PDA

View Full Version : it's official

davidpizzica
06-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Got the word from the dieician-nurse. I get my testing supplies either friday or saturday. It's gonna be rough,but I have you PTers to help me.

slick
06-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Good luck David. I think you get to practice on oranges first???:confused:

davidpizzica
06-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by slick
Good luck David. I think you get to practice on oranges first???:confused: Good idea, Slick! Or else I might have to sign in as STUBBY!!!

Corinna
06-23-2004, 09:19 PM
I take it your on insulin. Sorry to hear that there are so many oral meds . Did they say the pancreas was not functioning at all. Thats when most Docs put you on injections , If you have any production there are meds . I would ask and maybe get a 2nd opinion.
But for some people its just easier to take the shots. I get so angry at work 3 of us are diabetic the other 2 on shots and can indulge in all the treats and I have to keep saying no. Some at work can't understand that I can't eat it cuz I can't just go shot up.
Good luck!!!!

lynnestankard
06-24-2004, 06:23 AM
You sound pretty fine about it David - I'm glad. Lets face it - it's now a way of life.

As Slick said - go get the oranges in - practice makes perfect.
I remember doing that when we had to keep emergency supplies of adrenilin for Elizabeth when she was little - yee gods was I good at sticking in those needles :D

Lynne

Pam
06-24-2004, 06:38 AM
I have a new found respect for what diabetics must go through each day that those of us without this horrible disease never even give a thought to. My daughter had gestational diabetes and fortunately for her as soon as the baby was born it disappeared as quickly as it came. She was able to control it with diet but her endocrinologist insisted she test 6 times a day. I went to the diabetic training session that she had and my head was spinning. So much to learn! I watched her faithfully test her blood and plan her meals.

David I am sorry you have to go through this but we all wish you well and hope that you are able to get into some sort of a routine quickly. I'll bet you will start feeling much better once you are stabilized.

aly
06-24-2004, 11:12 AM
HEhe, practicing on oranges sounds fun. I did my first shot in the endocronologist's office with the nurse practitioner watching. I didn't want to do it at all, but I didn't want to make a scene either. So I sort of just did it and it was WAY easier than I ever thought. Giving myself shots is probably the easiest part about being diabetic!! (And just think, I used to almost faint if I even saw a needle - I just forced myself to get over the fear and I'm fine now!)

davidpizzica
06-26-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Corinna
I take it your on insulin. Sorry to hear that there are so many oral meds . Did they say the pancreas was not functioning at all. Thats when most Docs put you on injections , If you have any production there are meds . I would ask and maybe get a 2nd opinion.
But for some people its just easier to take the shots. I get so angry at work 3 of us are diabetic the other 2 on shots and can indulge in all the treats and I have to keep saying no. Some at work can't understand that I can't eat it cuz I can't just go shot up.
Good luck!!!! Well Corinna. I'm lucky because right now we are controling it with diet alone. No insulin (yet) Last night, I did my first testing, which was interesting. but I'll get used to it.

davidpizzica
06-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
You sound pretty fine about it David - I'm glad. Lets face it - it's now a way of life.

As Slick said - go get the oranges in - practice makes perfect.
I remember doing that when we had to keep emergency supplies of adrenilin for Elizabeth when she was little - yee gods was I good at sticking in those needles :D

Lynne As I told Slick, I better use oranges, or else change my name to stubby lol lol. Boy, what an abrupt lifestyle change!!

lynnestankard
06-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Wow - thats good news David - if you manage to control it with diet alone that must be better. Is it a very rigorous diet? Hope it's palatable - you'll have to keep coming to eat at the Thursday nighters - just think, whatever you want and NO weight gain OR calories!!

Good Luck.

Lynne

moosmom
06-26-2004, 02:17 PM
David,

Sometimes diet alone will control diabetes. I'm glad you went to the doctor and found out what the problem was. Now for your knees.

davidpizzica
06-26-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
Wow - thats good news David - if you manage to control it with diet alone that must be better. Is it a very rigorous diet? Hope it's palatable - you'll have to keep coming to eat at the Thursday nighters - just think, whatever you want and NO weight gain OR calories!!

Good Luck.

Lynne Yes, it is kinda strict. Small portions of everything. No white bread, potatoes, No sugars at all. Wheat bread is allowed, but only a couple of slices per day. I can grill small hamburgers for myself. YUCK!!! Diet drinks are allowed. THANK GOD FOR CYBER FOOD!!! :rolleyes:

davidpizzica
06-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
David,

Sometimes diet alone will control diabetes. I'm glad you went to the doctor and found out what the problem was. Now for your knees. One problem, honey, with this new diet, I'm eating like a bird! Maybe with this diet, it might take pressure off my knee. BTW, how is your back doing? I hope it is coming along fine. I hope we both hold together until we can meet! ((((HUGS)))) love you!