PDA

View Full Version : Boohoohoo!

Mike Haverty
12-31-2004, 08:10 PM
:( My parents won't let me get a Southern flying squirrel! They won't because my mom saw an episode of a vet show on Animal Planet where a flying squirrel died of pnuemonia.:( So they don't want to take a chance of me buying an expencive pet that might die.:rolleyes: So they want me to get a cheap pet thet might die.:mad:

Mike Haverty
12-31-2004, 08:13 PM
I cried for a while after they told me.:(
What do you think I should get instead?

Karen
12-31-2004, 08:18 PM
Any pet can get sick and that's all there is to it. What other pets do you have, or have you considered? Guinea pig, rabbit, ferret, dog, cat .... what's available at your local humane society?

Mike Haverty
12-31-2004, 08:25 PM
My parents want me to get something from a pet store because we don't have a very good humane society here.(most of the animals are sick and dieing beyond anything I can do.:( )
I have a dalmation, tabby, and fish, but none of them would be able to get to the cage which is in my room on top of my dresser.

wolfsoul
12-31-2004, 08:25 PM
You should tell them more of the upsides to squirrels. Did you know that flying squirrels cannot suffer from ANY disease? There is no disease at all that can affect a flying squirrel. Lots of other small animals can suffer from hundreds of things. Really, any animal can get pnuemonia, and what are the chances of your squirrel contracting pnumonia unless you leave it in a cold and wet place?

Mike Haverty
12-31-2004, 08:31 PM
I know. I told them all of this, but we just lost our cat Tigger(may he rest in peace at the rainbow bridge) so they're really cautious. Well accually we lost him about a year ago (2 years tomorrow).
I really wish they would change their minds.:(

Mike Haverty
12-31-2004, 08:37 PM
I'm kind of scared of getting a new rodent, because I don't want it to contract wet tail.:(
Why can't I just get a squirrel?:mad: :confused: :mad:

DejaVu
12-31-2004, 09:05 PM
Only syrian hamsters get wet tail. The other small animals can get severe diahrroea, but not wet tail, if I am correct. You can read my article on wet tail here: http://www.geocities.com/calhamassoc/WetTail.html If you find a small pet breeder in your area most of them can guarantee the health of your new pet. I get my hamster breeder friends and who are also members of the California Hamster Association. They all have very hugh standards for their animals as pets and for show. I also know rat, mouse, rabbit, and guinea pig breeders. It is pretty much the same for them... A lot of pet store animals are always sick.
Also, I know several hamster breeders around your area in Rhode Island, Pennysilvania, New York, Maryland, etc, as well as some of those people breed other things as well..

Mike Haverty
12-31-2004, 09:12 PM
Awsome! My science teacher lost 4 baby hamsters to wet tail, which really scared me. Do you know of any Dwarf Roborovskii hamster breeders near the west border of WV?:D

DejaVu
01-01-2005, 12:57 AM
I could look for breeders for you, however, the roborovski's are the goldfish of the hamster world. The are extremly fast and not really handleable. You can stick your hand in their cage and let them run on your hand and that is about it. Along with that, they do best with the biggest size cage possible. Aquariums or tubs are good for this. Storage bins as cages (http://www.geocities.com/calhamassoc/FeatureBin.html)
They also do best with lots of toys.

Mike Haverty
01-01-2005, 01:33 AM
Happy New Years!
Can you recomend one then other that Syrian?

molucass
01-01-2005, 02:21 AM
How about rats?

Mike Haverty
01-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Don't rats atract rats? 'Cause we already have rats trying to get in our house. Besides my mom thinks they're ugly (I don't), and until I move out, she and my dad are in control.

DejaVu
01-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Here is a link that has some hamster breeders.
Breeders (http://groups.msn.com/hamstersgalore/breeders.msnw)

lute
01-01-2005, 01:12 PM
how about a guinie pig!

Mike Haverty
01-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Can't have a guinea pig because I'm allergic.:(
I'm not allergic to hamsters tough.:confused:
Oh, well. Thanks for the link!:)

Tiah
01-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Ferret? (IF you are able to spend LOTS of time with it.)

HollandLoppy89
01-01-2005, 02:10 PM
How bout a bunny? But you have to keep your cat out of the way!!!!

lute
01-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by HollandLoppy89
How bout a bunny? But you have to keep your cat out of the way!!!!
bunnies are great! you should get a bunny!:D

Aspen and Misty
01-01-2005, 11:00 PM
You should do research and learn more about the animals that are out there that you can get instead of asking us. You know better about what you want then we do. Do a search on www.yahoo.com or www.google.com and type in Small Pets and see what you come up with. That way you don't buy something you won't be happy with.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

Ashley

Mike Haverty
01-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Sry, guys. You posted too late!
I got a hamster!!!:) It's name is Topaz (Topi for short). It's too young to tell if it's a boy or a girl. She's a nasty little thing, but I hope it wears off. My scanner doesn't work or I would have added a picture. They didn't tell me what type it is, but I know it's not a Syrian or Russian Cambell.
It's an orangey color with a cream stripe on it's back. In the middle of the stripe (right on it's back) is a cream diamond.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D I'm sooo happy.

Mike Haverty
01-02-2005, 01:01 PM
It's soooo cute!:D It snorts and squeals like a pig. I don't think it likes me right now; it is hissing at me!
Will it get used to me and let me hold it?:( :confused:

lute
01-02-2005, 04:39 PM
congrats on the new addition! i dunno about him being nice to you, i'm not really a hamster person. i use to be till i started my job at the petstore. we always have atleast 100 hamsters and i have to clean their cage everyday. those things are nasty little canibles! i've had many a holes in my fingers cause of those creatures.

anyways, good luck.

Tiah
01-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Leave him be for a few days. You don't want him to get wet tail.

Mike Haverty
01-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks! Topi is letting me pet it now. I think it was making sounds because it was in a cage with two baby long haired. I love it soooo much! We have a critter trail cage (or something like that) with a closed in wheel; well because I have a running ball, too, it made the wheel a nest.:D It's not a Syrian hamster, so it can't get wet tail, right?

DejaVu
01-03-2005, 02:18 PM
It sounds like an argente coloured campbells russian dwarf hamster, as they have stripes and come in the colour you described. The are social and do best living with other hamsters of their species. Also, they can be prone to diabetes.