PDA

View Full Version : incontinance

true
11-09-2004, 08:17 PM
has anyone dealt with this with their female dog?

what did you try and what worked?

Logan
11-09-2004, 08:32 PM
I have dealt with it with our 14 year old Lab, Murphy. Most of the wetting problems were occuring when she was sleeping. She started out taking DES (a prescription medication from our vet) every 3 days and for a while it worked. Later, it stopped being so effective and he added Proin (pheno....something...sorry I don't have the bottle handy), but the combination has helped dramatically.

Talk with your vet. This is not an uncommon problem at all and the medication may help, once they rule out any kind of bladder or kidney problems.

Good luck to you.

Logan

lv4dogs
11-10-2004, 10:14 AM
I have never personally delt w/ it but worked at a vets office for years, and many of our patients had it.
I would suggest a complete exam, cbc panel (bloodwork) & a urine sample first just to rule out any other medical problems.

If it is incontinance, the most common prescription drug is phenylpropanolamine (if I spelled it right LOL). It does wonders for most dogs.

Good luck

Logan
11-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
I have never personally delt w/ it but worked at a vets office for years, and many of our patients had it.
I would suggest a complete exam, cbc panel (bloodwork) & a urine sample first just to rule out any other medical problems.

If it is incontinance, the most common prescription drug is phenylpropanolamine (if I spelled it right LOL). It does wonders for most dogs.

Good luck

I think you did great on the spelling! That's why I said Proin (the commercial name). LOL!! :)

tatsxxx11
11-13-2004, 11:53 AM
My girl Cody has been treated for hormone related incontinence since shortly after her spaying and has responded well to a daily dose of phenylpropanolamine, Proin, 50 mg twice daily. DES, diethylstilbesterol, is another drug option, though it has fallen somewhat out of favor in past years due to some potentially adverse side effects. lv4dogs and Logan have given you great advice. You're not alone:) Please check backafter you speak with your vet! Hugs to your pup!

senorita02
11-17-2004, 12:16 PM
My Senorita has been dealing with it for her whole life she is only 2 yrs old but she has had problems with it since a puppy, we had her a surgery which cost us $1600! and still no relief, she usually does it in her sleep now, which is sad for my Rott cause he sleeps with her, the vet said today there were pills she could take, but im not sure yet.
He said it happens a lot with female dogs after their spayed, and the breeder we got her from had her fixed at 6 weeks old!!!Unbelievable! i was angry but she is my sweet heart so i will deal with it, no matter what. :D

Queen of Poop
11-17-2004, 12:46 PM
My Sasha (border collie cross) developed it a few years ago. Had her on little pink hormone pills. Then took up running and ran her with me. We go about 9 kms a week. When she runs the incontinence goes away. The vet can't explain it! So she only gets the pills if it's real cold out and we can't do our runs.