PDA

View Full Version : :(!

Foam
01-07-2005, 12:55 PM
I had my hopes up of getting a GSD, and my mom knew that I've been wanting one even before Ozzy..Now she wants me to get either a Golden or a Lab/ Golden mix ect.

I don't want another golden......After my experience with Barrett and her cancer I don't want to worry about it again. Also, Goldens are very prone to that kind of cancer..:(
*sigh*

I want a dog that will be MINE. A dog that will be attached to me, and not necesarilly the family. I mean, I want them all to get along but what I'm looking for is a dog that would rather be with me than anybody else.

Maybe I can convince her to take me to the shelter and we can adopt a dog there...
I've had my eye on a couple GSDs that could have been perfect.

Who knows...maybe she'll give in to the GSD. Hopefully I can get her permission to at least MEET the GSD I mostly wanted.
Just hopefully :(

GoldenRetrLuver
01-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Are they any specific reasons your mom doesn't want you to get a German Shepherd, or does she just prefer another Golden or mix? Yes, Goldens are prone to cancer.. just as all dogs are prone to certain illnesses.

Not to offend you or anything, but just make sure that this time you're really ready for another pup to train. :)

Good Luck at the shelter! Hopefully you can get her to take you.

Rio and Me
01-07-2005, 01:33 PM
I had that same problem with my mum.
Just tell her and show her thing off the net that prove that GSD's are just as good family dog as any other.
They are reat with the family with added protection.
Good luck
Ky rio and Bax

Foam
01-07-2005, 01:36 PM
I was ready to train Ozzy. A Collie just wasn't the right dog for me. I did train Ozzy, and I raised him just as well as I could raise any other dog. The BREED wasn't right. The timing, and amount of time I had were right.

Hopefully we can go to the shelter sometime very soon. I would rather get a dog from there other than a rescue. :)

Amber
01-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Hi Cayter!

Nice to see you posting again!

Try to convince your mom to take you to the place where you want her to see the GSD/s you really want. Make sure you remind her that this is going to be your dog. not hers. and that you want to be satisfied with the breed you truely want.

good luck!

Foam
01-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks! :)

Shelteez2
01-07-2005, 07:08 PM
While goldens may be prone to cancer, GSDs are very very prone to hip problems. Something to consider as I know you are hoping to do agility with it.

tikeyas_mom
01-07-2005, 08:02 PM
i am a little confused... you said that you didnt have time for a puppy when Ozzy was around. and i dont think it had anything to do with the breed, every dog has a different personality.
i dont think you should get another dog, not till you are sure 100% that social life wont get in the way.

FizzGiggs_Mommy
01-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
i am a little confused... you said that you didnt have time for a puppy when Ozzy was around. and i dont think it had anything to do with the breed, every dog has a different personality.
i dont think you should get another dog, not till you are sure 100% that social life wont get in the way.

I agree 110%

Foam
01-07-2005, 08:32 PM
k

Kfamr
01-07-2005, 08:43 PM
It may be once in a blue moon, but I fully agree with Jynnelle.

If you're 100% sure that music, sports, friends, school, ect.. won't get in your way like they did previously, then of course go for it. I'm all for someone adopting an animal, as long as they have time for it and are fully committed FOR LIFE.

Animals are for life, and should be planned for life. Not just a few months or until you realize you're incapable of spending time with him/her.

And please don't take this offensively. I just want to make sure nothing happens like last time.

Foam
01-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Basically..

I know I'm ready because I've developed depression issues without a dog like Ozzy. Agility, training, the bond...I've realized that over my social life, music, or whatever doesn't make me near as happy as having MY dog.

I'm willing to put everything else aside this time.
(and im not trying to be pathetically sympathetic or whatever by coming out and saying this)

So I guess this time will be diffrent in many ways. :) The new dog I'll hopefully get is going to be kind of therapy for me. Training dogs is my passion. It really is...it's what makes me happier than anything else. That's all I want these days...happiness.

:(
Thanks though...I do get what you guys are saying. I understand where you're all coming from, and sorry if i came off a rude or immature. I'm just frustrated.

tikeyas_mom
01-08-2005, 01:52 AM
where is your other dog, Darlin? why cant she be your "therapy"dog?

K9soul
01-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Cayter, I admire your honesty and sharing in your last post. Of course this decision is up to you and your family. I don't want to come off seeming to lecture but I think the main important thing is to learn from your mistakes in the past. Admittedly it made me a little nervous to see you blame Oz's breed for things not working out, and then name a herding breed that is just as active and in need of lots of mental stimulation (if not more) as the dog you desire. I know how hard it can be to take blame on yourself for something but if you just don't bash yourself for it, and you can say to yourself, "I made a mistake and now I have learned from it," then you can truly start to heal from it.

All I would advise is that if it was Oz's breed that was the problem, you reconsider and look for a more mellow breed to suit your lifestyle. I think Oz ended up in a good place, but it seems you suffered immensely from the situation. I certainly wouldn't want to see either the dog or you emotionally hurt. I wish you all the best and hope you can beat this depression. I know it is a miserable and crushing thing to deal with. My most heartfelt best wishes for you :)

DogLover9501
01-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Alot of people here have posted my exact thoughts, that I just did not want to post.

All I want to ask, is what was it about a Collie that wasn't right? Because if you were capable of training him, and if you had the time, what was it?

Amber
01-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
All I want to ask, is what was it about a Collie that wasn't right? Because if you were capable of training him, and if you had the time, what was it?

She had previously said she did everything right, and had time, but the breed just didn't fit "her."

Giselle
01-08-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't see how breed plays such an important role in this. As soon as you fall in love with their temperament, does breed really matter? Perhaps, there was a quirk that your previous dog had that irritated you:confused: ?

All dog breeds do not fit every person, that's true. But this usually applies to the breeds with quirks that require either experienced owners, compassionate/sensitive owners, dominant/alpha owners, etc. I've been around a few Collies and they're GREYT dogs who are fairly nice beginning dogs. My only advice is to ask yourself, "Was it really the breed?"

tikeyas_mom
01-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Amber
She had previously said she did everything right, and had time, but the breed just didn't fit "her."

she also said in the past posts when she was getting rid of ozzy, that she didnt have time for a puppy, because of friends, and sports....... :rolleyes:

it hasnt even been 3 months and she is already wanting a new dog?? it all sounds odd to me.... i dont think it was fair to Ozzy honestly...

if you can train a dog and stuff then the breed shouldent matter... like i said before every dog has a different personality, so it makes no sence....

i got Tikeya when i was 12 years old, and i had plenty of time for her... i took her everywhere with me, when i was at school she was at home, after school she would come to hang out with friends and family, EVERYWHERE... I never left her alone. so i really think this is BS.

Corinna
01-08-2005, 12:43 PM
I am posting this as a general answer. Some breeds and peoples personalities just do not fit , it has nothing to do with training. Just as some people just can't get along. I have trouble with small yappy dogs. We just don't hit it off the best.
I think (my opinion.) that Foam needs an little older dog and a breed not requireing so much work, to keep them in line. Perhaps a 3 year year old springer or some sporting breed that keeps it's self busy. I know my Merlin (before getting older) kept himself busy in the yard or with toys in the house.
Also isn't this some of the same behavior some of you have said makes you lose intrest in Pet talk?

Crikit
01-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Just something to keep in mind about getting a dog that you want to do agility with Cayter. Agility is a very demanding sport both for the handler and dog, you have to be willing to put in the time to train both you and your dog to properly handle the agility equipment and the areas in between the equipment, not to mention that agility dogs need at least basic obdience, and need to be kept in tip-top shape both mentally and physically.

Agility dogs, should also be sound structure wise. If competing in agility is something that you want to do, then you might want to take in to consideration that certain breeds like GSD's do have problems with hips which could prevent the dogs participation in the sport.

CamCamPup33
01-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Cayter,

This isn't intended to be an 'offensive' post but most of the things people have said here are true... I agree with Jynnelle, why can't Darlin be your dog who fills in that bond you and ozzy had? Ever since you got ozzy, (Before when you had him) we never heard about Darlin... Sorry, but that makes me kind of sad.

As for the new dog situation, I don't think you should do it. I think you need to wait until your 1000% sure your ready for this responsibility... And if you are sure, you need to go to the shelter daily and socialize with the dog you've 'chosen' to make sure that, that's the right breed for you, and that the ozzy situation won't happen again.

IMO.

wolfsoul
01-08-2005, 02:18 PM
I have to agree with everyone as well...

It may have had something to do with breed, because you said that you didn't have time to play with him, and collies are playful and energetic dogs. But for the most part, I thought you were just saying that you didn't have enough time for him.

He's such a handful. Nobody in my family, including me, can give him the time and attention he needs. I'm too busy with sports, music, school, and other problems to find time to play with him like he needs to be played with.

I still want to do agility, so my next dog (way way way long time away)
It really hasn't been a long, long time at all.. :confused:

In my opinion, GSDs need alot more mental and physical stimulation than collies. GSDs are more serious working dogs. They also have alot more training issues, because they are dominant and can have aggression problems, and training is really non-stop. GSDs are SO smart and can really keep you on your toes. I agree with Shelteez as well -- GSDs are the breed most prone to hip dysplasia. You will have to be very careful picking a dog if you want to do agility. All of that jumping is good exersise but it can really wear down the joints.

You said that you made the right decision for Ozzy...But are you sure it wasn't the right decision for yourself?

Foam
01-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Sorry.

CamCamPup33
01-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Foam
Sorry.

For?

Foam
01-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Making a mistake.

micki76
01-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Cayter here's my two cents,

I think that if you're sure that you're really ready for all the responsibility that comes with having a dog of your own, then go ahead. :) Just remember, with that responsibility comes the possibility of owning a dog that may not suit you 100% - and living with that. It took me a good while to adjust to Millie when we first got her. She was NOTHING like she was at the meetings that I had with her and her foster mom, and she and Chester are like night and day. She was here a couple of weeks and then the real Millie came out, and I'm not ashamed to say that I had a very difficult time with it. She was not the dog that I wanted at all, and still isn't in a lot of ways, but I love her with all my heart and soul and wouldn't trade her for the world.

Sometimes we look for the perfect dog for us and find it, and sometimes we don't. Sometimes we get dogs that don't seem to "fit" us, but they will eventually.

Honestly, I think Ozzy wasn't what you expected him to be and I think he was more that you were ready to commit to. There's no shame in that, as long as you remedy the situation properly (you did, and he now has what seems to be a great home), and as long as you look carefully before you leap the next time. And if you think you've looked carefully, be flexible enough to adapt yourself to the dog you end up with. :)

If you do end up finding what you think is the dog for you, ask the rescue/shelter to consider a trial visit for a week or even just a weekend. It takes a lot of stress off of you, and it gives everyone time to adjust and see if it's going to work out. The last rescue I volunteered for did that quite often. :)

Good luck!

Foam
01-08-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm ready to commit, considering that I have more time now.

I'm not playing anymore sports. I do go to the gym often, but with a dog I can take jogs everynight, hikes, ect.

I never intended on getting a puppy. Sorry if I left the detail out. I'm looking for a dog at least a year old, probably older.
BECAUSE
my family is getting ready to redo the house, and my parents don't want a puppy around to 'ruin it'.

We went to the pound today, and I fed the dogs all treats. I took some pictures. I'll post them later. :)

bckrazy
01-08-2005, 11:36 PM
I dont really know anything about the situation... I guess I wasn't here when you had Ozzy? But, I do think it was good of you to atleast admit that you were too busy to give Ozzy the attention he needed, and find him a home that would. Atleast you didn't just leave him in the backyard, like SO many people our age do! It's awesome that you want to rescue, and a mature dog would probably be good for you. But, a mature GSD still needs a lot of stimulation, training, exercise, and play time! And, you can ask Pitc and any other GSD owners, some German Shepherds do not grow out of the destructive stages. Some dogs will continue to "ruin" things when they're left alone through out their lives - that goes for dogs of all breeds. And that does require a lot of training and managaing.

You should definately talk to GSD owners if you're really into the breed. They are VERY large, headstrong dogs, and theyre awesome. I wanted a GSD before I got my Border Collie, but after a year of researching the breed and spending time with a bunch of German Shepherds and owners, I decided not to. They're amazing, but they are very large, active, working dogs and could easily require more effort and time than a Collie. It would probably be difficult for any teenager to care for such a large, active breed on their own. My trainer has a huge GSD named Einstein, he is a really sweet dog who she rescued as a puppy, and she has been training him very strictly ever since he was 10 weeks old.. and he still has his uncontrollable moments, and challenges her constantly at 2 years old.

..so, maybe your mom wants you to get a Lab or Golden because she thinks the breeds might be more suitable for you? Those breeds tend not to be as headstrong or demanding as a GSD. But it's definately up to you, just make sure you not only think about what you want in a dog, think about what is best for the dog. Maybe try fostering or spend a week with a certain dog that you like from rescue? See if you bond with the dog, and if not, you can spend that time training them and find them a good home. You seem like you have good intentions.. lol.. I don't know you that well, but I know what you mean when you say how much you love training and spending time with dogs :p

Foam
01-09-2005, 11:16 AM
:D

Yeah, I'm starting to rethink the whole GSD thing. I've been researching and I don't think I could actually handle one at the moment.

I'm not going to pick a breed out to rescue, I'm just going to see what's out there and pick who I fall in love with! :)

Amber
01-09-2005, 11:24 AM
thats a good idea! :D

K9soul
01-09-2005, 11:36 AM
That's great Cayter, I'm glad you are being cautious and keeping an open mind. I wish you all the best in finding your heart dog :). Now, unless I missed it, aren't we due some pics of Darlin? ;)

Foam
01-09-2005, 11:51 AM
:D I'll post them soon!

slleipnir
01-09-2005, 12:14 PM
I think it all depends on you. I don't think anyone should have the right to judge if get a dog or if you don't. We don't personally know you (alteast most of us don't, I'm assuming) so we really don't know the circumstances. (that's not to say you are or are not making the right choice in getting another dog...I just feel it's up to you to tell if it's the right time)

After my old dog, Rufus died I didn't even think of a new dog until one day I felt it was ok. It probably wasn't more then 3 months either. I had the perfect dog in mind. I want a YOUNG pup, a border collie probably. However, I went with someone completely different and do not regret him one bit. He was 6 months, and I really wanted a pup, but I love him to pieces so it doesn't matter. I don't know that GSD are the best for agility if that's what you're looking for..?? But I don't really know much about it.

All I'm trying to say is, think hard about what is best for your life style..even if it's not EXACTLY what you wanted. It will be more worth it that way. And maybe sometime down the road you will be able to get that dream dog of yours..or maybe the one you get will end up being the dream dog (even if it'snot a GSD)

Good luck with you decision. Be sure to let us know.

Foam
01-09-2005, 12:19 PM

tikeyas_mom
01-09-2005, 07:07 PM
i very glad you thought things through a bit more foam...

LabradorLover
01-09-2005, 07:18 PM
my family is getting ready to redo the house, and my parents don't want a puppy around to 'ruin it'.

It's not just going to be puppies that ruin the house. If your parents are very concerned about that then maybe you should rethink getting another dog. The dog could be 5 years old and not be house trained, and with the stress of a new home, and meeting a new dog there probaly will be a few accidents to start.

Foam
01-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Training.

LabradorLover
01-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Training.

Easier said than done.

Amber
01-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by LabradorLover
Easier said than done.

You don't know Cayter like us members know her. She did well training with Ozzy, she even gave him obedience classes. And I know she will with her soon-to-be dog. :)

Foam
01-10-2005, 04:44 PM
:D :D :D

Thank you!

Amber
01-10-2005, 04:46 PM
:)

vinjashira
01-10-2005, 04:47 PM
come on then cayter, we're waiting to see the pictures :D

LabradorLover
01-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Amber
You don't know Cayter like us members know her. She did well training with Ozzy, she even gave him obedience classes. And I know she will with her soon-to-be dog. :)

I know, I wasn't meaning to be rude, I just said that sometimes training dogs isnt that easy.:D