PDA

View Full Version : Picky Eater

Lexi_Lover
01-17-2005, 04:22 PM
I am feeding Lexi Iams puppy formula...and she doesn't like it...does anybody recommend some food that their picky eaters LOVE! Please..I need some help here!

Lexi_Lover
01-17-2005, 06:12 PM
ANYBODY:confused:

GraciesMommy
01-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Gracie eats Bil Jac puppy food..and loves it

dragondawg
01-17-2005, 07:47 PM
To tell the truth since my past and present puppies all had a little or lot of Lab in them, none of them are very picky about food. Keeping them from eating anything and everything is more of a problem!

If you are confident the food is of a high quality, then put it in the doggy bowl dry, and let puppy decide when it's hungry enough to eat it. I started all of my dogs off with free choice as pups, and ended up going to a scheduled feeding after they made pigs out of themselves.

The brand I picked many many years ago for my previous dog was the Propet line. Originally "Big Red" but renamed after Carnation bought up the food brand. They guarantee your dog will not refuse to eat it, else your money back. The reason I picked it was the 30/15% protein to fat in the performance formula, compared to Science diet and Iams which typically goes up to 28% protein. Plus it was 1/2 the price per pound as the more advertised brands. My dogs have thrived on it without any allergy or other digestive problems. As always the caveat that probably any high quality dog food should yield like results.

P.S. No human food until puppy eats the dog food!

bckrazy
01-17-2005, 10:59 PM
sometimes, when your dog really doesn't like their food, they might be telling you something!! ("this food has yucky ingredients!").. Chicken Soup For the Pet Lovers Soul is one of the the best puppy foods out there, and it tastes really good! Wellness by Old Mother Hubbard is also a really good-tasting, quality food. Just make sure you very slowly switch her foods, because Iams and these brands are really different, ya know? ;)

Giselle
01-17-2005, 11:18 PM
It could also be that the lower end brands contain less actual meat. I ran into that problem with my Peke (picky picky picky). I fed him Professional Puppy at first. The first ingredient was Chicken, but then it turned into Chicken By-Products, then Corn, another Corn product, then it was like wheat or some other grain. And so it continued. When I weighed it out, there was more Corn than Chicken. Labels can be deceiving;). We switched to Wysong, but that wasn't much better (although Wysong is a Greyt food). We then switched to Wellness Super5Mix. It got a little better, but still not up to the point where he would gladly eat it.
Finally, we're on Innova EVO. IMO, this is one of the the best kibble out there. I love it and so does Lucky. Surprise surprise! Guess what the ingredients list is? All meat and veggies. No grains at all. The taste has got to be different and he actually *likes* to eat dinner. I used to use a good 3 heaping tablespoons of shredded meat to entice him to eat. Now, I barely use 1 tablespoon. The meat is soupmeat-fully cooked, no nutrients, just for taste- so I can add however much I need to:)

Vette
01-18-2005, 05:32 AM
Kirby is a really picky eater too when it comes to kibble. the current kibble hes eating is really crappy. thats why he has rust stains on his muzzle from tearing. but when i tried mixing some new better kibble in wit his old kibble,, he just picked out all the old kibble chunks and left the new ones. so i just gave him the new kibble period,, and he wouldn eat it! i kept telling myself he'll eat when he gets hungry. but he went 6 days without food so i just gave him his old kibble back.

yet he eats treats from the same brand of dogfood i tried to get him to switch too. and other funky kind of treats. ?
very strange dog. LOL

Lescoop77
01-19-2005, 03:05 PM
I used and highly recommend Purina Pro Plan. I believe it's the best out on the market and my princess loves it. I switch between that and Beneifials.

Christiansmommy
01-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Dale is a picky eater, and will not usually eat his dry food unless it has some canned mixed in, but i do want him to bulk up a bit, so i do normally add some canned to his dry food...i was feeding him Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul, and while it smells good and has great food in it, it was too rich for Dale...it has four proteins in it, and that was too much for his system to handle. So i switched him to Nutro Max, where the chicken was the main protein, and he didn't love it...so I have since switched him again, to Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice, and he really loves it...and even eats it dry, if i am out of canned food...and he really is a picky eater...so i would recommend that...they probably have a puppy formula.

My mom's dog, Ripley, is a picky eater too, and he seems to really like this kind too...the lamb and rice...

Good luck.

Lexi_Lover
01-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Christiansmommy
Dale is a picky eater, and will not usually eat his dry food unless it has some canned mixed in, but i do want him to bulk up a bit, so i do normally add some canned to his dry food...i was feeding him Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul, and while it smells good and has great food in it, it was too rich for Dale...it has four proteins in it, and that was too much for his system to handle. So i switched him to Nutro Max, where the chicken was the main protein, and he didn't love it...so I have since switched him again, to Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice, and he really loves it...and even eats it dry, if i am out of canned food...and he really is a picky eater...so i would recommend that...they probably have a puppy formula.

My mom's dog, Ripley, is a picky eater too, and he seems to really like this kind too...the lamb and rice...

Good luck.

What kind of canned food do you mix this with...it seems like a good food product!

Christiansmommy
01-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
What kind of canned food do you mix this with...it seems like a good food product!

I actually just mix a couple of spoonfuls of Pedigree chunky lamb and rice, or beef ( with some warm water), in with the Nutro Lamb and Rice dry...but he actually does eat the dry Nutro Lamb and Rice w/o the canned mixed in...

I would try it dry first, and see if she eats it that way, if not, you can add the canned, but they can get spoiled with canned, and not wanting to eat the dry w/o it...