View Full Version : 11:05 a.m. - Just talked to Kelly's Mom!

07-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi everyone, my phone rang and I fairly jumped it........it was Kelly's Mom.

Kelly is now in recovery and won't be in a room for another hour.
Her Mom doesn't have a room number yet.

Her Mom said the Dr. told her the surgery was a huge success.
The section that they removed and then resectioned is indeed diseased. However, what is remaining looks very good and clean.

The diseased section has been sent off to a lab immediately to analyze.

The Dr. said Kelly will feel something like a very bad paper cut for about two days - but after that she should FEEL GOOD AS NEW AND BE PAINFREE!!!


Kelly is also going to be part of an experimental program. There is a new drug that they want to try on her. The Dr. has sent over a nurse to monitor Kelly. However, the nurse will not know if Kelly has been given a placebo or the real medication. Kelly can tell us more about that later. She will be involved with this program for a while and has to submit reports as she progresses.


You just know that all of our Pet Talk prayers have been heard!

Hugs to you all!

07-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Yay! Yay! Yay! Thanks for the update Gini! I know we all have been holding our breath for this news. I'm so glad that everything went well and that's neat that Kelly will be part of an experimental group. Hopefully it will help others like her to feel better.

Congratulations to Kelly on her first day of a new and pain free life! :D

I love you, chica! :D


07-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Oh THANK GOD she's out and on the mend. I do pray this is the long-awaited relief she so deserves.

You'll be in the pink soon, friend!!


Thanks for letting us know, Gini!

smokey the elder
07-26-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm glad the surgery went well. Kelly has a lot of courage to take part in a clinical trial like that, especially since she doesn't know if she's getting the real drugs or not.

Pass along some cyber hugs for me!

07-26-2005, 01:17 PM
I just had to go to a private office because I started crying at my desk..... tears of joy, tears of hope, tears of love being zipzapped back and forth across the nation and the seas. Thanks for the update Gini, maybe now I can get a little work done. I've been pretty useless most of the day - just waiting. Rest up and stay strong dear Kelly. Please know, even as you sleep, that you are loved and cherished.

07-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by lbaker
Rest up and stay strong dear Kelly. Please know, even as you sleep, that you are loved and cherished.

"Ain't it the truth?"

After posting I just broke into tears.................this dear sweet girl - so brave!

07-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Yay! :) I am SO glad it went well! :D Here's to a speedy recovery! (((hugs))) We love you Kelly! You are still in my thoughts and prayers.

07-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Leaky Eye Syndrome here.

I am so relieved that Kelly is going to be okay!!

We love you Kelly!!!

07-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Thank you, Gini, for the update. I think we have all been sitting on pins and needles today, just waiting on some word.

A paper cut? :confused: Sounds so "simple" doesn't it? But with the kind of recovery she has ahead, I wouldn't think it was all that simple! If she feels better, then it will have all been worth it. I hope it only hurts like a paper cut. Wouldn't that be wonderful (even if those things are annoying as heck)?

Get well soon, Kelly!!!!! :D


07-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Oh, that's WONDERFUL news!! Thanks so much for posting. Can't wait to see you back here and pain-free Kelly!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Aw Gini, how sweet of you to post this!!

Get better soon, dear Kelly, you deserve this so much!! I hope that this new medicine will make you better for ever and ever!!

* HUGS !!!!*

07-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Even though Kelly doesn't have a room number yet - still in recovery..........as soon as I get it I will post it for all of you. I just called the hospital and she is still in recovery at 11:44 am my time.

The phone number for Cedars Sinai Hospital is

(310) 423 - 3277

Cedars Sinai Hospital
8700 Beverly Boulevard
Los Angeles, California 90048

Kelly will be in the hospital until Saturday or Sunday - her Mom didn't know for sure.

07-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Whew! Let the healing begin! Kelly, our thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

07-26-2005, 01:48 PM
WONDERFUL news!! I'm so glad everything went well. Kelly, will be in my thoughts and prayers.

07-26-2005, 01:50 PM
It is so nice to hear the good news.

Get well soon, Kelly!

07-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the update, Gini. I'm so excited for her to feel better and start her new pain-free life! :)


Ally Cat's Mommy
07-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the update Gini!!

Hoping and praying that this is the start of a wonderful pain-free chapter of Kelly's life!!!

07-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Good news! Meowy celbratory congratulations and hopes for a quick recovery!

07-26-2005, 02:07 PM
That is great news! I hope the doctors are right in saying she'll have no more pain. Maybe that new experimental drug will help, too. Glad the operation was a success.

07-26-2005, 02:07 PM
I just spoke with people from the hospital and unfortunately they seem not to offer, or even to have heard of - the email cards for patients program. They did sound interested though so hopefully it won't be long before that service is routinely offered by many hospitals, not just a few. In the meantime, good old fashioned get well cards sent to the home or something are always welcome I'm sure :cool:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by gini
The section that they removed and then resectioned is indeed diseased. However, what is remaining looks very good and clean.

Whew! So glad that's over with.

I think the above two sentences are two of the most important. First of all that the section actually was diseased thus confirming that this was the cause of all her pain. And secondly that they got it all and the rest is good and clean thus confirming that the surgery will indeed be successful for her and she should be pain free from now on! Well....once she heals of course. ;)

She has been so strong through all of this and I just know this is the start of a whole new life for her! Yipee!!!

....now....who's got some kleenex.....;)

07-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Wonderful news!! :D :) :D

Thanks for letting us know, Gini! :D

Killearn Kitties
07-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks Gini! I'm so pleased to hear such encouraging news. I hope this is the beginning of a much more comfortable life! :D

07-26-2005, 02:55 PM
I agree with Debbie. It sounds as if there is a very good chance that this surgery will be the solution to her continuing and often overwhelming problem.

Kelly, you deserve a break and this is it. No surgery is a breeze, but I'm thinking this one may be well worth it. Like Zippy said, soon you will the
in the pink.

Of course you know how many of us are praying for a speedy recovery and sending up prayers of gratitude for what has already been accomplished.

Thanks for the update, Gini.

07-26-2005, 03:11 PM
This is wonderful news indeed! I'm so excited for you Kelly, to think of you being pain-free without the misery of what you've been going through for so long. Thoughts and prayers go out to you that your recovery is quick and smooth. {{Gentle hugs}} to you.

07-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by gini

The phone number for Cedars Sinai Hospital is

(310) 423 - 3277

Cedars Sinai Hospital
8700 Beverly Boulevard
Los Angeles, California 90048

Kelly will be in the hospital until Saturday or Sunday - her Mom didn't know for sure.

07-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Thank you for the update Gini! Kelly do you have any idea how many people had you in their thoughts and prayers today? I just best you do, because we all just had our prayers answered! I hope that your recovery will be smoothe and you will soon be back posting about how good you feel! :cool:

07-26-2005, 03:39 PM
Great news!!

Thank you for the update Gini!

07-26-2005, 03:43 PM
I agree with Debbie and Rachel- it is great they could put the finger (literally ;)) on the problem. It is so worrying if there is all that pain and the reason is not known.

Now every step will be towards a better future:)

07-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Thank God Kelly is alright! :) So glad to hear an update! Prayers, (((((HUGS))))) and many get well wishes to you Kelly! You're such a strong person! :D QUICK RECOVERY!


P.S. Somebody must carry on Kelly's colour for her posts! ;)

07-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Oh Gini thank you so much for letting us know that Kelly got through the surgery alright. I really hope that was the cause of her pain and now she will feel good.
Surgery sounded like a breeze, glad it's over for you girl:D

07-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Thank you, Gini.
I can't wait to have our happy, healthy Kelly back with us.

07-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Whew. Wonderful news.

Prayers continueing for quick, painfree recovery.

07-26-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Kelly's surgery is done and she is on her way to recovery!!! We love you!!! (((HUGS))):D

07-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Such fantastic news. I can't wait to hear about when Kelly is truly PAIN FREE!!!

07-26-2005, 05:05 PM
I hope and pray Kelly is pain free now! Thank's for the update! :)

07-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Hooray for Kelly! What FABULOUS news! We're all cheering for her recovery.

07-26-2005, 05:30 PM
I just saw this, WOW what wonderful news! I've been away from the computer all day, but kept thinking of her and praying and wishing things would go good for her. So glad that things went well! PT prayers do work!

07-26-2005, 05:56 PM
THANK YOU! I had to get on a plane today to go to work and I was sending good thoughts Kelly's way the whole flight. I'm so glad someone is keeping in touch with her family because I've been so worried. Thanks again for letting us know. Lisa

07-26-2005, 07:33 PM
so glad she's doing ok!
I was just about to ask if they had the "email a patient" program, but saw someone post that they do not have it. Last year my Mom had a bad stroke & the hospital she was in offered that & she got a ton of them from the dog group I was in at that time....and was so excited!

07-26-2005, 11:06 PM

07-27-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the update Gini.:D I'm so glad to hear that Kelly's surgery went well and that now after she heals, she should have a pain free life once again.:D Please take care Kelly and I hope you feel better very soon. ((((HUGS))))

07-27-2005, 08:13 AM
What wonderful news. I'm so releived to hear that the surgery is over and done with and that all went well.

Kelly...sendings some light cyber hugs ((((hugs))))) I don't want to squeeze you too hard. ;)

07-27-2005, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the update Gini! I'm so happy to hear the surgery went well. :D

08-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Just reading through all these amazingly sweet threads. Thank you all. :)

I'll give you my take on what all happened here:

Mom picked me up at 4:30 a.m. on Tuesday, 7/26. We arrived at Cedars in about 30 minutes because there was almost no one else on the roads. We parked in the area we were directed to and walked up to the admitting area in the South tower.

I told them my name and my surgeon's name and sat down. Mom went to the bathroom and while she was gone, two woman came in. Happily laughing...although I could tell they were a tiny bit nervous. They were joking about how one wanted the other to be careful in the parking lot - as she was carrying her new kidney. They had a CUTE little argument on who's kidney it actually really was. ♥ People are amazing....and it brought a smile to my face - and to mom's when I relayed the story.

About 10 minutes later, a man came down and called a few of our names. We traveled up the elevator to special waiting room and waited to be called.

I was called, registered and given my hospital band and told to sit down until called again.

About 15 minutes later, about 5 or 6 of us were called and told to say "goodbye" to our loved ones until we were in recovery. The woman next to me looks at her daugther and granddaughter and goes, "They can't go with me?" and looked worried. I told her, "I'll go with you!" and she smiled a bit. I was nervous, but more because it was new, not because I was scared.

We were taken to the recovery room and told to put on our surgery "outfit": gown, haircap and bootie thingys. My nurses came by and spoke with me...bringing me a nice, warm blanket. My anesthesiologist and his student started my IV and my surgeon came in. He gave me the first dose of the experimental drug and asked if he could send a portion of my intestine out for research. I gladly approved and signed my intestine away.

My nurse put on these pantyhose thingys and hooked my legs up to these inflatable things that would massage my legs for my entire stay when I was in bed. I guess this was to prevent blood clots. It was great!! :)

They wheeled me into the surgery room after my anesthesiologist gave me something in my IV. It was from an orange syringe and I remember telling him that euthanasia juice is pink...making sure he wasn't giving me pink stuff. ;) They seemed to enjoy that.

Once in the surgery room, I moved to my table and laid my head in the "donut" pillow. I don't remember much....just waking up and feeling them pulling my breathing tube. (Thank GOD, I worked at a vet and knew what they were doing. I think it would have freaked me out not knowing what it was.) I awoke in recovery in a ton of pain! I didn't much like my recovery nurse because she was pretty blaise about me being in pain. She told me that because I'm so used to taking pain meds, my tolerance is MUCH higher and with the experimental drug I was on, they can only give me so much in an alotted time. Yea....didn't care at that point...just wanted to be out of pain.

That first day was pretty much a blur. I remember seeing my mom once they wheeled me to my room. I remember seeing mom asleep on my couch (in my room) and getting Karen's flowers and stuffed Jonah/Marius kitty. My room was AMAZING!! It was private, huge, had gorgeous views and a PINK wall!! :)

The second day was OK. I was in pain, but had my pain button, so that kept it tolerable. It was hard to sleep because I was afraid of my incision and was uncomfortable about moving. They gave me clear liquids and I was able to sit up in a chair vs. the bed. Got some amazing PINK flowers from Mom, Gini, Slick and Michelle. :)

The third day (Thursday) I was MUCH more alert and they removed my cathetar (SO not a big deal, I was amazed!!) and was able to walk some. I was a GOOD patient and went potty...but that really, really scared me. OF COURSE there would be blood...I knew that, but wasn't prepared and freaked myself out for the rest of the day. I was so scared and didn't know how to make it better. I prayed and prayed and couldn't get calm. They couldn't give me any anxiety medication because of the experimental drug I was on...and I stupidly stopped using my pain button because I was scared. Finally, mom told me to have my nurse call the chaplan and when she got there, she really made me feel better. We prayed and talked about God, His plan, illness and hospitals. I felt SO much better then. My surgeon told them to bring me camomile tea, get in bed and to USE my pain button. ;) Gini and Mom came in the evening and I was MUCH better.

I awoke at 6:30 a.m. on Friday to my surgeon and his partner. They told me I looked great and that I could go home!! :) I was sooooo happy! Called mom and was on the way home around noon.

We (mom, my nurse and I) think they gave me the actual drug and not the placebo because normally, I'd have to stay admitted until at least Sunday. My nurses and doctors were amazed I was doing so well!!! Yay for the experimental drug!!!

I've been a tiny bit better each day. A little stronger, a little more flexible. My doctors have taken me off one of my medicines...that's 8 pills a day I no longer have to take. YAY!!! :)

I have until September 1st to get well...and I think that's perfect. I can't lift anything, can't bend all that well, can't do a lot...but with time, I'll be normal again. I can tell a difference each day...I don't feel as utterly run down like I've felt for the past 8 years. I'm so excited!! I really, really, hope and pray this is the answer.

When had my re-check at the surgeon's office on Friday and he said I was healing well. I can shower and all that...just no baths until the bandages fall off.

I had lots of questions for the surgeon I neglected to ask in the hospital. I guess what he took out was red and thick...not at all healthy tissue. Like a few of you said, I was relieved there was a REASON for my pain. He said that he removed the damaged area, I still had crohn's in me. That we're keeping me on a few of the meds to keep it at bay.

Anyway I'm really glad to be home with my fuzzies. :) I'll update with pictures soon.

Thank you all so much for your love and concern. It really helps.

Love ya,
Kelly xoxox