PDA

View Full Version : Really Bad Night

Joannie
09-28-2004, 08:10 AM
My poor Beaner was throwing up most of the night, and there was quite a bit of fresh blood in it, he was fine all day playing with his ball and eating his meals like always, I was almost ready to take him to the emergency hospital last night, he wouldn't even sleep in bed with the rest of us last night, he slept under the bed. He is a dapple doxie about 7 years old, and if you know anything about doxies, its they like to sleep in bed with you, anyone have any suggestions? I am a wreck, Iam calling my vet as soon as they open. Joannie and the sickies:confused:

anna_66
09-28-2004, 08:16 AM
Joanie I'm so sorry to hear about Beaner. I hope it's nothing serious. Please let us know asap how he is after you visit the vet.
I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts today.
Sorry I couldn't be of any help at all:o

tatsxxx11
09-28-2004, 08:20 AM
For sure the best thing is to get Beaner to the vet's office. Is it possible he could have gotten into something toxic? I think anything we might suggest as a cause would just be guessing. Try and stay positive, as hard as that is. We all understand how very worried you are:( My girls sleep under the bed when they're not feeling well too and it's so upsetting:( Please check back with us. Lots of good thoughts and prayers oming your way, little Beaner. Sandra

Rachel
09-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Yes, I do think Beaner's situation warrants a visit to the vet, the sooner the better, but you already knew that. Please let us know what transpires and give our love to dear little Beaner.

KYS
09-28-2004, 08:52 AM
I hope Beaner will be ok.
Will be waiting for a update.
Sending many good thoughts your way.

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Is he eating or drinking? if not I would be REALLY worried, When RB Jesse (also a mini doxie) got Pancreatitis she started throwing up blood and she wouldn't eat or drink or anything. I hope he'll be okay, let us know. If he's not any better by today I'd take him to see the vet.

tatsxxx11
09-28-2004, 05:12 PM
Any news on Beaner???:confused: Please check in when you can. Hoping for some encouraging news.

Sudilar
09-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Thinking of Beaner and hoping that he is getting better. Let us know what the vet said, please.

Joannie
09-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Hi All, I took Beaner into the vet, she drew some more blood, felt around on his abdomen, he didn't tense up or anything[little stinker] last night he was really guarding when I touched his abdomen, he also has a suspiciously looking bloody stool this morning, I took the sample from the vomit as well as the stool sample into the vet, anyway she thinks he has a sever case of gastroenteritis, and started him on some carafate, he is already on pepcid ac, so he's taking both, I'll find out the lab results in the AM. Thank you all for your good wishes for the Bean. Joannie

KYS
09-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Thank you for the update.
I will be wishing for a quick recovery for Beaner.

robinh
09-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Keep us posted on how the little guy is doing.

One of my doxies was sick a couple of weeks ago with vomiting and diarrhea. Took two trips to the vet for shots and special food. He finally got over it, but we still don't know what it was. Had all four vets really confused for a week trying to figure it out.

Three of our five got sick with whatever it was, but since he has immune problems Max got the sickest.

anna_66
09-28-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm glad you updated and he's doing alright. Let us know what the results of the tests are when you get them.

Joannie
09-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Well I guess I was hoping for an instant miracle, but it is not to be. My Bean went outside about an hour ago and had alot of diarrhea and then proceded to go throw up his dinner, wish I knew what was wrong, I want to fix it. One good thing, I didn't see any blood. Joannie

Miss Meow
09-29-2004, 12:26 AM
{{{hugs}}} to you and Beaner.

Must be something about Doxie stomachs ... our boy hound has a voracious appetite for anything but unfortunately has a delicate tummy that doesn't match with his vacuum mouth.

Hope Beaner is better soon.

anna_66
09-29-2004, 07:43 AM
Oh Joanie, I'm sorry to hear he's not feeling well again this am. I do hope the test can tell you what the problem is and get it fixed asap. Prayers for you and Beaner.

Christiansmommy
09-29-2004, 08:21 AM
Dale had a lot of vomitting around a month or 2 ago, as well as diarreha (sp?). He had been drinking pond water previously, so the vet treated him for giardia, which he didnt end up having. So he treated him for whip worm too (similair symptoms to the giardia). Now he had no blood in his vomit, but did have some in his poop. Whip worm is very hard to detect in their stool, but they felt he had the symptoms, so they treated him, and it turns out that was what it was, b/c the meds did the trick (he was also on pepcid). Anyway, this was a similar instance to yours, but anyway, i hope they find out what it is...it is no fun watching them feel so ill, and not knowing why, or what to do about it...please keep us updated.

pipersmom
09-29-2004, 01:41 PM
My Piper had the exact same thing a few months ago. However, he had LOTS of blood in his stool.

I rushed him to the emergency vets, who gave it a name (I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was an acronym of some sort). They sent us home after giving him something for his tummy and subcutaneous fluids to rehydrate him, with orders to take him to his regular vet the next morning. Of course, I was petrified and couldn't sleep for watching him all night.

As it turns out, our regular vet told us that the acronym basically stood for the symptoms, which is a really severe irritation of the stomach lining, blood in the stool, diarrhea and vomiting. It could have been caused by swallowing a foreign object. He told us he would be okay, and that it would have to run it's course. We didn't give him food that day, and started him on a bland diet for the next couple of days (boiled chicken, white rice).

He's fine now. We still don't know what caused it but my suspicion always was that it was some of a stuffie that he had played with the previous day that he tore to shreds while I was in another room of the house. He only had it a matter of minutes, but that's all I can think of that it could have been. I kept watching for him to "pass it", but never found anything.

I hope this helps. I'm sending up a prayer for Beaner.

LorraineO
10-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Just saw this thread and I am so relieved he seems to be okay now!!!