PDA

View Full Version : Dropping in after a long break... :)

Kirsten
06-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Hi everyone, remember me? LOL ;)

This is my very first post after a long sick leave and after my surgery! (It's so good to be online again... *sigh*)

And I have to say... I am simply overwhelmed by all the cards, gifts and well-wishes I got from this place!!! Every day, new cards arrive here (looks like the mail man has a lot of extra work with me now), and I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart - you have no idea how much this means to me and how this is brightering my days! You're the best!!! ((((HUGS)))))

Uniqueviking has already given you updates as long as I was in hospital, so you probably know already how unhappy and bored I was while I was there. Having surgery was scary, but it all went well; the surgery itself took about an hour. I was told they had to remove a lot! The next day, I was already allowed to sit and to walk around, and I was happy to realize that the terrible pain I had for so many weeks has disappeared.

The hardest thing while I was in hospital was that I missed my girls - and my privacy! I'm not used to having people around all the time, even during the night, so this was really hard for me, plus I hated the thought to go into a rehab facility for three or four more weeks - everybody has told me I had to, and it really depressed me. It's such a terrible long time to be away from home and my girls! :(

So when the doctor asked me why I wouldn't go home and have just physiotherapy, I couldn't believe my ears. When she told me this should be possible, I really cried because I was so relieved. The pain of being seperated from Luna and Lily was almost physical.

Bad thing was that since Friday last week the nerve in my leg (the one that had gone numb that day I had emergency surgery) was acting up again, and I got worried that some more of the disc has slipped out (I was told that about 20% need a second surgery). Doctors told me this could still be a normal reaction but should disappear after a while. Besides, it can take many months for a damaged nerve to recover, so there's still some numbness in my left foot and leg, and I cannot lift my toes - was told to be patient about that. Doctors also told me that my back pain will never disappear, because it hasn't been caused by the herniated disc alone, but also by my messed-up joints... Well, fact is, I still have some back pain now, but not as bad as before the surgery.

However, even though I mentioned the new problems with the nerve in my leg, I was released on Monday. My mother's fiancé picked me up and drove me home, and I was thrilled to see my girls - but what a bad surprise, the entire floor was covered with liquid poop... and I soon found out it was Luna who had a read bad diarrhea! :( Gabi, my neighbor who looked after the girls while I was away, had already given her some meds in the morning, so the diarrhea got better during the day. She got me some more diet food from the vet, and now Luna is back to normal - but is still on diet food. Besides, the poor girl must have miss me so much!!! She doesn't allow anyone but me to touch her, so she was shedding a lot of fur when I first petted her. Now it's much better, but she's coming into my lap several times a day and purrs, it's so cute! :)

I still need a lot of help here with almost everything. I'm not allowed to clean, I'm not allowed to lift things, and I'm not allowed to drive. So I totally depend on others for the next couple of weeks. I hope I'm not getting on anybody's nerves with that.

The nerve in my leg is still making problems. I saw my physio therapist today and she thinks it's still a normal reaction. She was working on it with ultrasound today and I felt a bit better after that, but now I'm in pain again. I also have some back pain while I'm siting here, even though I got a new office chair and a new mattress. I hope all this is still normal. After all, it's only one a half week ago that I had surgery. But I think I better stop now to have some rest... This is too long anyway! :)

Kirsten

Cinder & Smoke
06-17-2004, 02:16 PM
:)
Welcome HOME!! ;) :) :D

Take it all ONE Day at a time...
Things WILL get Better!

And your Friends are there to HELP as Needed -
USE 'em! ;)

/s/ Phred

CatMama78
06-17-2004, 02:17 PM
Kirsten.

I'm so happy to hear you are home and your surgery went pretty well. I know how much you must have missed your girls and they must have missed you. I am sorry to hear about your leg, but it sounds like that it's more than likely a part of recovering. I'm also sure Luna will be a-ok now that Mommy is home. Your love for each other will help both of you heal. Continue to rest and take care of yourself. I am very relieved to hear the pain is lessened. Here's to many happy days a head. Welcome back!

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-17-2004, 02:19 PM
YAY - I am so glad you are back online, and feeling a bit better!! Hope Luna recovers soon!!

(((HUGS)))

Julie

neko1
06-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Welcome Home!!!

Glad to see you posting again!

I'm sure the kitties are so happy you are home:)

lynnestankard
06-17-2004, 02:20 PM
WELCOME HOME AND WELCOME BACK KIRSTEN. :D

Lovely to have you back - my goodness it sounds like you really went through it - and then some.
Doing the physio., will probabley help but I suppose they've warned you not to overdo it. Be careful - we don't want any relapses. :)

After major surgery you often get patches of numbness (I've still got some from my GB op last year!) where nerves have been affected.

Plenty of rest with dear Luna (so pleased she's better) and Lily - they'll have plenty of cuddling to catch up on.

Once again Kirsten - Welcome back to the fold. :)

Lynne

kimlovescats
06-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Welcome Home, Kirsten! Hey, you have had MAJOR surgery ... it will take some time for everything to heal 100% .... try to just take it easy and be a "good girl" now you hear?;) :D

Kona & Oreo's mom
06-17-2004, 02:31 PM
Welcome back, Kirsten! We've missed you!

trayi52
06-17-2004, 02:38 PM
It is so good to hear from you! I am so happy to hear you are home, and on your way to mending. Please take it easy, and like Phred said, take one day at a time.

I hope Luna gets to feeling better too, the two of you can help each other mend and get well. I know both Lily and Luna were so very happy to see you.

Take care, and do as the doctors tell you.

Willie:)

catlover4ever
06-17-2004, 02:46 PM
Welcome Back We Missed You!!!!!!

I'm glad to hear that you are home and that Luna is doing a little better.

Felicia's Mom
06-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Welcome home! It will be good to have you posting again!:D

catcrazylady
06-17-2004, 02:51 PM
!! WELCOME HOME !!

I'M SO GLAD YOUR BACK!!! We sure have missed you and Luna and Lily. I hope Luna feels better soon. She and Lily must have missed you as much as you've missed them!

Get well soon Kirsten and come back and tell us how you're doing as soon as you feel better.:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

RedHedd
06-17-2004, 03:20 PM
WELCOME HOME KIRSTEN! you have been missed. Be gentle with yourself and let everyone help you - you deserve the extra pampering right now. It will all heal in God's time.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Yeah! I'm sooo glad you're back home and doing better! Just keep doing what the docs tell you and I'm sure you'll be back to normal in no time.

Sorry to hear about Luna's distress, but it sounds like she is extremely thrilled to have you home again. And how is Lily taking it all?

gini
06-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Kirsten welcome home - to your real home and your babies and to your Pet Talk home as well.

Phred said it best - just take one day at a time.

I am glad to hear that Luna is back to normal so quickly as well.
My those babies must have missed you terribly.

Craftlady
06-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Welcome Back :) Glad everything went well with surgery. Take it easy, do as dr's say :)

davidpizzica
06-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Kirsten, I see you got tired of hospital food! It is SO great that you are home and with Lily and Luna. I echo everyone else in saying take it one day at a time! Being with those two is great therapy for you and them. Nikki and Daisy send their love.

lizzielou742
06-17-2004, 09:49 PM
Welcome back! Hope things get back to normal for you soon!! :D

theklauz
06-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Well I never knew you but Osker and I say Welcome Back anyway (u seem to be nice)

sirrahbed
06-17-2004, 10:41 PM
http://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/nature-smiley-014.gifWELCOME HOME KIRSTEN!!! http://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/nature-smiley-014.gif

It is so good to have you back online and just knowing you are home!! Thank you for coming on even though you are so fresh from the hospital to say hello! We have missed you so much and just very happy that the surgery is behind you and that you are home with the girls!!! It is good to hear that Luna seems to be feeling better - I know she must have missed you but now everyone is together again! Oh yes, I know that missing the kids can feel like physical pain, too.
I am thrilled that the cards, gifts and well-wishes cheered you:D That mailman must be wondering if you are a celebrity and why all this international mail?:eek:
I know you will worry about the nerve pain but nerves are so slow to return to normal. My Missy had wisdom teeth out many weeks ago - had some nerves damage and numbness and STILL has slight tingling even though the feeling has returned - it just takes time! I am glad to hear that the most severe pain was relieved by the surgery. I would not think anyone less than two weeks after back surgery would be *all better*:D You even told me on the phone you are bad about trying to do to much so I wish I was there to keep my eye on you!;) I would be a mean nurse and make you behave yourself:)
Enough from me - I am just so glad you are back.:D :D

Karen
06-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Welcome home - where no one will wake you up just to see if you are sleeping okay, where you CAN shut all the lights off if you want, and where anything that goes bump in the night is assuredly feline in nature. (Never have enjoyed hospitalization myself. Refer to it as incarceration.)

Welcome home, where two kitty-girls are sooooo glad to have you home.

Welcome home to Pet Talk, where we missed you, and are so glad to have you back and on the mend.

Welcome home.

rosethecopycat
06-17-2004, 10:51 PM
Welcome home.

Home is where your best therapy is. Two sweet girlies, who missed you.

:)

AmberLee
06-18-2004, 12:31 AM
Welcome home, Dear. Hope you are feeling better soon.

catmandu
06-18-2004, 08:54 AM
The Found Cats are Happy that You Lily and Luna are Reunited as we know Hoe MUCH , we missed our Dad , when he was in the Hospital! Found Cats LOVE ALL THREE , Of Our Friends!

Cataholic
06-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Welcome home, Kirsten! It has been a big ordeal, and the recovery is bound to take time, with ups and downs. Hang in there. I know that people won't mind 'taking care of you'. It is necessary, and people like to help. So, let them! I bet Luna and Lily are already helping with your rehab.
Johanna

Randi
06-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Kirsten, it's great to "see" you back home and on PT! :) Now, take it easy and make sure to follow your doctors orders!! ;) We want you to heal properly! Get pampered! :D

Kisses to Luna amd Lily and hugs to you!

Kirsten
06-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Thanks everyone, it's so good to be back! :) I see I've missed a lot, there are many new kitties and new mommies and daddies around here! :)

I still cannot post as much as I want to, because the nerve in my leg is still hurting a lot. I know, I have to be patient as the surgery is less than 2 weeks ago, but it has been so much better during the first week, and now it has gotten so bad! I'm worried that I might need second surgery (as required in 20%) but my physiotherapist told me today that I have to keep in mind that the nerve has been under terrible pressure for a long time and now "awakes"... Can take a couple of months. She said the hernia I had was really a bad one and she hasn't seen something like that in years. According to her, it's more or less a miracle that I can still walk.

But it's such a good thing to be with my girls again! Especially Luna seems to be happy. I'm not so sure about Lily. LOL To her, Luna is the most important person. But she was talking a lot when I came back home, she was probably telling me all her little kitty stories about the things going on here while I was away. :)

Kirsten

aki
06-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Welcome home! We all missed you around here!

How is Luna doing?

Kirsten
06-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Luna is doing better, thanks for asking. :) But she's still on her diet food, so it could be the diarrhea comes back when she's switching back to normal food. Bad thing is that I'm totally depending on others at the moment when it comes to vet visits. I'm not allowed to drive for the next couple of weeks.

Kirsten

ramanth
06-18-2004, 02:15 PM
WELCOME BACK KIRSTEN!! :)

Corinna
06-18-2004, 03:59 PM
We are so glad to hear you and the kitties are all doing so much better . Glad to see you posting and home .
Merlin and Mom

K & L
06-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Welcome Back Kirsten!

thelmalu99
06-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Hi Kirsten,
While we don't know each other, I just wanted to say that I'm glad your surgery went well and I wish you a speedy recovery. I'm sure your babies missed you just as much as you missed them, and I'm glad you're back home with them. :)

Hope Luna's feeling better too! :)

Love,
Thelma, Elvis, JD, Yertle and TimTam