PDA

View Full Version : Senior Dogs ??

senorita02
08-26-2004, 08:56 AM
Hi there
I have a question regarding my Male Rottweiler, he is 5 yrs old now, and i was told that was the time to start feeding them senior dog food, i didnt think 5 qualified as senior, i know it is different for small medium large and giant breeds, does anyone have any information on when it is time to switch a Rotts food to Senior ?
THANKS AMY

anna_66
08-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Well I can't tell you when your supposed to change, but I didn't change Angus's food until he was around 10 or so (he started being less active and was gaining a little weight). He was doing fine on his other food before that and I didn't see the need to change.
I personally feel it's your call.

Logan
08-26-2004, 10:36 AM
All of my dogs are on Senior Food. Two of them are 5 years old. But it is "lighter" and it is working to keep their weight down and provides the Glucosimine and Choindroitin too. Ours range in age from 5 years to 14 1/2 years and they all eat the same thing.

Corinna
08-26-2004, 10:50 AM
I posted this samr question not long a go. I did switch Merlin (7 yr old Springer) to a SR food about 2 months ago and it has made a lot of difference more engergy and has finally lost some of the weight he hadn't for 2 years of a reduced diet.

KYS
08-26-2004, 06:09 PM
I never changed sheba's food either but
the canidae is for all stages I believe.

At age 7, I started cutting the amount of food I
was giving her and add an oil supplement for her coat.

about age 9, I started adding Glucosimine etc. for her arthritis.
I do buy senior doggie biscuits for her.

Rocky is 5yrs. and the only thing I do, is
cut down a little on his food and add an oil supplement.
Knock on wood his hips are excellent.

senorita02
08-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all the info maybe iwill hold off a while maybe til he is 6 which isnt too long, i feed him eukanuba and i know they have a senoir food so that is what i will get, thanx

dragondawg
08-26-2004, 06:28 PM
First 5 is probably borderline at best for calling a Rottie a senior dog. In general the larger the dog, the shorter the life span.

The general rule I've used on food is if the dog is at a reasonable weight, and its energy level is high, then the food being given is optimal.

For my previous dog I fed her a performance formula until about 5. At that point if I gave her enough to satisfy her hunger she would gain weight. So I switched her to a maintanance diet - less calories per serving size, therefore more could be given. This worked out well for the rest of her life.