PDA

View Full Version : a Jack Russell and a cat

vinjashira
12-01-2004, 04:53 AM
does anyone have a jack russell and a cat?
Is it possible to have them together?
All your opinions are appreciated.

cloverfdx
12-01-2004, 07:16 AM
Yes we have both a Cat and a JRT (Not full Jack, but mostly) Penny has the prey drive of the JRT but lives with Yumi fine. It can take abit of training getting them used to one another.

vinjashira
12-03-2004, 02:40 AM
thanks for the reply cloverfdx

should I get a cat now whilst my jack russell is still a pupy or wait until she has grown up?

cloverfdx
12-05-2004, 06:47 AM
I would get the cat/ kitten whilst the pup is still young, so both get to grow up together and will learn how to interact. Goodluck and congratulations on your new kittie to be :D.

lv4dogs
12-06-2004, 03:10 PM
I don't have a JRT, but do know of many people that do. Some can learn to live w/ them fine.

Since you already have a pup then yes you should get a kitty asap to help them learn to live w/ eachother.

It would probably be best to get a young kitten or at least one where you know the background of the cat & know it gets along w/ dogs just fine.

You can talk to your vet, obedience instructor & breeder on how to get them accustomed to each other easier.

good luck!

Clever Beautiful
12-24-2004, 03:03 PM
I used to have a cat and a JR and whenever Bob the cat came into the room Zoe was sure to chase Bob. Zoe grew up with Bob but still chased him.

ebbys dad
01-01-2005, 10:19 AM
hi,we have 3 jack russells,2 cats and a boxer.both cats have adapted to running along high places,not from the jacks,but from our boxer puppy

Lexi_Lover
01-02-2005, 09:09 AM
I totally agree with cloverfdx, get the kitten while the JRT is a puppy! That way like cloverfdx said they can grow up together, introduce then in a casual way though! And also I have a female JRT and we have a rabbit and I can sit the rabbit right down beside her and she will just look at him, and he can run fast and she defefinetly has a very highprey drive!

Sorry bout the spelling!

ebbys dad
01-02-2005, 09:41 AM
i forgot to add,
fred the cat is 12 this year.
lil the cat is 5 this year.
polly is 6 this year.
sid will be 5.
grace will be 3.
and ebby is only 6 months old.
if the cats are already settled in a room and the dogs walk in,its ok,no problems.
but if the cats walk in to a romm where the dogs already are,its a different story!

vinjashira
01-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Ebby's dad what a lovely bunch of dogs you have. Can we see pictures of your cats too?

We're thinking of adopting an adult male cat but we haven't made a decision yet. Eventhough it does work on some cases, we understand that there are many who do not work and end up in tragic stories, but thank you all for your opinion.