PDA

View Full Version : We got thumped!!!!!!!

LorraineO
11-14-2004, 02:06 PM
this is where I am at,,,, oh what fun!!!!!! I am enclosing as an attachemnt a pic of the city right now...

Snowstorm wallops Nova Scotia
WebPosted Nov 14 2004 01:17 PM AST

HALIFAX — The first major snowstorm of the season hit Nova Scotia Sunday, grounding all flights from the Halifax airport and knocking out power across the province.

Four steel power-transmission towers collapsed in Dartmouth, as winds roared at up to 90 km/h and at least 30 centimetres of wet snow blanketed the Halifax area.

Nova Scotia Power says the snow, rain and strong winds have caused extensive damage to power lines across the province, affecting thousands of customers.

"When you have four transmission towers crumple, just collapse, under the weight of the wet snow, that shows it's certainly one of the worst winter storms that we've seen," said company spokesperson Margaret Murphy.

She warns that it might be days before power is restored to some areas.

The outage crippled Halifax International Airport, which suspended all flights until at least 3 p.m.

Long lineups of customers snaked through the facility, which was running on backup generators Sunday morning and lacked power, heat and hot water.

"It's not an issue, certainly of just runways at this point," said Gina Connell, a spokesperson for the airport.

"The power outages are creating a number of problems. Also, a number of personnel, the pre-boarding screening staff, haven't been able to make it into work."

catnapper
11-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Is everyone ok? Are you in an area effected by the power putages? Please stay safe and warm.

LorraineO
11-14-2004, 02:52 PM
no deaths that I am aware of,,, and we only had a just a cpl of seconds with no power,,,,, so far,,,, knock on wood,,, but there is tonight and overnight to get thru yet,,,,,

QueenScoopalot
11-14-2004, 06:39 PM
It sounds like you got whalloped! :eek: :eek: :eek: Glad you have heat, and power. I feel terrible for those who don't in this snowstorm you got hit with. :( Hope no-one ends up in a bad way through this.

slleipnir
11-14-2004, 08:57 PM
My aunt and uncle live in hali. I heard a little about the snow. We got some here too, but not as much. I wonder if it's header our way -grumbles- I hope not. NS seems to usually get hit harder then PEI anyway :rolleyes: