PDA

View Full Version : We got Jake's ashes back. A little humor helps the pain.

stacwase
07-30-2004, 12:23 PM
We got Jake's ashes back yesterday. He's in a little box-shaped tin, with a lid. It was sad.

My husband kind of lightened things up a little. He had tears in his eyes, too, but then he started calling him "Jake-in-a-box". You know - like Jack in a box? It was so funny. He's like "yeah - lets put dog-in-a-box on the mantle now."

Then Max was trying to get loose and run around the neighborhood, and Bob said "You better quit that, Max. You don't want to be dog-in-a-box too." LOL

Karen
07-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Awww! Jake-in-a-box it is! Bark!
Humor always helps, huh?

jenluckenbach
07-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Jack in the box :) that is cute. It helps to have happy and sad tears at the same time.

robinh
07-30-2004, 02:46 PM
I still miss my Peach and she's been gone over a year, but I find a lot of comfort knowing she is home with us again. I bought a beautiful urn for her ashes and when Max's time comes, he'll go in there with her.

I know Jake's passing still hurts a lot, but time does help to heal the heart from so great a loss of a friend.

jazzcat
07-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Laughter is the best medicine, even for a broken heart.

Sudilar
07-30-2004, 04:18 PM
Ya gotta laugh....it stops the pain for a few seconds. Hugs.

Tonya
07-30-2004, 04:55 PM
I am glad that you all are able to find humor. I am sure Jake-in-the-box would want you to laugh. ((((Hugs))))

LorraineO
07-30-2004, 07:15 PM
Heheheh,, thats funny,,, and sad,,, but you know,, I think our pets ,, much like us want ppl to remember us with laughter,, not tears....

Pam
07-30-2004, 07:58 PM
That sort of reminds me of a silly little thing that my brother-in-law said so I will share it. His parents had both wished to be cremated with their ashes sprinkled over Diamond Head in Hawaii, and so when his dad died his mom had his ashes. Then when his mom died my brother-in-law became caretaker of both boxes of ashes. They arrived via FedEx or UPS one day at his house. My sister-in-law called home from work one day (my brother-in-law is disabled and doesn't work) and asked what he was doing. Since the ashes were on the kitchen table at it was noon, he said "having lunch with the folks." (((Hugs))) to you. I am glad you can laugh a little.

stacwase
07-31-2004, 08:35 AM
"Having lunch with the folks!" LOL!

He could have said "Mom came in the mail today!" hehehe

Bob says Jake has really gotten "stay" down pat now.

KYS
07-31-2004, 09:17 AM
I agree, a sence of humor can turn the tears of sadness around.

I also like the Jack in the Box. YOu put a smile on my
face.

trayi52
07-31-2004, 09:37 AM
Jake in the box, that put a smile on my face and tears in my eyes. I don't know why, but it did.

I know I didn't get to say how sorry I was over your loss, but I do want you to know you were in my thoughts and in my prayers.

Yes, humor does help!

Willie:)

anna_66
07-31-2004, 01:05 PM
Laughter is the best medicine:)