PDA

View Full Version : Respone to letter in Newspaper.

Ally Cat's Mommy
06-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Our local newspaper received the following letter:

Cats dilemma

I WANT clarification as to whether there are any procedures or practices in Bahrain to handle neutering of stray cats.

We live in a compound and have three of our own cats, all of which have been neutered, but outside the house, there are a total of 12 cats, five of which are recently-born kittens. Due to our love of all animals, we have taken it upon ourselves, rightly or wrongly, to ensure that these cats are adequately fed and this task is also shared with our direct neighbours.

However, the adult females are already pregnant again and knowing their breeding patterns, it is likely that the current number will double in the next few months.

My question is whether or not, any government agency or the Bahrain Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BSPCA) has a programme that allows stray or 'compound' cats to be neutered either free of charge, or for a small fee. We are reluctant to take any of these cats to the BSPCA knowing the problems that they continually encounter trying to house cats and the resultant actions if they are not successful in this respect. Genuine Animal Lovers

__________________________________________________ ____

I have drafted the following response on behalf of the shelter - please read it and give me your comments / advice - any changes which should be made etc:
I am writing in response to the letter from “Genuine Animal Lover” (GDN 27th May).

Many of us have undoubtedly felt compassion for these beautiful animals, and the urge to “help” them by providing food and water is strong. However this can have negative side-effects.

The harsh reality is that these animals are “hunters” and by providing an easy food source we are causing them to lose their hunting and scavenging abilities. What will become of these animals when their reliable food source disappears? They will not know how to fend for themselves. In addition, nature minimizes overpopulation by a process of natural selection – “survival of the fittest”. In nature only strong animals will successfully mate, and produce litters. Weak, sick or malnourished animals will typically not produce large, viable litters. However when we remove natures “birth control”, and provide food, we are creating an environment where healthy animals are breeding and producing large healthy litters. This needs to be controlled in some way.

A very humane way of handling this problem is by a process caller TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release). An animal is trapped in a humane trap, is spayed or neutered, and after a short recovery period is released back into the same area. Over a period of time, if all animals in an area have been TNR’ed, the population will decrease to a manageable level.

SO WHAT CAN YOU DO??? If you are already feeding cats in your compound, please consider taking this care one step further, by embarking on a TNR program! Contact the BSPCA and arrange to borrow a Humane Trap (a small refundable deposit is required). Once you have trapped the cat, either take it to the BSPCA or call them to make arrangements to collect the cat. (Once the cat is trapped it will be very anxious – an old towel or sheet placed over the trap will help to keep it calm). The BSPCA will then make arrangements for the animal to be spayed or neutered, and also have it’s ear “notched” – this identifies the animal as having been “fixed” and thus if it is trapped again it can be immediately released. After a short recovery period, the animal will then be released back into your compound, where it can continue to enjoy life!

WHAT WILL IT COST YOU??? The BSPCA relies totally on donations, and although our vets here in Bahrain do this work at a reduced rate, each operation does cost money, so any donation made towards the TNR of your compound’s cats is gratefully received. If you continue to feed them, and they continue to reproduce, you will be SAVING money on food by TNR’ing them!!.

Please don’t be intimidated if you have never tried something like this before. If you would like some advice on the trapping of your compound cats, I have some experience and would be happy to answer your questions or help if I can. Please contact Pam at the BSPCA on 17 591231, and she will provide you with my contact details.

Julie

Killearn Kitties
06-04-2004, 01:11 PM
I think it is an excellent response. I can't think of anything to add to it.

Randi
06-04-2004, 01:34 PM
I think it's an excellent reply too! :) It's also a good idea that you gave your phone no. so she can call you. It will be easier for her, knowing that you are a catlover as well. She may even want to join PT!

Isn't it nice to know that someone else cares for the stray kitties. :)

catlover4ever
06-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Good job Julie!!! I think you have covered it all.

catcrazylady
06-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Wow! That was great. It covered all the bases so people now know what to do and where to go to get help. I couldn't think of a thing to change.

catmandu
06-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Its sad to say , in in most countries , the People do not have any real affectin for pets , as thye are too busy , making a living , and have to struggle , more than we do!Bless You , for Caring , and feeding the Hungry ones!