PDA

View Full Version : Orphaned Wild Baby Bunny!

manda_moo87
06-01-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi some friends of mine jus phoned me and told me that their dog found what appeared to be an orphaned wild baby bunny. I gave them some info on how to feed/care for the little baby. It's SO tiny look like its only about 1 week old...hopefully it'll grow into a strong and healthy rabbit.

Here's a photo of it.

http://img22.photobucket.com/albums/v66/bucktailrabbitry/baby.jpg

Aspen and Misty
06-01-2004, 07:09 PM
The should put it back. Mother bunnies ONLY feed there babies once a day and it's normally during hte night!! The baby was most likly NOT abandoned.

Ash

zippy-kat
06-01-2004, 07:32 PM
If the dog found it, I would NOT put it back as it's likely the dog will follow the scent and find it again. I would however contact a wildlife rehab. in your area ASAP.

Aspen and Misty
06-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Woops! I didn't see that a dog found it ::smacks self::

Check it over good for any dog bites, hopefully the lil sweetie is ok. In that case ;) it seems your friend saved the lil bun bun!! I agree with Zippy, contect the local SPACA or Rehabilitator, they will know what to do and be able to keep it alive and healthy and then return it to the wild.

Ash

manda_moo87
06-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Yeah I hope it'll be okay, they did say it had a small cut on one of its legs and was rather on the skinny side other then that it seemed okay. I found a wonderful article about care on orphaned wild rabbits which should be helpful to them...

I believe they are planning on releasing it when it's old enough :).

Daisylover
06-02-2004, 11:47 AM
I'm guessing she is about 3 wks old since she has "real" fur
but I agree, she needs to go back to the wild.
see home page of www.rabbit.org

manda_moo87
06-03-2004, 09:01 PM
:( Sadly the little baby passed away today...

I wish they had left the little one alone...I'm sure Mommy wasn't too far off...:( oh well not much can be done now. RIP sweet little baby.

Kfamr
06-03-2004, 09:05 PM
R.I.P. Sweet bunny. :(