View Full Version : Allergic to rats?

06-10-2004, 01:41 AM
Lately after I've been handling the rats I get little bumps all over me and I get a little red. It usually itches for a while afterwards. After a few minutes I'm fine and the bumps go away. Am I allergic to them? Or do the rats have mites or something? I've looked at them and it doesn't look like they have anything. Does anyone else have this problem?

06-10-2004, 07:05 AM
I have that problem too. I have very sensitive skin and have always broken out after holding the rats. I am allergic to a great number of things, and always contributed it to that.

06-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Those little bumps are caled hives. You're allergic. Hate them little itchy itchy itchy bumps! Just wash your hands and arms thoroughly with soap after you play with the ratties.

Desert Arabian
06-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Yep, you are, you are getting hives. I get that exact same problem too, I am very allergic to my rats, especially Oscar (and Fred when he was alive). I wash the affected areas with soap and water then rub allergy itch cream on it to make them go away. It so totally stinks, but their love is worth the itching!!!! :D

06-10-2004, 03:58 PM
especially Oscar (and Fred when he was alive).

So is it possible to have more of a reaction to one rat than another? I've noticed that when I just handle Mokey I get a little itchy but when I handle Ari and Mushroom that's when I get a lot of bumps. Since usually I play with Ari and Mushroom together I'm not sure if both of them are causing the hives or if one is causing it more than the other.

Desert Arabian
06-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Yep, it is. I am more allergic to Oscar than anyone else- mainly because he's male.

06-10-2004, 09:56 PM
I would say you're allergic.

When I had Colby years ago, I was so deathly allergic to him, if I handled him at ALL, my eyes would literally swell shut for 3 days. I gave him to a friend who loved him and would care for him as he was meant to be cared for, but I visited him as often as I could.

I remember not being able to open my eyes all that well, due to massive quantities of eye goop. Though your reaction doesn't sound as severe as mine was, I would say you're allergic.