PDA

View Full Version : Bird Tracking

zippy-kat
12-14-2001, 07:12 PM
I had the neatest experience on Thursday!

I had finished my first final and went into an empty classroom to study for my next one. I just happened to look up and saw something sittin' in the window. Walked over slowly, and there was this TINY owl warming himself in the sunshine! It must have felt REALLY REALLY good, his eyelids were getting quite droopy! I watched him for a few minutes and then moved the blinds for a better look. He noticed me and we held each other's gaze for a couple of minutes--What GORGEOUS EYES! He flew away soon after but I noticed he has a 'bracelet.'
The number read 214 (there may have been another number after the 4 but I couldn't see it) also the writing on the 'bracelet' said something like "THE BIRD----ashington" is all I could read. I assume 'ashington' was actually Washington.

Does anyone know anything about 'tagging' birds? Any way to track where this lil' guy is from?

Now:
While the Americans generally regard the owl as 'wise' the Native Americans see him as a symbol of death. Does this mean I aced or bombed my final?! lol :D :confused: :D

zippy-kat
12-14-2001, 07:33 PM
This is what 'my' owl looked like:

http://www.adoptabird.org/graphics/bobby.jpg

Heather Wallace
12-14-2001, 07:50 PM
What a wnderful experience you had that day. I think that it was a good sign. I have never seen an owl before except from TV, which is hardly the same. I love having experiences like that, seeing wildlife as they should be. I used to live in Scotland but now I have moved down to Englad there are more parks, woods etc so I get to see loads of squirels. They fasinate me. There is a family who live in a tree and I see them everyday stealing the plums from our plum tree, its amazing.

Owls in my eyes are a sign of intelligence. Good luck with the exams, what are you studying?

Love H

zippy-kat
12-15-2001, 10:54 AM
I'm studying English. The owl was so neat! I'd like to find out more about him...so far no luck! lol

carrie
12-16-2001, 05:55 AM
It is most likely to be a Northern Pigmy Owl.

They are tenacious and show little fear, even of humans.

You lucky thing!

The rings are for identification and are used to gain information on range, life span, migration and other behaviour as well as to monitor the overall health of a species.
I'm afraid I don't know much about the ringing practices in the States but calling a falconry centre or bird centre would help. Let us know if you find out anything.

It is possible that it is an escapee from a falconer, although unlikely.

zippy-kat
12-16-2001, 03:52 PM
I've never heard of a Nothern Pigmy Owl. I know we have some burrowing owls around campus but I've never noticed them having "tags" before. I'll have to see if we have any bird sancutary/bird center places.

If I can find anything, I'll be sure to post!