PDA

View Full Version : She likes to lick plastic

fairlady68
01-31-2002, 09:53 PM
Hi, my calico cat, Julie, loves to lick plastic items, like shopping bags, plastic furniture, etc. I try to keep these items away from her because I am afraid she might pick up some dirt or bad chemical, or in the case of a bag, I am afraid that she will peel off and inhale a piece of plastic that could choke her.

Does anyone else's cat do this? Thanks!

LoudLou
01-31-2002, 10:06 PM
1st off ... Welcome to Pet Talk... I think you'll like it here, they are a fun bunch! My Mocha Bean (a Meezer) lies to try and bite packages of TP (toilet paper) only. I don't let her... Don't know why she does it, she IS a weird one.:)

lynnestankard
02-01-2002, 03:45 AM
HI fairlady68,
None of my cats has a thing about licking plactic - but any plastic bags left lying around get a - err - spray (!) off Dan - he obviously thinks if it's in the house it belongs to him!!:D
Bagel however like nothing more than sitting on a piece of paper (newspaper, writing paper whatever!!!) and SHREDDING IT to minute pieces - this is quite funny to watch too.:D

Lynne

NoahsMommy
02-01-2002, 01:17 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! :)

Our cats LOVE plastic of any kind. I really think its the sound and feel of it that attracts them.

I would worry about them licking it, unless they are plastic bags, they could suffocate. Our furballs LOVE playing in plastic bags, but only get to when we are keeping a close eye on them.

If you go here, you'll see a few pictures of cats playing with plastic bags... http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7985

ganime
02-01-2002, 01:57 PM
My kitty does the same thing. When i come from shopping as soon as i put the plastic or paper bags down, he starts playing with them. If they are empty he goes inside them, bites them and even carries them. I have never thought this could be a problem. I always let him do it because it's like a plaything for him.

catwoman
02-05-2002, 12:16 PM
My Weezie does it too!

Someone (4FelineHouse, maybe) said that they use lard to soften the bags during manufacturing, and that the cats can still smell it.

K & L
02-05-2002, 03:33 PM
They may be tasting an odor from these products. Some plastics manufacturers use fish oils to process their bags. They may also enjoy the texture on their tongue.