PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Dunce what is FIV and Leukemia

mina'smomma
10-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Ok I'm terrible I admit it. What is FIV and Leukemia? I was looking at special need kitties on Petfinder and found some I would love to adopt, but being ignorant in these diseases I'm hesitant because of Mina. I wouldn't want to put her in danger. Can anybody give me any information on these conditions, and if I adopted them would it be safe for Mina to be around them?

Samantha Puppy
10-20-2004, 02:17 PM
I can give you basic answers. Leukemia is cancer of the blood. FIV is the kitty version of HIV for humans.

jenluckenbach
10-20-2004, 02:27 PM
FIV is the feline version if Aids. It is only transmissible to other cats through the cats biting. Therefore, these cats can live with other cats as long as they are not the fighting kind. Some people do not like to take the chnce though, and it is a shame, as they are usually very nice cats. It will not affect any other species of animal.

Feline Leukemia virus, on the other hand, is contagious among cats. One that tests positive should only live either as an onl cat or with other cats who have tested positive. It is not always a death sentnce because the immune system can have varying degrees of success at holding the virus off. but some will die young. It also is not cintagious to any other species of animal.

catmandu
10-21-2004, 09:33 AM
And sadly,fatal,for Cats,and very contaigous!It mainly seems,to be most catching,to outdoor Cats,and sadly,there a lot,of those!