PDA

View Full Version : My grandparents...

DogLover9501
10-30-2004, 03:02 PM
I found this pretty funny, so I just had to post it.

My grandparents know 3 cat breeds--Persian, Siamese(only because they had one) and mixed breed!

I brang Emma upstairs, and my grandfather said "she must be 'half persian' like your other cat!".

The whole time I was sitting there thinking "HUH?!"!

When I told me my mom about this, wondering how in the world Emma looked persian to him LOL...

My mom said that my grandparents think ALL fluffy/long haired cats are persian/part persian LOL

Does anyone else know people like this?

Miranda_Rae
10-30-2004, 03:05 PM
lol....no but i know people who think their Pomeranian is a German Spitz :rolleyes:, and their mix of a dog who must weigh like 30-40 lbs thinks their dog is a Greater Mountain dog or something, when that dog weighs 90 some lbs. :rolleyes: That bugs me for some reason. lol...because the Pom must weigh like 10 or something and the German Spitz is like 30. :o

petslover
10-30-2004, 03:50 PM
lol..... My grandma used to think everything was a Fiest. It could be a dashound and she would say she paid 30 dollars for a fiest.. every dog she got was 30 dollars and a fiest lol. Oh yeah, she would always get a brown one and call it Brownie lol. so I kinda know what ya talkin about.

sirrahbed
10-30-2004, 04:05 PM
Well, being a cat person - I can relate in reverse. I recognize only a few breeds of dogs like chihuahua, german shepherd, dachshund and collie (if it looks like Lassie) - I think that is probably all I would know. The little white dogs all look like poodles to me :o Any big brown or black dog is a big brown or black dog. A tan dog is a tan dog. etc.

jazzzytina
10-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Yep, cat breeds can be difficult for some people. I didn't know what a Maine Coon was until I met my husband who had Pep. To me then, all long haired cats were "long haired cats"....durn hippie cats ... LOL! :)
:cool:

By the way, I love Tigger...can I have a picture please??? ;)

DogLover9501
10-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Well, being a cat person - I can relate in reverse. I recognize only a few breeds of dogs like chihuahua, german shepherd, dachshund and collie (if it looks like Lassie) - I think that is probably all I would know. The little white dogs all look like poodles to me :o Any big brown or black dog is a big brown or black dog. A tan dog is a tan dog. etc.

LOL Debbie! I could teach you about dog breeds ;) :p

catfamily
10-30-2004, 06:58 PM
A lot of people including me don't know a lot of breeds.But he sounds like a sweet man just saying he thought she was half persian.Most wouldn't give a hoot enough to say anything.
:D ;) :D

sirrahbed
10-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
LOL Debbie! I could teach you about dog breeds ;) :p

Oh I know all about your dogs! You have a medium brownish/tan dog named Piddle, a white poodle-type dog named Wiggles and a big brown dog named Jasper;) :p

GoldenRetrLuver
10-30-2004, 07:18 PM

Heh, I'm the opposite.
Since I'm more of a dog person, I'm pretty good at recognizing the different dog breeds, but with cats, it's more of a "Oh, look at the pretty longhaired kitty" or, "Look at the pretty shorthaired one". :o I *can* recognize the more common or well known breeds, such as a Persian or a Siamese, though. :p

sirrahbed
10-30-2004, 07:26 PM

I realize I am quoting myself but I realized something - I don't know cat breeds either!! I have always had domestic mixed breeds!! I can recognize features like Siamese, Himalayan, Persian and breeds like Sphinx and Scottish Fold with very distinctive features - and since PT I can sometimes recognize the Maine Coon and Ragdoll types but other than that - it is longhaired and shorthaired for me too!:o

DogLover9501
10-30-2004, 07:27 PM
Oh I know all about your dogs! You have a medium brownish/tan dog named Piddle, a white poodle-type dog named Wiggles and a big brown dog named Jasper;) :p

LOL Well thanks for letting me know what kind of dogs I have, Deb ;)

Off to snuggle my big brown dog! ;) :p

sirrahbed
10-30-2004, 07:42 PM
LOL Well thanks for letting me know what kind of dogs I have, Deb ;)

Off to snuggle my big brown dog! ;) :p

Aha! Jasper is a boxer. Piddle is a Shih-Tzu and Wiggles is a Shih-Tzu and terrier mix:p

DogLover9501
10-30-2004, 07:50 PM
Aha! Jasper is a boxer. Piddle is a Shih-Tzu and Wiggles is a Shih-Tzu and terrier mix:p

:eek:

Who did you ask?? :p ;)

rosethecopycat
10-30-2004, 08:55 PM
I think that's about average.

Most people can distinguish a Siamese, by their points. But then all pointed cats get lumped in there too, like Himalayans, Ragdolls, Tonkies, even long haired cats with points.

On the contrary, many people think they have a Siamese or Siamese mix, and the cat doesn't even have blue eyes.
Most likely they have a cat with an Oriental gene in them.

I'm surprised that people can distinguish ANY cat breed whatsoever.

:rolleyes:

sirrahbed
10-30-2004, 08:56 PM
:eek:

Who did you ask?? :p ;)
I just KNEW!!;)

by reading your profile :p

catmandu
10-31-2004, 12:57 PM
The only Cats,that most people,are aquainted with are Persians,ans Siamese! They didnt think,that my Gray Simaese BJ<was one,as they had only seen The darker Siamese,like The Seal Points!