PDA

View Full Version : Cookers/stoves.

ChrisH
11-24-2004, 05:10 PM
What fuel does yours use, gas or electric? And which do you prefer cooking with?

Killearn Kitties
11-24-2004, 05:36 PM
I've always used electric, apart from a couple of years when we were first married and lived in a furnished flat. It had the oldest gas cooker in the world in it! It had no temperature control at all, it was either on or off - nothing in between.

sirrahbed
11-24-2004, 05:49 PM
I have electric in our new home but have always preferred gas. Gas seems easier to control the heat - but I am getting used to electric finally!

slick
11-24-2004, 05:50 PM
I've always had an electric stove but much prefer "cooking with gas".

Karen
11-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Grew up with electric, now have gas. City-living!

Edwina's Secretary
11-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Gas...which I prefer. That way I can see if I forget to turn it off...:rolleyes:

chrissycat21
11-24-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Gas...which I prefer. That way I can see if I forget to turn it off...:rolleyes:

I prefer gas for the same reason. And I'm used to cooking on it,:)

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-24-2004, 07:50 PM
I have an electric stove, I much prefer it over the gas ones. My Grandma has a gas stove and I'm terrified to cook on it. I always worry that I'm going to burn myself or something:rolleyes: I worry way too much!

ChrisH
11-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the opinions everyone. :)

The reason I wanted to know what you all thought is that Jeff and Jayne (son and DIL) are buying me a cooker for Christmas and I am not sure what fuel user to get. Believe it or not, I haven't used a cooker for somewhere around 15/16 years!!

When my last cooker (gas) broke I went to buy a new one and was persuaded that with a combination oven/microwave I would be able to cook all I needed. That wasn't quite true but I also got a small grill oven as a gift that year and as I was working at the time and didn't like to cook much anyway, it has worked out pretty well - oh, and I bought a slow cooker last year which was a welcome addition. Nowadays though I find I want to cook 'proper' meals! And all at once too instead of in stages.

Right now I'm leaning toward getting a gas one. I've used one before, albeit a long time ago, and, which could swing it, if the power goes off for any reason I can still make myself a cup of tea instead of begging hot water off a neighbour!

Chris

cloverfdx
11-26-2004, 10:15 AM
I have always used Gas, and most likely always will. I find it alot easier to control the heat etc.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Electric. It is so much easier to clean the cooking surface ;) . I am used to that now, but in fact, I think that cooking is a lot easier on gas. You can turn the heat down or up much easier!:rolleyes:

catnapper
11-26-2004, 11:53 AM
We have gas, but I always grew up with electric. Hubby (who does all the cooking - I merely boil water and make toast) says he much prefers the gas over electric for the reason of temperature control. I personally took a long time to get used to the occasional smell of gas - and the fear that the pilot light might go out unknown to us and gas us to death :rolleyes: Yes, its an absurd fear, but its one I've had since a kid because thats what my grandmom told me would happen.

KYS
11-26-2004, 07:42 PM
I have always used Gas, so I can't compare.

popcornbird
11-26-2004, 10:49 PM
We used to have electric in the house I grew up in, but have had gas since the past 5 years. Gas is soooo much better. It heats right away, and turns off/cools right away. You can use it even if the electricity is out. You can see the flame, so you know if your forgot to turn it off or not. I really prefer gas. I was scared of the flames at first, but now, electric just seems weird. I love gas stoves.

Nomilynn
11-27-2004, 02:03 AM
I've always had electric but I really like cooking on my aunt's gas stove better. It heats up WAY faster and seems to be more consistent when roasting/baking in the oven. Plus - the power outage thing is a GREAT advantage. I was staying with friends and the power was out - literally - for 34 hours! We would have been freezing if not for the ability to make tea and sit by the gas fireplace!! :D If I could have my own home and make the choice, I would get a gas stove :)

Tina
11-27-2004, 09:56 AM
We have a electric stove, I've never used a gas stove before.

Miranda_Rae
11-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Orangutango
I have an electric stove, I much prefer it over the gas ones. My Grandma has a gas stove and I'm terrified to cook on it. I always worry that I'm going to burn myself or something:rolleyes: I worry way too much!

LOL me too! We have always had electric, but my Grandma has gas, and I don't like using it. I am afraid that I will burn myself or start a fire because it has FLAMES :eek: or else gas everyone in the house and kill them. :o We should start a club Devon - "The Worriers Club". :p

Kfamr
11-29-2004, 02:44 PM
We have an electric glass-top stove, in which I prefer using over gas.

I don't like the regular burners all that much either, I prefer the glass-top. :)

It's very easy to clean if there's any spills. Ours also tells whether it's hot or not.

I'm scared to use a gas stove.

tatsxxx11
11-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Love gas, HATE electric! The coils gets icky when you spill something on them, the heat is impossible to control, and as I love to do a lot of complicated cooking, that's important to me; and I hate how long it takes to heat up and cool down. Once one of the kitties walked across the stove while the coils were still hot and badly burned her feet:(:(:( She screamed the most horrifying scream:( And on a couple of occasions, I failed to turn the burner completely off (it was on low) but you couldn't tell, as the coils weren't red. All the really great cooks say cook with gas, bake with electric and I agree.

lynnestankard
11-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Chris I've always cooked with a Gas cooker.
At school - in the dark ages - when we had Domestic Science I hated using the Electric stoves.
Whenever we've been away on holiday - and gone self-catering, if it's had an Electric Stove - I've insisted on eating out!!

Lynne

ChrisH
12-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Well, I've got my cooker! It's a gas one! :D Not new, dark green, and not connected yet, but it's here! Hopefully it will be connected up before Christmas, but whether it is or not I will soon be able to do 'real' cooking just like everyone else! :D

Chris

Laura's Babies
12-20-2004, 12:55 PM
I am SO glad to see that I am not a odd ball. I would rather gas ANYDAY over electric.

cali
12-20-2004, 01:13 PM
electric I hate gas, and actually the ONLY places you will ever see gas stoves around here is in campers, and camping stoves. I have honestly never in my life seen a house with a gas stove :confused: but I have use one, and I hate it. I am terrified of fire, and even more so since I was making grilled cheese sandwitches one day and the stove started on fire, that scared the hell out of me for the longest time, and I am still paranoid that it will happen again, so the sight of a gas stove that it on scares the living hell out of me.

Killearn Kitties
12-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Looks lovely, Chris!! Will you be baking us all a cake? :D

tatsxxx11
12-20-2004, 03:04 PM
My thoughts exactly...when's dinner?:D Nice looking stove, Chris! And I think you'll love the gas! Gosh, I never knew people had such an aversion to/fear of gas stoves! the flames are tiny! In the east, or at least where I've lived, most homes have/prefer gas stoves unless you're out in more rural areas. Anyway, have fun Chris!:)

lynnestankard
12-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
Looks lovely, Chris!! Will you be baking us all a cake? :D

And will it be Chocolate????????

Hopefully you'll be the Nigella Lawson of North Wales over Christmas Chris!!!

Lynne

RICHARD
12-20-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
And will it be Chocolate????????

Hopefully you'll be the Nigella Lawson of North Wales over Christmas Chris!!!

Lynne

Did someone say NIGELLA??????:D