PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Kitty?

DJFyrewolf36
09-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Do your kitties pay extra attention to you when you're sick/injured/not feeling well? Remus sure does! I hurt my leg last night bowling and was kind of in a foul mood (not being able to walk kinda puts a damper on your day) and my Remus bum came up to me and gave me headbumpies and just sat and cuddled with me for a couple of hours. He NEVER is that cuddly on a regular basis (Usually one headbump, the obligitory meow and a one eyed salute is all I get lol). He gets cuddly with John too when he isn't feeling well. Usually those two just tick each other off lol.

christa
09-08-2004, 09:44 AM
YES!!! Josie is a Medical Doctor / Psychologist! She not only worries about me when I'm sick, but seems to know when I'm feeling sad or depressed.

Depression runs in my family, and last Christmas, I was pretty bad off with it. We had only had Josie for about a month, but she was my life line! I give her all the credit for pulling me through that time in my life.

Laura's Babies
09-08-2004, 09:45 AM
When Amy had to go in for her spay, I was so worried about the shape it would leave her in afterwards that I was a big mess of crying mush. Chester KNEW I was awfully upset and he stayed by me all day, just standing watch over me and would meow at me when I would start crying. He would jump in my lap and give me loving and get down and sit at my feet and keep a eye on me. He is a "Protector" of us all. When Amy came home after her surgery, he sat watch over her all that day, going up to her kennel every now and then and sniffing or reaching in to touch her, then back off and sit in front of the kennel. He is VERY procetive of Amy and is the peacekeeper in this house...... My son said Dusty is protective of her at his house...

catnapper
09-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Oh no! I don;t know how to vote! Depending on the "situation" Pouncer is a doctor kitty. When I have my migraines, he must know that a purr is very soothing because he'll come to me. When I am depressed, he comes to me. But any physical boo-boo? Forget it! He's off playing somewhere. So my Pouncer is a Phsychiatrist?

Allen is never around unless HE wants loving and attention. Talk about a one-way deal. :rolleyes:

sirrahbed
09-08-2004, 09:53 AM
I have migraines and the "Take two tabbies and call me in the morning" applies here. They just seem to know and help vibrate my pillow which feels so good. They are also therapy cats - especially Emily and she is right there is I am crying:( The kitties just seem to be hypersensitive to emotions. Eliot, however, heads for high cotton if anything is wrong:rolleyes:

LaRana
09-08-2004, 09:56 AM
My cat who has since passed on (Snoops, a non-purebred Himalayan) and my dog, Zipper (Miniature Yorkie) were my doctors.

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out at once. The day I came home I hit the bed and stayed there for 2-3 days nonstop. I couldn't eat anything but milkshake the first day, and even at that I couldn't taste it nor feel myself swallowing it. The cat and dog layed on my pillow or right beside my pillow and kept watch over me. When my mom would come in to check on me, they would look up but not even show interest in leaving even though I knew they were starved. Then my poor dog got too famished one time, and he looked back at me like "I'm sorry, I gotta go get some food...." and took off. But he came back shortly thereafter. He was so funny though because he looked like he felt guilty for leaving me. He even looked back and forth a few times at my mom and me and was visibly conflicted! Hehe!

As the days and my health progressed on, they laid a little bit farther from my head. It went from head, to chest, to stomach, to legs, to feet, to by the bed on the floor. By the time they got laying on the floor I was ready to go back to work.

It's incredible how much animals know, but can't verbally communicate. I loved and appreciated those little guys for all they did during that whole ordeal! I was swollen and bruised for a week, and bruised for 2-3 weeks. It was a rough procedure, but it sure helped having bedside companions.

kuhio98
09-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Our RB kitty Kuhio was definitely hubby's doctor. He had to have his left hip replaced back in 1995. When we got him home from the hospital and in bed, Kuhio laid down against that hip and purred non-stop until he was up and around again. In 2000, his right hip needed work. Kuhio switched to that side and purred until it was healed also. She was also known to be a very good heating pad when I was feeling bad during "that time of the month".

DJFyrewolf36
09-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Oops, I should have said Psychatrist too :D Remus knows when Im feeling depressed and he just jumps on my lap and gives me this look like "It will all be OK meowme, if you scritch my ears!" I know I can't be depressed petting my kitty :)

jazzcat
09-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Nope, none of mine are. The only thing that comes close was when my mom died and we had just gotten home I got on my computer to send a few emails to friends and I saw an email my mom had sent a few days earlier. That was it for me and I cried. Scout came to me and reached out to me with her paw. That was one of the most comforting things I experienced during that whole time. It certainly endeared that little girl to me even more.

AmberLee
09-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Cassy and Livvy are both very supportive when I'm down or ill, now. In their kitten months I couldn't figure out what my friends were talking about when they discribed how supportive their cats were... Some cats grow into it, I guess.

DogLover9501
09-08-2004, 02:42 PM
Not at all :o :( :rolleyes:

NoahsMommy
09-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Micah and Phoebe are my Dr. Kitties. :)

Its amazing, but it never, ever fails. About 30 minutes after I take my pain medicine, Micah is laying over my stomach. Its amazing...I swear he knows I'm in pain. He'll stay with me until the next time I leave the house.

Phoebe will knead my tummy when I'm hurting. Doesn't she know that hurts?? ;) Its still sweet, though. (Livvy used to do that too)

The cats generally stay closer to me normally, but when I'm sick, they seem to gaurd me. Its so neat.

carole
09-08-2004, 03:09 PM
I would have to say sometimes, and it is usually Lexie, as she and I have a very special bond, she is my companion and follows me around everywhere, she always sits on the bathroom scales whilst I put my make-up on, it does depend,she will be extra smoochy and stay with me on the bed , if I am in bed sick, so I guess she is playing Dr Kitty.,to some extent.:)

The one thing Lexie does that cheers me, is look back at me with what I swear is the most love in her eyes, it really touches me, if you saw her look, you would all know what I mean, its very endearing and cute.:)

Randy_K
09-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Family cat, my cat, doesn't matter. They all feel a need to give comfort.

I had minor surgury done several years ago and my mom took me and brought me home to her house after it. I was a bit groggy from the pain killers and slept quite a while. When I awoke I found her Russian Blue Binky lying above me with his stomach against the top of my head and paws on either side. He'd never slept near me before.

A number of years ago friend was going in for some major surgury. She was going to live with her parents for a few months after the event to recover so she moved her Aby cat with her. As the day came she got more anxious and her cat got a nervous stomach and wouldn't eat. He hid under the bed all day while she was in surgury and in recovery and only ate a bit while she was gone for three days... still hiding under the bed the whole time. When she returned he stayed by her side the entire time only leaving her to hit the litter box or grab a bite to eat and then he was back. Under normal times she always brought him with her for their visits so he knew the house and acted as though he owned the place so the behavior during and after surgury was special to her case. Dr. Kitty!

nibblets
09-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Julie is very subtle about it...she will come up and nuzzle then look me in the eye and do the slow kitty blink. She is not an overly affectionate cat, but when I am down or not feeling well, she is up for curling up on my chest and purring us both to sleep.
The real doctor in the house is our Dog, Buddy. He is the best when it comes to sitting with you and sharing the love.

Lucky's Maw Maw
09-09-2004, 12:21 AM
I have to say YES to all.

My grandkitty, Lucky, is all of the listed above but I also have to add "WatchKitty" too. If someone comes up on my porch that he doesn't know, he growls, long and deep until I tell him it is okay.

He was the kitten I got for my son and daughter 7 years ago. They were 12 1/2 year old twins. He was to be an outside kitty but health problems soon made it impossible to be that. He was always there for me and me for him.

One of the twins married 1 1/2 yrs ago and a few months later my son went into the army. Lucky never forgave him for leaving him and when he was medically discharged, Lucky would have nothing to do with him. While my son was gone, it was just Maw Maw & Lucky. He was my constant companion. He really knew I had an "empty nest" and therefore clung to me. If I was ill, he was right there to PURR me back to health. If I was sad, he was pawing at me to get my attention, therefore diverting the saddness away. Even now, after a year since my son has returned, Lucky still lives with me. He is "the love of my life" and I am his.

So, if I had to say he is not only Dr. Kitty but Dr. Love, Dr. Purr Talk (which he does when I cry), and Dr. Protector. :D

Randy_K
09-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Sounds like Lucky is the perfect cat! Hope you two have many more years to share.

catmandu
09-09-2004, 09:04 AM
When I came,out of the Hospital,the Found Cats,all gathered around,because,as on the Mickey Mouse Club Song,They Like Me!