PDA

View Full Version : Tolkien Cats

luvdemabys
12-21-2001, 03:59 PM
If you've already read this under today's cat, I apologize. This is a duplication. Ahem...now that the greatest Work in the English language is now a popular film, I look forward to greater enlightenment about the names of the cats who own us. More people will realize that Pip (Pippin) is Peregrin Took, Thane of the Shire; Wynki is Eowyn, warrior princess of Rohan; and L'il Guy is Legolas, elven representative in the Fellowship of the Ring. They may think about the dearly departed "Aha! no wonder they named their first Aby Arwen;" "So Glorf was for the mighty elven warrior, Glorfindel;" "Of course, that magnificent blue, Gandy, was Gandalf the Grey." Of course, one must read the books, including the appendices, to recognize Thing as Thingol Greycloak or Luthi as Luthien. But what a richness! GIMLI! I almost forgot Gimli, our supersweet gray polydactyl, namesake of the Fellowship's dwarf representative. Nor are we the only ones...a while back there was a very fine Cat of the Day named Bombadil (an Aby of course) See the flick, read the books, cuddle your cats. Holiday Blessings from Luvdemabys

[ December 22, 2001: Message edited by: luvdemabys ]

Cougie Wechsler
12-21-2001, 06:00 PM
Thanks for sharing! I love to read the origins of cat's names! Merry Christmas!

BigCharles
12-24-2001, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Cougie Wechsler:
<STRONG>Thanks for sharing! I love to read the origins of cat's names! Merry Christmas!</STRONG>

I tell people that we did NOT name Lamoni for the small town in Iowa, but rather for the great king in the scripture from whom that town got its name.

{Actually he reminded Cindy of a cat she had one summer as a girl in that very town. I'm just greatful that they did not have a cat when they lived in Boston.}