PDA

View Full Version : Back from the white coats with Ripley

jazzcat
03-07-2005, 04:21 PM
It was time for his annual plus he's been having problems. He's been pulling out hair on his belly and he's been spraying. He hasn't been spraying large amounts, just drops and small spray in obvious places and in front of me. Since it was just small amounts and so deliberate I thought it was a behavioral problem (he's not happy sharing the house with 4 other cats).

Turns out he has some white cells in his urine so he does have a bladder infection. The vet says he is pulling out his hair right where is bladder is so it is probably burning and bothering him.

Ripley has to take antibiotics for 10 days and he also prescribed Valium to help him mellow and hopefully break the spraying habit. Please keep your fingers crossed that this helps.

Ripley has also lost 2 pounds since last year's visit. He's down to 15.07 pounds. The vet said if I think he is still losing weight after the infection is gone to let him know and we may need to run tests since he is 13 years old now.

christa
03-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Poor Ripley :(

But I'm glad that you've got a handle on his problems . . . he'll be back to normal in no time!!!

Lost 2 pounds??? :eek: Tell me your secret! Josie needs to loose a pound or two herself!!!

catcrazylady
03-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Oh Lori I'm sorry to hear Ripley isn't feeling well. Poor Big Guy! I'm really kind of glad it is a health thing and not behavioral because you can at least get him well with meds. He must have really been miserable to pull his hair out around the bladder area. Poor thing! :(

GIANT {{{HUGS}}} to Ripley and I hope he gets all better real soon.

jazzcat
03-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by christa
Lost 2 pounds??? :eek: Tell me your secret! Josie needs to loose a pound or two herself!!!
It wasn't intentional. I knew he was feeling a little boney and sharp in places but didn't realize he had lost that much. The vet feels he ideal weight is around 16-17 pounds. That is why he wants me to watch is weight closely.

Now if I could just get Scout to drop a pound or two.;)

Thanks Lisa, I'll give him those hugs whenever he comes out from under the bed, poor fellow.

catnapper
03-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Oh Ripley, I am sorry to hear you have a bladder infection, hopefully the antibiotics will take care f it right away!

sirrahbed
03-07-2005, 06:10 PM
:( Poor Ripley! Must be so miserable to pull hair, etc. This is one of those times - if only they could *tell* you what is wrong!!

I am sooo glad you have discovered the problem though Lori - and he is sure to be better in just a few days!!

When he comes out of hiding - pet him for me too, OK?

catmandu
03-07-2005, 07:41 PM
The Found Cats,are sorry,to hear that Ripley,is under the wether,and we are praying,for him,to get well soon,Mr Fluffy Angel,is coming,to comfort Ripley,until he feels better.

auggie
03-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Poor Ripley! Those darn bladder infections are no fun.
I hope he gets to feeling better soon.
How is he reacting to the valium?
Give him some hugs from me too.

lisalee
03-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Poor Ripley, I hope he feels better soon and nothing else is wrong with him. He's a beautiful boy. :)

jazzcat
03-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Poor Ripley, he isn't doing the best on the Valium. He's walking like he is drunk and acts very paranoid.

He's being a velcro kitty which is extremely unusual. I hope he will do okay with this.

shais_mom
03-07-2005, 10:33 PM
poor Ripley!!
I hope he feels better soon.

Jayna78
03-08-2005, 03:22 AM
Hope everything goes ok with Ripley's medicine and all. I know that it's hard to give our cats pills/medicine of any type, usually (we haven't had to deal with that with Leila or Claudia, but the boys are absolute babies about it!). Let us know how the kitty Valium works out. :)

Killearn Kitties
03-08-2005, 03:55 AM
Poor Ripley, and just after his birthday too! Sending lots of positive vibes and cuddles to the big guy.

jenluckenbach
03-08-2005, 04:55 AM
I hope Ripley feels better soon. I would inform the vet about is behavior on the valium...the dosage may need adjusting.

catcrazylady
03-08-2005, 05:08 AM
I was going to suggest the same thing Jen did. I had to play around with Magoo's meds until I got the right dosage and it sounds like Ripley is getting too much. You might want to start of a with quarter of a pill and work your way up until you find the right amount for him. Poor thing shouldn't have to be that affected.
I know Magoo seemed more paranoid until I got his dosage right. He was super nervous instead of calm and he would constantly be on the move as if he were trying to walk it off or maybe even afraid to lay down and give in to it. I'm sure they get confused when their head doesn't feel right and they can't understand it.
Good luck Ripley and Lori. Keep us posted.

Cataholic
03-08-2005, 05:40 AM
Poor Ripley! May his bladder infection be gone before you know it. I was going to echo the comments about halving the dose. Sounds like he is getting too much, and doesn't know how to react. The right dose should be hardly noticable to him.

ChrisH
03-08-2005, 06:28 AM
Poor Ripley. :(
I was thinking the same as has already been said about the vallium dosage. How is he today?

Barbara
03-08-2005, 07:01 AM
Oh Ripley, I am so sorry for you! Tigris sends headbumpies and asks you to hang on so that you soon can pee again like a waterfall:)

Poo
03-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Get well soon Ripley.

jazzcat
03-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the dosage suggestion everyone. I've called the vet and left a message but the vet tech said giving him half a pill twice a day would be fine instead of a whole once a day but I want to talk to the vet to find out if maybe a half a day is all he needs.

Rip is doing fine today, once he slept it off.

ramanth
03-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Poor Ripley. I hope the meds work and that he is better soon.

catfamily
03-08-2005, 02:17 PM
I hope Ripley is feeling better real soon.

rg_girlca
03-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Oh Lori, I am so sorry to hear that your precious Ripley isn't doing well. I hope and pray that the medication kicks in and he will be back to his old self real soon.

Big kisses to you big fella and (((((HUGS))))) for you Lori.

krazyaboutkatz
03-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Lori, I sure hope that Ripley feels better soon and that his weight loss isn't due to anything serious. Maybe he just hasn't felt like eating as much lately because of his bladder infection. Please keep us updated when you can.

Vio&Juni
03-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Poor Ripley :(.

I'm glad, though, that you caught it in time. He'll be better!

ChrisH
03-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Lori, how is Ripley doing?

jazzcat
03-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by ChrisH
Lori, how is Ripley doing?
Thanks for asking Chris. He's doing better. I finally figured out his valium dosage and he's one mellow fellow now. He even sat in my lap for about 15 minutes the other night. That is a first!

I haven't seen him pulling out his hair so I think the antibiotics are really helping the infection. I don't know if we've had any more spray incidents. I haven't found anything yet.

Trying to pill him has become a real adventure for me but so far so good. I bought a pill shooter just in case.

catmandu
03-11-2005, 07:06 PM
That is such good news,taht Ripley,is doing a lot better,and soon,he will be all right.Mr Fluffy Angel,will stay,over,until Ripley,no longer needs him.

Killearn Kitties
03-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Keep getting better, Ripley! We're still thinking about you.

CalliesMom
03-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Feel better soon!

ChrisH
03-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the update, Lori. So glad to hear he is doing better. :) Kisses to the mellow boy.:D

white tiger
03-12-2005, 02:21 PM
glad hes doing better!:) oh about my cat we are probably just going to call "it" rajah since the name goes both ways. i said "it" because it really isnt male or female since it got fixed.:)