View Full Version : Injured Blue Crown Conure

02-06-2002, 02:10 PM
Good Day:

Thank you in advance for reading and responding to my email. To preface, I have already had an in-office visit with my local avian vet who is very good and knowledgeable. I would appreciate some advice, not necessarily a second opinion, but just another perspective would be most helpful to me and the anxiety I am feeling. I have a just-turned one year old blue crown adorable conure named Jaci. Jaci and my daughter had a run-in doing laundry (my daughter slipped on an item of clothing on our lineoleum and it scared Jaci, who was on her T-bar stand and flew down, into the path of my daughter, who went to brace her fall and her hand landed on Jaci's leg.) two days ago, fracturing her femur. Xrays showed all lower leg parts to be okay, but what looks like a fracture of her femur. It was suggested that to perform surgery to attempt to repair this fracture would be difficult and subject Jaci to swelling, antibiotics, etc. Also, to prepare some type of splint would create an awkward situation of securing the bone yet keeping the vent clear, etc. I was basically told that healing would occur, but the bones would knit together and possibly create one leg shorter than another, maybe a gimp, but with recovery possible and quality of life.

On a good note, Jaci seems to dealing with this injury VERY well. Still talking, preening, eating, happy, doesn't seem to appear to be in ANY pain from outward appearance, even when attempting to resume normal activites, although she cannot put ANY pressure on this leg as it completely collapses.

Any support/advice/suggestions that you could afford me would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

02-06-2002, 03:08 PM
Hi Coppertop! Welcome to Pet Talk! Everyone here is so very supportive and friendly, I'm sure you'll get a lot of responce.

I am taking from your message that you are going to have this surgery done? I think it would really benefit your bird to have this fixed, animals heal so well and adapt even better. I have never had a conure, but I love birds. I am sure Jaci will recover quickly and in the event that she has a limp, she'll be fine.

I'll be praying for her speedy recovery! Please let us know how she is doing.

02-06-2002, 05:41 PM
Goodness! Talk about being placed between a rock and a hard spot!

If Jaci has the surgery, what is the estimated recovery time? If she doesn't have the surgery, what is the estimated time needed for the bones to fuse together?

Wow...talk about a hard situation...I *think* I would opt for the surgery. I've actually (sort of) been in this situation...I broke my foot in gymnastics but at the time thought it was nothing more than a sprain. Walked around for darn near six weeks before going to the doctor! It wasn't fun & I too adapted but I think I would've felt much better had I taken care of it right then.

The problem with our fur/featherkids...they can't tell us what they want! If you have a good avain vet and the finances, I would suggest going for it. Be sure to talk to the vet (which it sounds like you've already done) to know what you are in for regarding recovery time, do's and don'ts, etc.

Please let us know how Jaci-Bird does!

Welcome to petTalk!

03-09-2002, 06:19 PM
Recovering from orthopedic surgery is never a plesant thing, for human, furry or feathered creatures! Recovery can be slow, may be painful, there is a potential for infection, and often it is difficult to keep the pateint's surgical site immobilized!! But if your vet assures you that the surgery is safe for Jaci and that the results would show a significant improvement in the quality of Jaci's life, I say go for it!! Often, breaks that heal by "second intention" (without surgical intervention) result in further complications down the road. Having trust in your vet is the most important thing in making the decision! Please let us know how Jaci is doing and what you've decided! Prayers for Jaci!