PDA

View Full Version : butter vs margarine

finn's mom
06-21-2005, 08:17 PM
not sure how true this is, but, glad i don't eat it. :) i just copied and pasted this from an email i just read. enjoy! ;)

Facts about Butter vs Margarine

DO YOU KNOW...the difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories. Butter is slightly higher in
saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams. Eating margarine can
increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of
butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other
foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only
because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the
flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around
for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..

Very high in trans fatty acids...

Triple risk of coronary heart disease.

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol)

Lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol) ..

Increases the risk of cancers by up to five fold...

Lowers quality of breast milk...

Decreases immune response...

Decreases insulin response.

And here are the most disturbing facts....

HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC....... And
margarine is initially BLACK, but it is DYED YELLOW to look like
butter. These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine
for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen
is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance)..

YOU can try this yourself: purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in
your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a
couple of things: no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go
near it (that should tell you something) ... it does not rot or smell
differently because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on
it...even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not find a home to
grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your
Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(Butter them up!)

Jadapit
06-21-2005, 08:18 PM
I got that same email!;) After I read it I switched to butter. They are right it does taste a lot better.:)

PJ's Mom
06-21-2005, 08:25 PM
I've used butter for a long time now. it tastes better. :)

finn's mom
06-21-2005, 08:25 PM
it does taste a lot better! :)

buckner
06-21-2005, 08:30 PM
I knew about Margarine being plastic a long time ago. When I found out I was allergic to dairy products, none of my friends believed me. I told them I was not eating plastic, and I could not eat butter. But now, I'm not so allergic to butter, but I just choose not to eat either if given the choice (obviously, in some things it's NEEDED) because it's unneeded calories and fat, for both.

Very interesting article though. I'll have to save this thread and show it to people. :p

Giselle
06-21-2005, 08:32 PM
One molecule away from plastic? Huh, that sounds like that whole Swiffer junk and it being "one molecule away from antifreeze". :rolleyes:

Honestly, I wouldn't take this e-mail very seriously.

Plus, it's chain mail isn't it? :p

dukedogsmom
06-21-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm not that crazy about butter but this is scary! I use move over butter. Guess I might not be using anything at all any more.

Lady's Human
06-21-2005, 08:34 PM
The bit about margarine being close to plastic is true, but there are MANY foods that are one atomic bond away from being inedible.

Margarine is not black before being dyed, it's whitish and when first produced was required by law to be sold as is with a dye packet separately so it wouldn't be mistaken for butter. How would you dye something yellow if it was naturally black?

finn's mom
06-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Giselle
One molecule away from plastic? Huh, that sounds like that whole Swiffer junk and it being "one molecule away from antifreeze". :rolleyes:

ha ha, that's why i put my own little disclaimer at the start of it. some of it i believe. some of it makes me go....hmmmmm......

i don't consider all forwarded stuff to be chain mail, but, if that's what you meant, then, yeah. it was forwarded to a few people. i'll forward it to a couple, maybe. not sure yet. :) but, i remember that stuff about swiffer, too.

dukedogsmom
06-21-2005, 08:37 PM
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

finn's mom
06-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Cool, Val. That's what I was figuring.... ;) That whole bit about the molecule thing made me giggle. :)

Samantha Puppy
06-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Ohhhh butter is so yummy... One reason I couldn't wait to get married and into my own household was so I could use butter instead of margarine like my mom did.

carole
06-21-2005, 09:16 PM
I certainly don't believe everything I read, if so we would not beable to eat anything really, however we are Margerine eaters here in this household, we have a brand called Lite Olivani, it is not high in bad fats, and is generally good for you, well so it says on the packet.

I rarely eat the stuff, except maybe on some toast, but I never put it on sandwhiches,so my consumption is very low.

K9soul
06-21-2005, 09:33 PM
We use butter here too. It's really starting to come out more and more that "lower fat" doesn't always mean "healthier/better for you." We really try to avoid synthetic or heavily processed foods.

finn's mom
06-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
We use butter here too. It's really starting to come out more and more that "lower fat" doesn't always mean "healthier/better for you." We really try to avoid synthetic or heavily processed foods.

Yeah, I try to avoid trans fats, but, not fat altogether. If I don't use butter, I use this stuff called Fleishman's and I use the type made with olive oil, so there are no trans fats. :)

carole
06-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Olivani is considered a mono-saturated reduced fat spread made with olive oil, so not sure if you class that as margerine,, it is dairy free,contains 50 percent less salt than most margerines., and 30 percent less fat ,and is cholestrol free, I cannot vouch that eating a low fat diet keeps the weight off, but my cholestrol is only 3.6 which is very good, and has come down from 4.3 which was also considered good, the old saying just because you don't look healthy on the outside does not mean you are not healthy on the inside.:)

popcornbird
06-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I've known that for years. We don't buy margarine at all. If we're going to use a spread on toast, it is butter. For cakes, cookies, etc. it is either butter or olive oil. No margarine, crisco, etc. enters our household. Yeah...butter's not 'healthy', but margarine is much worse. Our relatives think we're crazy....they're so convinced butter is a poison for the body and margarine is the way to go. :rolleyes: NOT true. Oh well. Butter tastes better, and is more natural, so there! :p Trans fats are a big NO-NO.

CagneyDog
06-21-2005, 10:08 PM
We eat butter. I think it tastes much better than mararine.

NoahsMommy
06-21-2005, 10:15 PM
I've always only used butter...when you look at the ingredients, there are two...margarine has a billion! That's not healthy.

;)

Vette
06-21-2005, 10:20 PM
:eek: I told my mom aout this thread and shes like "oh bull craper" and even made her come over and read it for herself.. and she still doesnt believe it..LOL

yet if you looked on magarine,, id be a bunch of big words that cant be pronounced.. she just kinda blinked at me when i said that...

carole
06-21-2005, 11:05 PM
I am still not convinced, I am staying with the marg all the same, bit ironic really as NZ is well known for its dairy products, especially butter.

Oggyflute
06-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Thats true Carole. NZ butter would be close to the best in the world, as are all of ther dairy products.
I never use margarine. All my recipies are used with butter. Try doing a sauce with margarine, compared to one with butter, it will taste like it's been strained through someones socks. Now there are probably better margarines out there, my advice if you are sticking to margarine is to read the label, find out whats in it, and if you still feel like eating it then go right ahead. It boils down to having everything in moderation, and having a balanced diet.

PJ's Mom
06-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Oggyflute
Try doing a sauce with margarine, compared to one with butter, it will taste like it's been strained through someones socks.

LOL Very true. :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-22-2005, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Giselle

I agree with Giselle...:) . Besides, if we reason like that, nothing is safe anymore...:(
Sorry, no offence :)

Kater
06-22-2005, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Lady's Human
Margarine is not black before being dyed, it's whitish and when first produced was required by law to be sold as is with a dye packet separately so it wouldn't be mistaken for butter. How would you dye something yellow if it was naturally black?
I agree. We actually hydrogenated olive oil (in other words...made margarine) in Organic Chemistry Lab last semester and it was not black - it was whitish and reminded me of lard. YUM! :p

mruffruff
06-22-2005, 07:30 AM
When I was young, (a long time ago) we were on government assistance. They gave us margarine with a package of coloring to mix with it. The block of margarine was as white as lard. Even with the coloring mixed in, it tated about the same as lard too.:D

Mary

lbaker
06-22-2005, 07:45 AM
I'm a butter and cream person through and through. I saw this "non-dairy, dairy product" in the store not long ago and its big written claim to fame on the label was "tastes like real margarine" :eek: ewwww

Buddy Blaze Lover
06-22-2005, 11:05 AM
That is SO interesting Kari! We used margarine a long time ago before we started eating organic, and at first, it was a tough, weird change, but now butter tastes 100% better!! That is just gross about margarine! yuch!!:p

Anita Cholaine
06-22-2005, 12:37 PM
I really thought that margarine was healthier than butter!! I usually eat butter, but my mum just bought a new diet margarine...I think I wont try it!!

Very interesting post!!:)

Cataholic
06-22-2005, 01:47 PM
I have used butter for years. Nothing tastes like it! I did buy this stuff called Beneful, I think, and it does taste good. However, if you cook, butter is the way to go.

There is a talk show here on cooking, and the woman always says, "everything in moderation, including moderation". I think THAT is the truth.

moosmom
06-22-2005, 02:07 PM
I use Country Crock. But like Barbara, I don't use it very often.

ramanth
06-22-2005, 03:03 PM
I buy what's on sale. To be honest, I can't tell the difference...but that's just me. :)

Kinda like Mayonaise and Miracle Whip.

cali
06-22-2005, 04:15 PM
we always have both on hand, I tend to use margerine for only one reason, we buy soft margerine, butter is so hard that it is sooo annoying to use

crsvstang
06-22-2005, 04:50 PM
I have always just used butter, I think we got margerine one time and it was not very good at all.

lizbud
06-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by mruffruff
When I was young, (a long time ago) we were on government assistance. They gave us margarine with a package of coloring to mix with it. The block of margarine was as white as lard. Even with the coloring mixed in, it tated about the same as lard too.:D

Mary

That's weird, I remember that stuff. My Mom used to mix it in
with her hands & hated it.:D I thought it came from the store
that way & everybody else did the same thing.:)

carole
06-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Actually I used to be a butter person and switched to margerine, because I also thought it to be healthier, so they were saying at the time, I agree with the point being made, as long as it is in moderation, BTW you can buy soft butter, but it is never as soft as margerine.

I would agree that butter is best for cooking, although I have made lovely scones with my margerine and they were nice, personally I use grapeseed oil for cooking when possible, it makes lovely muffins and cakes and is one of the good oils like olive oil.:)

Edwina's Secretary
06-22-2005, 07:16 PM
I use butter to cook and margarine to spread (rarely....)

An interesting fact...until recently it was ILLEGAL to sell margarine in Wisconsin.....the dairy state......

Not even sure if it is legal today....

kittycats_delight
06-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Well...I use butter most of the time but occasionally I use margarine. I can assure you I have seen the error of my ways and not as much as a shred of margarine will pass this lips again.

Mutt_Maniac
06-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by finn's mom

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC....... And
margarine is initially BLACK, but it is DYED YELLOW to look like
butter. These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine
for life

ok, thats sick! I have used Butter all this time and i am so happy it is better. omg i have to share this with my mother..

finn's mom
06-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Mutt_Maniac
ok, thats sick! I have used Butter all this time and i am so happy it is better. omg i have to share this with my mother..

That's not necessarily what **I** believe, though, that was part of the email I received. :) Just to set the record straight!

dukedogsmom
06-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by mruffruff

Mary
My mom told me about that! And there's a huge difference between Miracle Whip and Mayonaise. I'll take good old mayo any day. I never dreamed this thread would get this many replies :p

finn's mom
06-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I never dreamed this thread would get this many replies :p

Me, neither. Who knew? ;)

cubby31682
06-22-2005, 11:23 PM
All I can say is Every thing tastes better with butter! :) I use butter on a lot of things. Potatoes, bagels, cakes, cookies, steaks (I know it sounds odd but I love it) french toast.. You get the hint. I am on a diet now, I have to use margarine. I refuse to. I cheat and use a lot less butter. I haven't found anything that tastes like it or even some what close.

RICHARD
06-23-2005, 12:20 AM
BUTTER!!!

Last Tango in Paris!!!!!:D

sandragonfly
06-23-2005, 01:50 AM
butter or margarine before 9AM: I automically throw up at 2PM. never kidding!

happened to me fifth time since 2005 began. the last time was from a buttered toast slice I gorged.. :rolleyes:

black product but yellow dye....mmmm. makes me think of black polar bear but they're white outside! unless you shave ....:eek: :)

smokey the elder
06-23-2005, 11:59 AM
A lot of the piece is accurate (the trans fatty acid, and the bit about being "one atom away from plastic". But it is violating a law of nature for something to start out black and be dyed yellow! Scientific illiteracy p!sses me off.:p

Lady's Human
06-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Smokey, get used to it. Schools are more concerned with teaching social behavior and making sure the student's self esteem is high than teaching science.

Again, there are a lot of foods that are "one atom" away from being plastic, as most foods are rich in carbohydrates, and carbon hydrogen chains are the basis of most plastics. Re reading the original post, however, is even more irritating..........it states that margarine is one MOLECULE away from being plastic. Ummm, last time I checked, plastics were molecules. Very long chain molecules.

smokey the elder
06-23-2005, 03:25 PM
You're right. It's tough being a chemist these days.:rolleyes: It's hard not to heave objects at the TV when the speaker gets something scientific blatantly wrong.