PDA

View Full Version : Leika is infected:(

mary_jsn
01-24-2002, 10:49 AM
The other day I saw something on Leika's chest. It was something underneath her hair it was kind of a lump and it was red. It got worse so i decided to take her to the vet. When we got there he took a look at her and pulled out a few hairs from her chest were the lump was. He looked at them in the microscope and then told us it is an infection. She has fungus under her skin which makes shed hair which does not grow back again if this is not treated quickly. Fortunately we catched it right on time so we still can save her. He gave us this human cream and i have to put it 2 times a day in the lump with a cotton. The worse is that this is contagious so I must not touch that lump. I hope she gets well.:( :o

Gio
01-24-2002, 10:57 AM
Try not to worry too much, you took Leika immediately to the vet and you said you caught the infection in its early stages so I'm sure she'll get better soon. I'll be keeping both of you in my thoughts.

Logan
01-24-2002, 11:11 AM
I am so glad you were a diligent mom and got Leika to the vet right away. That fungus sounds much worse than the one Lilly had recently. Lilly's was treated with an oral medication that she took twice per day. We went through two courses to make sure she got rid of it. Lilly's fungus was widespread and she lost much of the hair on her back and tail, but it is slowly coming back. I don't know if she'll ever get back to her normal, curly self, but I'm glad she's not losing anymore. It came off by the handfuls everytime we touched her.
We will keep a prayer going for Leika. And you, Mary, should definitely wear latex gloves when you are cleaning that spot. You don't need to be getting the fungus too! :eek:
Be careful and love Leika for me.
Logan

mary_jsn
01-24-2002, 11:13 AM
Thank you both. The best thing that this hasn't affected her character. She is still as bouncy and playful as before. i rather not touch her too much, this could get me infected. Don't want to be a bad mum just that I'd be better safe than sorry. Don't worry I always wash my hands after touching her.

jennifert
01-24-2002, 11:23 AM
I'm so glad you caught it early!! Good luck! I'm sure she's will be back to her normal self shortly!!!

purrley
01-24-2002, 11:26 AM
This is scarey stuff - how did Leika get this?

mary_jsn
01-24-2002, 12:08 PM
She scratched herself with what don't know, then the fungus got inside her skin. I know it's scary but don't worry they can't die by this, at least my case. It can be very sad to see your dog losing it's hair but when the problem is over it starts to grow back

purrley
01-24-2002, 12:10 PM
Fungi usually needs moisture to grow - is this partly because of a moist climate???

mary_jsn
01-24-2002, 12:16 PM
don't think so.

zippy-kat
01-24-2002, 05:33 PM
Good luck! I hope it clears up soon!

Sudilar
01-24-2002, 06:10 PM
Hope it clears up quickly!!!

mary_jsn
01-26-2002, 04:52 PM
Oh no, this is getting worse:( I found one in between her toes. She licks it and then licks something else in her body and then that part gets infected. She has in her chest, mouth, toes, and back! Don't know what to do! No point taking her to the vet again 'cause it's the same problem.

Logan
01-26-2002, 05:08 PM
I think you are wrong, Mary. There is a HUGE reason to take her back to the vet, or at least call them. I feel certain that there are oral medications that could help to stop the spread of the fungus. I think you should do anything possible to take care of that problem. Good luck!
Logan

Gepansy
01-26-2002, 05:47 PM
Hope you can get everything cleared up!

sabies
01-26-2002, 07:30 PM
So sorry to hear about your fungus problem! I would go back to the vet again now that you know it is worse, maybe there is a pill that can help? I know for humans with ringworm topical treatment is tried first but pills exist for persistent ringworm.

Perhaps you can ask if there is food that might assist in recovery like yogurt - the l. acidophilus might help the body fight the fungus but I'm totally just guessing. In the meantime you'll just have to be very diligent with the cream and I can imagine that's not easy, how do you tell a dog not to lick certain spots?

Best of luck.

mary_jsn
01-27-2002, 07:13 PM
I have an uncle that is a vet, he told me that there are pills to fight that problem so tomorrow, I'm calling the vet to see if there are any chances I can feed those pills to leika 'cuse the cream is not working well. It getting all over her! So I'll call the vet.

C.C.'s Mom
01-28-2002, 06:04 AM
How's Leika? Maybe she can wear a collar at home so that she's not touching it?

Cookie had fungus around her neck when she was a small puppy. It was from playing too roughly with other pups at the playgroup and GR are easily infected (as I was told by our vet). It were nasty looking greenish spots, but she got over it quickly with a oral medication and a cream which is actually something for birds. The spots dried out within a few days and the hair is about to start growing back now.

mary_jsn
01-28-2002, 10:12 AM
Leika is better, the fungus made scabs on her and now they fell off!!! The best thing is that there is no more fungus near her nose which made her have fungus all over her body. The scabs fell of her chest, between her toe nails and near her nose. She is much better and I don't think i will call the vet today as it's getting better and anyways this is a 10 day period and not all the fungus appeared in one day. if it gets worse thgen i'll call the vet.

mary_jsn
02-14-2002, 04:28 PM
Leika's fingus is not over yet. The vet told me to buy some human pills and a special micotic shampoo (anti-fungus). Hope she gets better!:(

AmberLee
02-14-2002, 06:48 PM
:( So sorry to hear that she's not over it yet. You must be very discouraged. Hope the new medicine and shampoo treatment helps and she's back to her usual bouncy self soon.

Thank you for keeping us informed. We'll continue to hold you in our thoughts and prayers.

{{{Mary_jsn and Leika}}}

Regards,
A.L. and >^..^< and >^..^<

mary_jsn
02-14-2002, 06:52 PM
Thanks. The fungus is getting better. And I'm sure she will be alright. She is still as bouncy as before!!!!!!
Mary