PDA

View Full Version : Problem

Catboy123
06-29-2004, 11:11 AM
as you know i have two cats oreo and cocoa. And Cocoa lately has been shedding like crazy and leaving hair all over the place so i start to go crazy. Anyway is there anything beter than those little brushes that ccan stop the hair from flying off wherever she goes.

sirrahbed
06-29-2004, 11:20 AM
The hot weather has started lots of shedding! I have better luck with a shedding blade. You can get them at PetsMart and sometimes at WalMart, etc. It is a metal blade shaped like a hoop. On one side it has serrations like a steak knife. You just gently stroke the kittie's coat with the serrated side and it is amazing how much fur you can get out! Like enough to make another cat!! I find it works MUCH better than a regular brush. You might try that. If you do - I would suggest doing it over some newspapers, on a washable sheet or even in a box because fur gets everywhere! Then, go take a shower yourself!:D

catlover4ever
06-29-2004, 11:23 AM
I use a shedding blade on Mystic because she sheds so much.

Here is a picture of what Debbie described and what we use....the ergonomatic shedding tool.
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20030530134212/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/products/large/p_2827.jpg

sirrahbed
06-29-2004, 11:25 AM
Thanks Meg! I was having trouble describing that thing! An "ergonomic shedding tool" eh?:D It actually looks like some sort of torture device:eek: I have had no luck with the regular comb looking thingys. The hoop doesn't seem like it would DO much is just fantastic don't you think?

jazzcat
06-29-2004, 11:39 AM
I got Ripley a shedding blade a few months ago and WOW does that thing work. You are right Debbie, use something like a towel or sheet because hair goes everywhere. I always brush Ripley with it right before I head to the shower because I usually look like Cousin It when I'm done.

PayItForward
06-29-2004, 12:12 PM
We use all these on Bramble longhaired baby girl. :)
http://www.piftails.com/images/Brush1.jpg

The bottom brush is good for sensitive areas, very soft. The top brush is Milly favorite brush. If I pick up this brush Milly comes running over to me purring !!!
http://www.piftails.com/images/Brush2.jpg

The magic shedding blade... George loves this brush and it cleans the base of his back/tail where the loose hairs tend to gather ;)
http://www.piftails.com/images/Brush3.jpg

DJFyrewolf36
06-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Hey, do those shedding blades work well for short hair cats or is it just for long hairs? Remus is ALREADY in his shedding phase *that cat keeps advancing more than I can keep up :rolleyes: *

sirrahbed
06-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
Hey, do those shedding blades work well for short hair cats or is it just for long hairs? Remus is ALREADY in his shedding phase *that cat keeps advancing more than I can keep up :rolleyes: *

Works like a charm on the shorts hairs too:D I use it on all three. It looks treacherous but is very gentle. I still use a regular brush on areas like underarms, legs, etc.

DJFyrewolf36
06-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Thanx!!!

Now once I get one, I'll just have to catch Remus...No big deal:rolleyes:

catlover4ever
06-29-2004, 02:16 PM
I use another shedding tool but I can not find a picture of it on the internet.....it is oval and fits in the palm of you hand...it kind of looks like you would use it on a horse but I use it on Mystic and she LOVES it. It has 2 shedding blades on each side and when you brush Mystic the fur comes out like you would not beleive:o :o You would think with all the hair that comes off of her she should be bald....she's not!!!

By the way she is short haired.

Laura's Babies
06-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Darn!!!! I wish I had saw this, this morning!!! I was just AT Pet Smart and I looked at that shedding tool and wondered if it worked... I need something with now, 4 in the house!

Catboy123
06-29-2004, 10:12 PM
thanks 4 the advice

catmandu
06-30-2004, 09:15 AM
The Shedding Blade,is a Godsend and it evens works, on Shaggy Cats,like Moose The Magnificent!!!