PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Help Figure This Out? Please

RottiMommy49
10-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Hi I am new to the group and am looking forward to being a part of it. We have 2 Rotti's and the male has me totally frustrated right now. He deffinately is not right. He has been to the Vet several times over the past 4 weeks and still no answers. Blood work was done, stool checked, enlarged lymphnodes are not cancer. His thyroid wasn't functioing right and he is on meds for that. His symptoms are as follows.. sleeps a lot, cranky, moaning, steps are a problem, seems depressed, small amounts of blood which seems to be coming out his nose, loss of interest in most things, seems to be in his own world most of the time but has good moments, forgets what he wanted, pants a lot, throws up reguarily, diahrea off and on, stays to himself most of the time. These are the most noticable symptoms and most are everyday. I have done a lot of looking on the net and see some syptoms with different illnesses or conditions but not all. I feel like when he looks at me he's saying please help me. He is somewhere between 2 and 4 years old. We adopted him from our local shelter on Jan. 29th and he has been an awesome dog. Seeing him like this is tearing us apart. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thankyou in advance for any help. Deb and Dave ::confused:

sammy101
10-10-2004, 08:42 PM
hmmm i dont know? My RB Dalmation had Thyroid problems but had none of those syptoms/Have you gone to a different Vet,to get a second opinion??Personally thats what i would do.
Sorry that i wasnt so helpfull:( and Welcome to Pet Talk!

RottiMommy49
10-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Thankyou and it's nice to meet you. WE are deffinately thinking of trying a different Vet. The one we use is a Rotti breeder and supposedly knows them inside and out but this might be something he hasn't come accross. WE lost our first rotti to cancer of the spleen in January and are not over that yet. The thought's of losing this guy is too much to bare so we will do anything to help him. Take care and agaqin thanks for the post and welcome.
Deb:)

dragondawg
10-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Have them run a "tick titer" panel. For example Ehrlichiosis has all of the symptoms you described. While waiting on the results ask the Vet if the dog can be started on doxycycline just in case the results come back positive.

tatsxxx11
10-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Hi Deb and welcome to Pet Talk. I wish it were under happier circumstances. Certainly sounds like your guy's got some going on there. Does your vet firmly believe that all the symptoms are thyroid related? Does he believe they will resolve after a trial on the meds? I too would definitely get the tick titer done. And if your boy continues to be ill, no improvement, I would definitely find another vet for a second opinion asap. Do you have any of the larger animal med centers near you? I sure do hope you can find out what's going on with him. I know; you must be beside yourself:( Please let us know how it goes. Keeping you and your boy in my thoughts and prayers. Your Rottie's lucky to have found such a caring forever home:) Sandra

LorraineO
10-11-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by dragondawg
Have them run a "tick titer" panel. For example Ehrlichiosis has all of the symptoms you described. While waiting on the results ask the Vet if the dog can be started on doxycycline just in case the results come back positive.

I have never heard of this before,, what is it??

Welcome ot PT!! I hope you find the solution to your babys problem....keep us posted!!!:eek: :confused:

sammy101
10-11-2004, 06:58 PM
what kind food does she eat?? That might be causing the diahrea and vommiting,but otherwise,i would definently go to another vet, to get a sencond opinion

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-11-2004, 07:32 PM
First I'd like to say welcome to PT! I hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do:D I have a Toller mix, a mini Dachshund and a Rottweiler.

I really don't know what could be wrong with your Rottie though, I've never heard of such a thing. I hope you find out soon though.

Here's a pic of my Rottie Echo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/Orangutango/all%20of%20the%20dogs/prettygeckogirl.jpg

pitc9
10-12-2004, 08:06 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk.

I am so sorry to hear about you boy.
I wish I had something to tell you to help you out, but I don't:(

I hope you try another vet, Please keep us updated on him!!

Do you have any pictures?!?:D I just love rotties!!!

dragondawg
10-12-2004, 06:21 PM
I have never heard of this before,, what is it??

Ehrlichiosis is a disease caused by a class of organisms called rickettsi. They are sort of in between viruses and bacteria in the evolutionary scale. The vector for the disease is appropriately enough the brown dog tick. Another rickettsi disease transmitted by ticks is Rocky Mtn Spotted tick fever. Doxycycline is effective against most rickettsi disease.

Diagnosis of tick borne disease requires specific blood antibody tests.

Sudilar
10-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Good luck in finding a diagnosis for your pup's illness. All bloodwork came back normal? Please keep us updated.

Jamieejo85
10-14-2004, 01:45 PM
Have you ever found out what was wrong??:confused: :confused:
Please keep us updated!
~Jamie

LorraineO
10-14-2004, 01:54 PM
How is our Rottie doing these days???

Sudilar
10-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Was also wondering how your pup is doing?

RottiMommy49
10-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Thankyou to everyone for being so wonderfull about posting to me. I'm sorry I havn't been on to post but have been doing a lot of recearsh online looking for everything and anything. Monty is actually doing better the past couple of days so I hope things are improving. I have taken both my babies off commercial foods after trying 3 of the supposed best foods available. I started wondering about allergies to the grains and additives in the foods after much reading. I have put both dogs on the BARF diet and already see a huge difference in them. Monty has more energy now and has stopped looking so depressed and sleeping all the time. His stamina has improved greatly and he's happy when it's meal time. So that's what changes I made and so far so good. He goes back to the vet next week for a recheck and exrays of his right hip and knee. He has a limp after playing or walking too much so I expect that his knee is getting ready to blow out like our first rotti's did. I love adopting and getting rescued rotti's so I can give them a better life than they had but it's hard when you don't know the exact age, medical problems, and just how bad their life was prior to getting them. All I know is we love them to death and they make each day wonderfull for us. I will keep you posted. You have all been wonderfull and it means a lot to meet nice people who love their 4 legged furry kids as much as we do. God bless you and your babies.:) :)http://ROTTIANGELS.MyPicGallery.com

LorraineO
10-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Fabulous news!!!!!!! Wonderful in fact,,,, Thanks so much for telling us... we were wondering about that handsome fellow!

pitc9
10-15-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm so glad to hear the pup is feeling better!

I hope he's keeps getting better!
Thanks for the update!!!:D

I'll be looking forward to more good news!!!

PJ's Mom
10-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Oh, how I love Rotties, and yours are beautiful!! :D

snappy
10-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Please keep us posted as to his improving condition! I am so glad to hear that he is getting better. Rescue/shelter - the way to go!

RottiMommy49
10-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
Oh, how I love Rotties, and yours are beautiful!! :D

Thankyou so much!!!!!
I love them with all my heart and soul.

You're babies are beautifull too!!:)

Sudilar
10-15-2004, 04:20 PM
Glad your pup is getting better.

PJ's Mom
10-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by RottiMommy49
You're babies are beautifull too!!:)

Thank you. :D

I hope you'll post more pics of your babies when you get a chance. I'll never get tired of looking at precious rotties. :D

Kfamr
10-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Sorry I didn't see this sooner.
I'd like to give you a BIG welcome to Pet Talk!

I love Rotties as well, although Pit Bulls are my favorite. :)
Glad to know your boy is doing better.

I'm slave to three mutts -- Simba the 6 year old Pit/Shepherd mix, Nala the 1 year old Lab mix, and Kiara the 6 months old Rottie mix. :)

lovemyshiba
10-15-2004, 11:14 PM
I'm glad he seems to be improving:)

Corinna
10-15-2004, 11:47 PM
Welcome and glad to hear hes improving. We had a rotti a few years ago just loved her ,but when you rescue an older dog you don't have as long with them. Neeka was a great dog.
We now have a springer Merlin , a newfy/retever Lady, and our newset baby, Newfy chow Dugan. Plus 3 cats.