PDA

View Full Version : Willie, check this out (baby bird in hands)

Logan
06-14-2004, 09:47 PM
Now this is Baby #1 (the oldest and largest), but Andrew is holding him in his 9 year old hands. I think you were the one who asked for a picture in the hand to judge size:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d835b3127cceb01f69e456600000001610

Look at his little yellow feathers popping out on his head! :D Like father, like son (I'd like to think he is a boy, anyway)!!!!

One more of the "nest", taken tonight while Milly and Baby #1 were out:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d835b3127cceb01f6e11160e0000001610

Pam
06-14-2004, 10:03 PM
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME PICTURES LOGAN!!!!! You got your digital camera just in time!!!!!

Aspen and Misty
06-14-2004, 10:19 PM
ADORABLE!!!!!!!

MORE MORE MORE!!!

They are soo cute!!!!

Ash

trayi52
06-14-2004, 11:01 PM
OMG, Logan, that is the cutest little thing! I showed it to my husband and he said tell her to put one in an envelope and send it to him! He don't especially like cats and dogs but birds he loves!

That little guy isn't real small is he/she? I think that is just the cutest little baby bird!

Thank you, Logan, I loved the picture, it is so precious!

Willie:D

Kfamr
06-14-2004, 11:24 PM
LOL.. It looks like he has a mohawk. :p

NoahsMommy
06-15-2004, 01:51 AM
Awwwww!!! So cute!!!

popcornbird
06-15-2004, 03:04 AM
OMG Logan! How precious!!! :D He's starting to grow feathers now! Can they stand/walk yet? What a precious baby. I can't wait till they start showing their colors. So so sweet. :D

Heather Wallace
06-15-2004, 04:32 AM
To cute!

Logan
06-15-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by trayi52
OMG, Logan, that is the cutest little thing! I showed it to my husband and he said tell her to put one in an envelope and send it to him! He don't especially like cats and dogs but birds he loves!

That little guy isn't real small is he/she? I think that is just the cutest little baby bird!

Thank you, Logan, I loved the picture, it is so precious!

Willie:D
Tell your husband that I will gladly drive to Tennessee with one or two for him! What fun you could have, Willie!!! :D

Popcornbird, they are not standing on their own yet, but I think it will be soon. Looks like they are going on their first beach trip this weekend because my petsitter is too nervous of caring for them. Can't say I blame her, either. I'm glad we won't have to miss seeing them change a lot.

Logan

My Peanuts
06-15-2004, 12:01 PM
They are soooooo cute! They are changing like crazy. I just bought a baby :D but he can't come home for another few weeks. Before you know it your babies will look like my new baby :)

aly
06-15-2004, 12:53 PM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Logan
06-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by aly
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Does that mean that he/she is yours?????? :p

Aspen and Misty
06-15-2004, 02:17 PM
Logan, I have to admit it! I'm coming to SC on Thursday for 2 weeks and I am STEALING THEM!! Don't worry, I'll take mom to :p Me want baby!!!! :D

They are sooo cute!!

Ash

aly
06-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Does that mean that he/she is yours?????? :p

;) :D I'm really still interested! Been doing my reading!

About what age are they ready to leave mom?

That first picture of the big guy is just SOOOO adorable! He reminds me of an ostrich for some reason. hehe!

Logan
06-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Aly, I'm thinking two-three months, max. I see a summer trip in my future, and will gladly do it!!! :)

popcornbird
06-15-2004, 02:56 PM
It would be SO cool if Aly gets one of your babies! I know she has been wanting a tiel for ages, and she would make the *perfect* mom to them.......AND, we would always get updates on them too! :D Our tiels were 3 months old when we got them, so I believe 2-3 months is the right age..........maybe 3 months would be better.

molucass
06-15-2004, 05:28 PM
They are sooo cute!

I've always wanted another 'tiel. :) We used to have a pair of them a long time ago when I was younger, and my aunt has one too...

I'm probably moving to SC at the end of July, or some time in August! :D But I don't know if my grandpa would be too happy with a bird in his house....

Logan
06-15-2004, 07:44 PM
No pictures, sorry!!! :o But, one of the babies was hopping around on the bottom of the cage!!!! :eek: He thought he was big stuff too!!!! :D

popcornbird
06-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Logan
No pictures, sorry!!! :o But, one of the babies was hopping around on the bottom of the cage!!!! :eek: He thought he was big stuff too!!!! :D

Hopping?? :eek: As in, hopping like grown up tiels do? Awww!!! Was this tiel #1? Have the others opened their eyes yet? He he...sounds like Little Tiel already thinks he's grown up. :p

aly
06-15-2004, 09:37 PM
Pops, If I end up with one or two of the birds, be prepared for lots of questions :o I'm trying to do as much research as possible. I'd love to have 2 that would keep each other company.

WHOA, I just remembered last night I was dreaming about huge bird cages. gee, is that a sign? ;)

Logan
06-16-2004, 03:09 AM
Sounds like a sign to me, Aly! :) I don't know if Helen's friend will take one or not, yet. But I do have a lady in Sevierville, TN that wants one (at least she says she does). I will be so happy if these babies all go to people I know. I would think in about a week's time we'll start seeing what their colors are going to be. Everyone's eyes are open now and their legs are obviously getting stronger. I'll get more pictures of them later today. They are making a ton of noises, not chirping, more "hissing", griding sounds. They want Mama to feed them and she will not do it during the night! :D

aly
06-16-2004, 03:18 AM
Do you think it'd be better to start out with just one birdie since I've never had one before? Will he/she be alright without a friend? I'd definately spend lots of time with him/her! I just didn't want him to be lonely when I wasn't home or something.

Do the other people who may be taking a baby have a favorite picked out yet?

Logan
06-16-2004, 06:26 AM
No one has even seen them, Aly. So picking a favorite isn't an issue right now, and when we just had Roger, he did fine. In fact, he was much more affectionate to us when it was just him and he learned a lot more words and songs. He is still sweet to us, but he can't stand to be away from Milly, nor she away from him. They really do bond. So maybe if you start with one (don't know whether I have males or females at this point), you bond with him/her first, then maybe add another one later if you like.

They are so much fun. :) And they are good sleepers at night and won't keep you awake.

Rachel
06-16-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
LOL.. It looks like he has a mohawk. :p

That's what I thought too. Amazing how fast they are growing. Thanks to Andrew for being the *hand model*. Actually I can sympathize with your Pet sitter. I would be far too nervous to have to care for such delicate ones.

momoffuzzyfaces
06-16-2004, 11:52 AM
How sweet! He looks like he is just gazing around, taking the big new world in!
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY ROGER!:D

aly
06-16-2004, 12:26 PM
I've been having more bird dreams!!

Now that you say that about the single bird Logan, I think it might be smarter for me to start with one and add one later.

The fourth egg never hatched anyway right? Or did I miss the exciting news?

Logan
06-16-2004, 12:31 PM
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d837b3127cceb03e39d9c6690000001610

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d837b3127cceb03e3b3747b60000001610

Mom and Dad, getting back to normal:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d837b3127cceb03e39f5c6450000001610

The 4th egg was pushed out, Aly, so we have 3 babies!!! :D I will be cleaning out that poopie nest, again, today!!!! :)

popcornbird
06-16-2004, 12:41 PM
AWWW!!! They all have their eyes open now!! :D

Aly, I got both my birds at the same time and they're both VERY much bonded with me and the whole family. I honestly believe it depends on how much time you spend with them. When I first got them, everyone was telling me I should have gotten just one because he would bond with me faster. Both Popcorn and Muffin ended up proving them wrong. :p They're both sweeties, and both very close to us. They're also bonded with each other, but we can play with them seperately in different rooms, and they won't call out for each other. The only time they call each other is during mating season. :rolleyes: Heh..

My Peanuts
06-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Aly, I got Alex when she was a baby and I didn't get another tiel for years. Alex never bonds very much with other tiels, but she will follow me into fire. I got Pretty Boy a few years later from my boyfriend's grandpa. Pretty Boy was already an old lady and she and Alex didn't like each other. Finally, they got along enough to live together. Then nearly two years ago my boyfriend found Danny walking around in a yard. Danny loves Alex, but once again Alex doesn't care much for Danny. Alex has always bonded well with humans, especially me and my dad, but not with birds. I think it's because she was hand raised and lived alone at the beginning. Every bird has a different personality. You never know who they will bond with. Just my two cents! :p I think I'm just as excited as you and Logan that you might take one or two of the babies. It will be fun to see pics of him/her from birth to adulthood.

aly
06-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the advice! I am torn on what to do about getting 1 or 2 now. I'd make lots of time every day to spend with the bird, so I don't think I'd mind if he/she formed a special bond to humans moreso than birds. Well I'd actually really like that. If I ever got another bird down the road, I'd be sure to have a seperate cage and everything to introduce them slowly.

I had to go by the petstore today to get some more dog food. I always look at the birds, but this time I lingered longer than usual and talked a bit to the "bird guy". I looked at the cages and supplies too, but only saw a couple cages I liked. Most of them were too small or weird. I made sure to check that there were at least 2 sides with horizontal bars so they can climb too!

Cookiebaker
06-16-2004, 07:47 PM
OH!! More pictures!!! :D :D :D I printed the first one out and put it on my refrigerator! :cool:

That would be *soooo* awesome if Aly got one of the baby birdies! I have goosebumps just thinking about it. I hope everything works out!!!! :D

Logan
06-17-2004, 10:42 AM
I don't have a picture to go along with this update, but I have to tell you that the little babies decided to flap their wings today!!!!! :D This whole thing is so amazing to me. Baby #1 will be two weeks old tomorrow, the others turning 2 weeks old on Sunday. :)

heinz57_79
06-17-2004, 12:42 PM
LoL I'm totally diggin' the yellow mohawk! Adorable! :)

aly
06-17-2004, 03:44 PM
I bought Cockatiels for Dummies today! :o :D

anna_66
06-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Please don't think I'm being mean, but I just think they look so funny when their feathers start to come in:D
They are too sweet!

Logan
06-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Anna, I don't think you have a mean bone in your body!!!! They are ugly, at first, I think we have all admitted that, but their little personalities are shining through, and they are changing daily! When I get back from vacation, I think you will all be in awe of the changes they will experience!!!! :)

Thanks, everyone. You go, Aly!!!!! :D How in the world we will arrange this, is unknown, but we will!!!!! :D

aly
06-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Logan,

I am getting really excited :) I really really have wanted a cockatiel for so long! But if you do find a closer home, I will totally understand that would be the easier way to go. I know I told you that before, but I just wanted to make sure you remember :)

If I do end up taking a baby, I am pretty sure I can arrange to get there. Can birds easily go on planes? Cause I was thinking of visiting my sister in DC and maybe driving to SC then flying back home. But I didn't know if it'd be too stressful for the bird or if they are harder to get on planes than dogs and cats or what.

popcornbird
06-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by aly

If I do end up taking a baby, I am pretty sure I can arrange to get there. Can birds easily go on planes? Cause I was thinking of visiting my sister in DC and maybe driving to SC then flying back home. But I didn't know if it'd be too stressful for the bird or if they are harder to get on planes than dogs and cats or what.

I know some airlines do allow birds to fly with their owners in the cabin, but you'll have to call and find out which ones do in advance. I know they can travel just fine in airplanes though.

Anna, even us bird lovers admit that baby birds are ugly when they're born. They go from ugly, to funny looking, to hilarious, to *getting cute*, to absolutely adorable, and then to their gorgeous fully feathered *grown up* selves. :p The thing about birds is they don't have that *cute baby stage*. They have an ugly baby stage and then stay cute forever, once they grow up. :p