PDA

View Full Version : Of course!!!

catnapper
01-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Isn't it always the way...

We bought a new TV at New Year's last year. Toiday the sound went on the TV... it fades in and out. I called about it........

can you guess their reaction?

Yup, they basically laughed at me. We are 15 days out of warranty! :rolleyes: :mad: :o

moosmom
01-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Did you by any chance buy and extended warranty? Usually they offer it at the time of sale.

Televisions these days are throw-aways. That means once it's gone, it's cheaper to replace it than fix it. Sad but true. Believe it or not, my television went after about 8 years. My father's television, which I also have is still running! :eek: He had it LONG before I got it (I've had it for 7 years). I guess it all depends on the brand and how much it's used. I've heard people say that it lasts longer if it's kept on alot, which my Dad did. Go figure.

Nomilynn
01-16-2005, 12:31 PM
I have come to learn that in most cases, buying the extended warranty is WORTH it. I've bought it for every cell phone I've ever gotten, as well as for any big ticket items like the TV, VCR, etc. I've rarely had to use it but it's usually not very expensive - and if they can't fix it you get something brand new! :D

catnapper
01-16-2005, 12:46 PM
In this case, the TV was on New Year's Day sale, plus another discount, plus something else, etc. The TV itself ended up being around $100. Super deal for a 27" screen TV! The extended warranty would have been $60 or something along that line. I just remember us say "Holy Cow! THAT much for a $100 TV!!! :eek: :eek: " If it was a plasma TV or something we shelled out major money for we might have gotten the extended warranty.

PS: The one time we DID buy the extended warranty ended up a nightmare and it didn't cover the item. We've had so many friends have the same experience with extended warranties. Even the people who sell them tell us they are for the most part a joke (a friend we know owns a large appliance store and told us this himself... and we've bought every new washer, dryer, stove, etc from him in the past few years.)

PPS: This TV is on A LOT. Its the first thing on in the morning, the last thing off. Hubby might die if he falls asleep in silence :rolleyes: )

Nomilynn
01-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Maybe extended warranties work differently down in the US. My ex used to work in an electronics store and he said to just buy the extended warranty for everything. Even a pair of $5 headphones.. they were guaranteed to break but with the extended warranty people sometimes replaces the headphones up to 6x per year.

That's too bad you have had bad experiences with them - when they work, they are worth it! :p