PDA

View Full Version : Pets in church!

beeniesmom
06-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Creatures Great And Small Attend Church Service For Pets

POSTED: 12:05 pm EDT June 6, 2005

NORTHAMPTON, England -- More than 25 furry and feathered animals have accompanied their owners to a British church service.

One dog barked along with the hymns at Park Avenue Methodist Church in Northampton on Sunday.

But church steward Tony Bayes said the other dogs, reptiles and birds impressed parishioners with their calmness during the hour-long worship service, which drew about 130 people.

The special pet service focused on the need to live in harmony with animals. It featured stories told from the viewpoint of animals and challenged parishioners to consider the effects of human consumerism on God's other creatures.

finn's mom
06-07-2005, 11:38 AM
I think that's a great idea! :)

Dixieland Dancer
06-07-2005, 11:56 AM
I wish my church did this!

beeniesmom
06-07-2005, 12:07 PM
You know, I think the counrty that tolerates pets less than everywhere else is the US.
Pets in Europe are allowed in many places.
When I lived in Italy, I was able to bring my poodles everywhere with me... even restaurants. They would sit under the chairs and wait for us to finish.
Noone would make a big deal because a lot of people did it.
Too bad there aren't more pet friendly places here.

Kfamr
06-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Valerie (dukedogsmom) and I attened a "Pet Blessing" held by a church near me. I'm not a religious person, but I do like attending things with friends and such.

They walked around and said some prayers and sprinkled holy water on our dogs.
I didn't get any of Kiara or Duke, but here is a lab getting his blessings...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/ThreeMuttlies/10-2/11.jpg

They gave us a nice certificate, too.

beeniesmom
06-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Oh, how neat!
Cute pic!

Bigyummydog
06-07-2005, 02:20 PM
I wish there were more pet friendly places too.
That's a cute pic.

Buddy Blaze Lover
06-07-2005, 02:44 PM
That is neat! our pastor brings his dog to church every Sunday, and he's such a good little doggy!!:D (shih-tzu mix)

Dixieland Dancer
06-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by beeniesmom
You know, I think the counrty that tolerates pets less than everywhere else is the US.
Pets in Europe are allowed in many places.
When I lived in Italy, I was able to bring my poodles everywhere with me... even restaurants. They would sit under the chairs and wait for us to finish.
Noone would make a big deal because a lot of people did it.
Too bad there aren't more pet friendly places here.

Perhaps it has something to do with people not be responsible and cleaning up after their pets. :confused: I know even at dog parks I end up cleaning more poo than my dogs just so we don't lose the priviledge of going there. :eek:

BitsyNaceyDog
06-07-2005, 03:53 PM
That's awesome!

My grandpa's lab was in church for his funeral. He sat on the floor next to my grandma the whole time.

I have taken my Chihuahua, Buster to church on wednesday night before. We also once took our snow corn snake to our church's youth group once.

Justin and I have taken quite a few other pets to our church's school and did a little "animal education" with them. I like doing it, we'll probably do it again this upcoming school year.

cyber-sibes
06-07-2005, 04:21 PM
The church we attend does this once a year. We took Star with us this year, and pictures of everyone else. It was pretty cool- everyone behaved very well, and there were no "incidents." I realy liked honoring our pets this way, they bring so much joy comfort and unconditional love into our lives!:D