PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgh! New parent casually giving up dog.

Smilla
08-18-2004, 09:55 AM
This was recently brought up on a mailing list I subscribe to:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/zip/39683924.html

This woman is giving away her 5-year-old dog because she doesn't want dog fur getting on her baby.

I'm SO tempted to email her ([email protected]) and ask her if she doesn't realize that lots of people with babies also have dogs, and that dog fur isn't poisonous, and does she also know that there's this thing called a Swiffer?

cocker_luva
08-18-2004, 10:03 AM
exactly! my neighbor has a very fluffy golden retriever that is always around her new 5-month old boy. most of the time Quincey is just a big, poffy pillow for lil' Brenden. :rolleyes: :D

pitc9
08-18-2004, 10:07 AM
Sick people like that shouldn't even have the privy to know the love of a dog!

I pray she finds a wonderful home!

Tonya
08-18-2004, 10:16 AM
That is horrible! My baby is going to learn to love fur just like we do.

moosmom
08-18-2004, 10:27 AM
I sent her an email.

Here it is:

Yo,

Your dog's fur is NOT poisonous to children. I feel really sorry for your dog and hope she finds a better home than yours, where she will get the love she DESERVES! I also feel sorry for your child, not being brought up in a loving home that respects and loves animals.

BTW, ever hear of DUSTING????? You make me sick!

Smilla
08-18-2004, 10:41 AM
I ended up writing, too. I'm surprised at the amount of anger this has made me feel. The complete lack of feeling she displays, and the completely erroneous reasoning she employs, just leaves me speechless. This is what I said:

Your post on Craig's List left me angry and speechless. I can't believe you would reward your dog for 5 years of love by giving her away. Her fur will NOT hurt your baby. Don't you realize that MANY parents with babies have dogs? The opportunity to grow up with an animal is one of the best things you can do for your child.

Despite how I fell about your post, I don't think you should remove it. I am confident that your dog will do much better in a home where her owners will appreciate her more than you apparently do.

caseysmom
08-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Being exposed to dog fur would help insure her child would not have allergies not to mention a dog would help her child learn to love and nurture. I think every child needs animals in their lives to learn to respect all living things, teens that hurt animals grow up and hurt other people.

I had a 100 lb shepherd when I had my first child and my dog was very protective of my daughter.

dappledoxie
08-18-2004, 02:04 PM
That is just awful!

She kind of reminds me of my mom, my mom has breast cancer yes, but she's done with treatments and she still acts like my dogs will make her sick. (I just moved back in with her as most know and basically the reason I moved out was her not letting me have dogs inside the hosue where they belong ) She hardly even looks at them let alone pet them. :( I tell her all the time that there are probably hundreds and thousands of people with cancer/illness who have dogs and cats in the house with no problem. Like I've said before I wish my mom was a full fledged animal lover. :(

Sorry not trying to go off topic. lol

K9soul
08-18-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
Being exposed to dog fur would help insure her child would not have allergies

This is true. Studies have proven that kids who grow up with pets have less problems with allergies than kids who grew up without pets. They build up immunity.

This is very sad, but at least the lady is trying to rehome the dog, rather than sticking the dog outside to live on the end of a chain. Poor pup.

LorraineO
08-18-2004, 03:54 PM
I emailed her too,,, she got me boiling.....

I wrote this...

cannot believe you,,,, giving away your first baby for your second,,, thats disgusting,,,, Your first baby deserves a better home then you thats for sure....
One word for you,,,

SELFISH!!!!
oh,, make that two..

SELFISH ,, UNCARING LAZY!!!!

ok,,, so make it three words.....
Have a wonderful day lady,,, how you sleep at night is beyond me!

LorraineO
08-18-2004, 03:55 PM
Her post is gone,,,,I just went to the link...

Hope that means she got a new home for that wonderful but unfortunate dog!!

Smilla
08-18-2004, 06:03 PM
K9Soul, that crossed my mind too. But it was something about the way she spoke of the dog, like it was just something "in the way" that needed to be disposed of, that really got my blood boiling.

Lefty was given away (the last time) by a couple who was expecting a baby, because he had shown aggression. I think their fears were exaggerated, but at the same time I suppose I can't blame them for not wanting to take chances. THIS woman, though, didn't want DOG FUR to get on her baby.

When I saw that her post was gone, though, I found myself hoping that it was taken down because her dog found a home, and not because she got so much hate mail. I momentarily regretted writing her, but I truly meant what I said. I imagine she got a ton of mail anyway--there were a LOT of people upset about it. There was another person on the Craig's List bulletin board who was upset by her post, but who posted another message urging people to take the dog. That makes me think there's a good chance the dog was "taken off her hands." I sure hope so.

Smilla
08-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Reading what I emailed to her again, and seeing the typos and grammatical errors, I realize I really MUST have been upset! :)

kingrattus
08-18-2004, 08:40 PM
A girl I know was babysitting a mother rotti & her 11 pups!! The girl has 3 children under 3yrs of age & all r just fine. They were gonna keep one of the pups, but they were too hyper for their oldest & the owners said they can keep the mother, not have, but keep. & in a couple years she'll be breed again by the owners male & they'll have more puppies in the house with their kids.

Besides hair on the bed makes for extra soft & warm beds :)