of weight since winter.. She used to be a sausage, now you can feel her ribs and actually see a defined tucked tummy :)..

And I'm happy for it ;). a fit dog = a healthy dog.

tikeyas_mom
08-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by CountryWolf07
Anna is fit.. so is Rosie..

Anna is Tikeyas twin :D

jennifert9
08-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Duncan, at last weigh-in, weighed 90lbs. Since he is a mixed breed, there really isn't an "ideal" weight for him....
The vets all tell me he is a healthy weight. He is VERY tall, probably as tall as some of your Great Danes so I feel he should weigh more....but he looks healthy, although a bit thin when wet....;) (Like a drowned rat actually....;) I think he is a bit embarrassed about that...;))
But his mother...now THAT's a different story...I could stand to lose about 20 lbs....I don't overfeed my dog, I overfeed MYSELF!! LOL!!! :)

tikeyas_mom
08-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by jennifert9
Duncan, at last weigh-in, weighed 90lbs. Since he is a mixed breed, there really isn't an "ideal" weight for him....
The vets all tell me he is a healthy weight. He is VERY tall, probably as tall as some of your Great Danes so I feel he should weigh more....but he looks healthy, although a bit thin when wet....;) (Like a drowned rat actually....;) I think he is a bit embarrassed about that...;))
But his mother...now THAT's a different story...I could stand to lose about 20 lbs....I don't overfeed my dog, I overfeed MYSELF!! LOL!!! :)

Baby, my great dane, weighs almost 98 lbs.. so Duncun must be HUGE!!! :D

cali
08-04-2005, 05:59 AM
I am obsessed with keeping my dogs in perfect conddition, a little overweight, like several dogs on PT is completly unacceptable to me, but I am a HUGE dog sports person lol trim is not enugh they must be thin and muscular and in the best shape they can possably be lol I am so obbessed that overweight dogs just drive me nuts :o

Pam
08-04-2005, 06:41 AM
Bella and Ripley both weigh just about what they should weigh. Bella can range from 40-44 lbs. and Ripley is pretty much a steady 14 lbs. Bella is more like me in that she rarely turns her nose up at food. It's a good thing she can't help herself to things in the refrigerator like I can. :D Ripley is a picky eater but eats enough to keep himself in good shape. He was only 11 lbs. when I got him and his ribs were visible, so he is doing well.

Pawsitive Thinking
08-04-2005, 06:49 AM
Tobey has gone from chubby puppy to supercharged and trim menace!

buttercup132
08-04-2005, 06:55 AM
my dog was very very fit everyone used to say that but after she got spayed it all went down hill, and she got fat, ive tried runnign her and every night she gets to run around for half a hour-a hour in a huge feild chasing all sorts of things and shes still dosent loose weight......

tikeyas_mom
08-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by buttercup132
my dog was very very fit everyone used to say that but after she got spayed it all went down hill, and she got fat, ive tried runnign her and every night she gets to run around for half a hour-a hour in a huge feild chasing all sorts of things and shes still dosent loose weight......

I had a sort of simular situation with Tikeya.. After she was spayed (at age 2) she went through a "starving" stage.. She thought she was starved. she would whine for food all the time I would be feeding her on scheduals 1 cup twice a day, and she still acted starved...

So this lead to her gaining ALOT of weight.... and then the next couple years I worked sooo hard on trying to get the extra pounds off of her.. eventually it worked... after changing dog foods about 12 times..

:rolleyes:

lute
08-05-2005, 08:21 PM
both my dogs are fit. they both get a great food and plenty of running time. i honestly don't think i've ever owned an overweight dog.