PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Cone Awareness

ConeRescue
12-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Hi All,

Some of you may remember me. I posted on this site a few times, but I thought it was important to come back this holiday season to remind you all about cone safety.

Always remember to keep your cones away from a fire. They are plastic - they will melt! Too many tragic cone deaths happen due to careless placement.

If you buy your cone a present, help them unwrap it. They get very embarassed if you put it in front of them as they have no fingers.

Watch for homeless cones in snow drifts. They can easily be concealed in snow, ice, and frost and tragedy striked if they are run over.

Here are just a few safety tips for the holidays. I wish everyone a happy, healthy and cone-filled Christmas :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-22-2004, 10:59 PM
I will definately be keeping my eyes open for stranded cones! :D Thanks for the great holiday tips. I don't own one myself, but I would love to have one someday! :D

popcornbird
12-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by flamepony12
ooohh, the cones that you put on dogs and stuff? :p :D

No...lol! The orange cones they use on roads during construction/road work, etc. Its a PT joke. ;) People used to 'adopt' cones here.

anna_66
12-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks for posting all those great tips:D I didn't even think about buying my cone a present...what a bad cone mommy I am:p

Tonya
12-22-2004, 11:29 PM
Awww! Speaking of the ways old PT was....I was the Cone Backyard Breeder! I miss those days before they shut me down.

slick
12-22-2004, 11:37 PM
:D :D :D Hi again......;)

Kfamr
12-23-2004, 12:03 AM
Here's a cone I rescued not too long ago.
He's healty, happy, and clean now. :)
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v238/simnala2/Rescue/1.jpg

ConeRescue
12-23-2004, 01:31 AM
Kfamr,

What a rescue! That cone really was on its last leg. Good for you for taking up the cause.

Tonya,

Its great to see you still are not breeding these cones. So many need homes, and are so carelessly tossed aside.

Everyone - holidays are especially hard for cones. The can withstand the cold, but would love a warm place to live. Thank you all for taking up this cause!

Cincy'sMom
12-23-2004, 05:12 AM
Oh my!! I too forgot to buy my cone a Christmas gift!! I haven't finishedmy shopping and now we are getting hit with lots of snow!! Oh NO!!!

Thank you cone rescue for reminding us how important our cones are this holiday!

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-23-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by flamepony12
oh, see? I havent been on here long enough, I dont know the inside jokes... :rolleyes: :p j/k... :D ya, laugh at me all ya want.... lmao :p :D ;) :p

Just wait...... eventually you will be like the rest of us - unable to drive past construction or road works without having the urge to stop and take photos of the cones :)

There are some abandoned ones in some wasteland near my house - I have been watching them for long enough to know that they are homeless.....

I am currently wondering if I should ADOPT them or just TNR them - advice is welcome;)

Barbara
12-23-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy

There are some abandoned ones in some wasteland near my house - I have been watching them for long enough to know that they are homeless.....

I am currently wondering if I should ADOPT them or just TNR them - advice is welcome;)

Oh! Feral cones!

Do you feed them? How do they behave when you approach? Run and hide? Or are you able to pet the younger ones.

TNR is always recommended but maybe some of the younger ones have chances to be adopted and to become a spoiled house-cone:D

slick
12-23-2004, 08:03 AM
ConeRescue: I have one question. My cone, Gilbert, was in my Mom's basement for years and was rescued by my Dad when I was a kid. Gilbert now sits in my living room and has integrated well with Max and Speckles.

Do ancient cones need to have yearly vaccinations? I stopped giving them to M & S because of the adverse reactions. I'm just wondering if I'm putting Gilbert at risk.

Thank you for all you do and for making us aware of this worthy cause.

moosmom
12-23-2004, 08:15 AM
ConeRescue,

You have me ROFLMAO even before my first cup of coffe this morning. Thank you! :D:D

I'm sorry to say I didn't buy Carl the Cone a gift this year. Since Mandy came into my life recently, funds have been very short because of her vet expenses. I had to make sure she was healthy and utd on her shots so she could join my crew. Thanks to a few PT members, they made it possible. Once she turns 5 months, she'll be spayed.

*hangs head in shame* Carl the Cone said he understood. But I think he's a little disappointed. Next year, I promise. :(

flamepony12
12-23-2004, 10:53 AM
:D rofl! :D:D

Kfamr
12-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
Just wait...... eventually you will be like the rest of us - unable to drive past construction or road works without having the urge to stop and take photos of the cones :)

Or rant and rave about irresponsible cone owners to your mother everytime you drive down the road.

Corinna
12-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Glad to see this here today I really needed the laugh. Merry Christmas to all.

slick
12-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Oh no...you'll never guess what happened. I just went to the bank a block away and I saw a little baby cone by the side of the road. It's certainly looked OK but I didn't pick it up because I thought that maybe it's Mommy was away getting it some food. I didn't approach it. Should I have left it alone?

RICHARD
12-23-2004, 06:17 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid112/p276f68980be40d0a933423a0c1f85e54/f90210df.jpg

Shiny cone, passed out in the parking lot.:confused:

QueenScoopalot
12-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid112/p276f68980be40d0a933423a0c1f85e54/f90210df.jpg

Shiny cone, passed out in the parking lot.:confused:
RICHARD!! You drove away and left it there? How can you ever forgive yourself? Poor thing's laying there putting out an obvious distress signal. :( The least you could have done is put it back upright! That could have been an elderly (Help I've fallen and I can't get up) cone. :o I would have called 911 seeing that one. :( I've passed by several deceased cones lately, and felt horrible for leaving them there. Drivers...Grrrr, just hit the poor things, and go about their merry way. :mad: :mad: :mad: Maybe I should keep bags in my car for the next cone bodies. :confused: Wonder if I should bring the bodies to the vets, or the D.P.W? :confused:

RedHedd
12-23-2004, 06:33 PM
flamepony do a search for "Cone" here on PT and you will become cone-enlightened! I can't pass a cone without grinning anymore!

slick
12-23-2004, 06:53 PM
LOLOL Richard....I thought you'd pay more attention to the motorcycle. :D ;)

flamepony12
12-23-2004, 07:42 PM
:D QueenScoopAlot, that gave me a gooooood laugh! :D BTW i did my first cone rescue today...... look on the thred Our new Addition! :p :D

popcornbird
12-23-2004, 09:50 PM
:D

Now this is the PT I like. The fun, happy, hilarious PT! Keep it coming everyone. Was nice to see a 'busy' day on PT today. :D

green_chameleon_girl
12-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the tips! I have to buy 4 cone presents this christmas this year, and I hope to rescue more cones over the holidays!:D ;)

I think we should have a thread dedicated to cones, and cone rescues;)

flamepony12
12-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by green_chameleon_girl

I think we should have a thread dedicated to cones, and cone rescues;)

ditto! :D

Desert Arabian
12-24-2004, 12:04 AM
As one of the first cone owners on Pet Talk I would like to give you some personal advice. Through my 2 years of cone ownership I have learned a lot.

Christmas is a very, very, very dangerous time for domestic cones. Make sure you keep all electrical cords out of reach to protect from shock and melting. Ornaments on the tree should be non-breakable, as to aviod sharp cuts in the cones underbody as it drags along the ground to move. Pointsettias (sp) are dangerous to cones to, like they are to cats and dogs. Wrapping paper suffocates cones make sure to dispose of wrapping paper properly and immediately.

This time of the year is also very harsh for wild/feral cones, like some have mentioned. To help out the less fortunate cones who don't have a home yet offer them some type of shelter and food. I personally use a gravel recipie for our local ferals. I take some potting soil, asphalt crumbs, small stones, and a little bit of tar melted and poured on top to feed them. For a treat sprinkle a little bit of road salt on top for seasoning. For a shelter I use a large box- it serves the purpose quite well, sheltering them from the harsh winds and snows we have here in Wisconsin.

flamepony12
12-24-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
As one of the first cone owners on Pet Talk I would like to give you some personal advice. Through my 2 years of cone ownership I have learned a lot.

Christmas is a very, very, very dangerous time for domestic cones. Make sure you keep all electrical cords out of reach to protect from shock and melting. Ornaments on the tree should be non-breakable, as to aviod sharp cuts in the cones underbody as it drags along the ground to move. Pointsettias (sp) are dangerous to cones to, like they are to cats and dogs. Wrapping paper suffocates cones make sure to dispose of wrapping paper properly and immediately.

This time of the year is also very harsh for wild/feral cones, like some have mentioned. To help out the less fortunate cones who don't have a home yet offer them some type of shelter and food. I personally use a gravel recipie for our local ferals. I take some potting soil, asphalt crumbs, small stones, and a little bit of tar melted and poured on top to feed them. For a treat sprinkle a little bit of road salt on top for seasoning. For a shelter I use a large box- it serves the purpose quite well, sheltering them from the harsh winds and snows we have here in Wisconsin.

very well said! :D

Vio&Juni
12-24-2004, 03:39 PM
LOL guys :D

ConeRescue
12-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Sorry I have not been able to reply sooner, guys.

This is a very busy time of year in cone rescue. Lots of times, cones are harbored to be used in Santa parades, etc and they are trampled. Rescue workers always try to be on the scene to make sure no serious injuries happen.

There have been a lot of good tips about cones and their care on here, its great to see that people are taking a real stand. Thanks for continuing this valuable cause.

Slick - very often, the mother cones are stolen because of their size. Do go back and check on the baby. If he's still there, feel free to do the right thing and rescue!

Don't feel bad if you haven't bought a gift for your cones. One thing you CAN do is give it a job on Christmas day. They love to work. Put it near the Christmas tree and let it feel like it's guarding your gifts. It can help to divert traffic and prevent broken presents under the tree. The kind of pride that comes from this type of work will do wonders for your cone's self esteem.

Have a very Merry Christmas, everyone. Hug your cones from me.

ConeRescue
12-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Some questions..

Cones don't require yearly vaccinations, as they are very resiliant to all kinds of illness. Care for your cone should include a bath to remove any dust every so often, and lots of love.

Feral cones are usually very tame. It is always okay to approach a cone. The only thing to watch for is their breeders. Usually you will see them carrying stop signs and wearing reflective gear, sometimes with a tag saying something like "phone company" or "gas company." Never approach a cone when these individuals are near by. They will not understand the rescue process and may become agitated. Always use caution!

flamepony12
12-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Today my mom and I went to the Janss mall, and they were blocking off this one way with some cones~ a car went by and just HIT them!!! :mad: :( Once I got out of the car, I straightened them up and put them to the side so they wouldnt get hit again. Some people... ugh. :(

wolf_Q
12-25-2004, 10:49 PM
*giggles* I will shamelessly admit that I was the one who actually started the "Cone thing" on Pet Talk. :p It originated from my amusement by this website http://www.trafficcone.com

My cone family has grown considerably. I have dozens of tiny cones of various colors as well as many larger cones in different shapes and sizes. I didn't get Christmas presents for my cones, but I *did* receive two new cones...so I guess that's new buddies for my cones. ;)

Thanks ConeRescue for making sure cones are safe this holiday season.

Kfamr
12-25-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
My cone family has grown considerably. I have dozens of tiny cones of various colors as well as many larger cones in different shapes and sizes.

I can testify to this, as when I walked in her room I laughed at the large amount she has... that and the "lemon thing".........:eek:

DogLover9501
12-25-2004, 11:10 PM
LOL! Omg this thread has me cracking up!!

RedHedd
09-17-2006, 01:11 PM
They're breeding!

wolf_Q
09-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Just curious..is there a particular reason you're bumping up the cone threads?

I still have all my cones and I continue to collect them. I was actually the one who started all that on PT (though my amusement of cones came from another website).

RedHedd
09-17-2006, 01:20 PM
Just curious..is there a particular reason you're bumping up the cone threads? I was talking to Slick on the phone last weekend (see her thread about her cancer sugery) and we started talking about Cones. We were giggling like teenagers. Ever since then I seem to be seeing more cones and I know we have many new people on PT who don't know the delightful tradition of Pet Talkers collecting and saving cones.

Lady's Human
09-17-2006, 02:53 PM
I think it's great that people are paying attention to the plight of cones, but what about the mighty endangered Nauga? :(

Catty1
09-17-2006, 03:38 PM
I never see my Nauga...because he HIDES..... :rolleyes:

BitsyNaceyDog
09-17-2006, 03:53 PM
I'll never Nebo in his cone halloween costume.

cyber-sibes
09-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Just curious..is there a particular reason you're bumping up the cone threads?
I still have all my cones and I continue to collect them. I was actually the one who started all that on PT (though my amusement of cones came from another website).
OHHHHHHHHHH! So that explains it! I saw a few cones exchanged as gifts here last year and wondered what in the world you guys were talking about! :o Amy, I think it was you who posted some photos of your cone collection, wasn't it?

RedHedd
09-17-2006, 04:41 PM
I'll never Nebo in his cone halloween costume.
I had to do a search .... it was Lady :D
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid143/p53efc268221e9f55033b158d33da0e45/f69362f6.jpg

dukedogsmom
09-17-2006, 05:13 PM
I just had to put up a pic of my rescue. He and Duke just love each other.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/041706_1.jpg

wolf_Q
09-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Nebo has the cone costume too. ;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/p744c3100d605eaec3f70fcb06cc8b9f5/f6bcd901.jpg

Nebo with the cone collection (I'm sure I have more since this)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/U2Q/bebcones01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/U2Q/bebcones02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/U2Q/bebcones03.jpg
This is his own collection (they are dog toys)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/U2Q/bebcones04.jpg

cyber-sibes
09-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Nebo sure looks happy with his cone collection! overall, very impressive set of cones - I'm afraid in my house, those tasty baby cones wouldn't stand a chance!
We have "S-no" cones. (that's a plural no)

Corinna
09-17-2006, 10:38 PM
This is the fun pet talk I remember from time past. Glad some omne pulled it back up. So much sillyness was so much fun. (ps I have started a cone collection)