PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for...

catnapper
05-15-2004, 02:31 PM
cat friendly ant repellant?

We have ants already!!!:eek: Of course, neither of my boys ever jump up on the counters. :rolleyes: :p

I need to know if anybody has any ideas on how to get rid of them or keep them from visiting us. I read in a magazine that ants hate coffee... so I sprinkled some and now all I have is black coffee dust and a lot of ants. What else can I try?

Craftlady
05-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Spray the outside of your house foundation. I found that is the easiest way to keep ants from coming inside. Put ant traps inside cupboards that have pipes (kitchen, bathroom).
The other thing is throughly clean get all crumbs etc up from floor and counters. Keep everything is air tight containers.

catnapper
05-15-2004, 02:52 PM
I do feed them on the counters (Nicki would otherwise eat all of their food.) Now that the weather's warm, they have little appetite, so much of what is put out in the morning is there at 2:00 in the afternoon. I don't want the ants to crawl around their food dishes. Someone once told me to put their food bowl inside another bowl filled with water, and that would keep the ants from crawling in their food.... yeah, but how do you stop a Pouncer from playing in his food water? :D Silly boy doesn;t play in it when its for drinking, but when its for ant control, he splish-splashes :rolleyes:

Can I buy some exterior ant spray at the store (I've never done this before) and ould I have to reapply to ant stuff after rain?

ChrisH
05-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Amy (WolfQ) asked a similar question here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49020) and got some good information, some of which I am going to look into myself. I've been plagued by the damn things year after year.

Chris

catmandu
05-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Those little Ant Motels work here! And are Cat Friendly!

Craftlady
05-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by catnapper

Can I buy some exterior ant spray at the store (I've never done this before) and would I have to reapply to ant stuff after rain?

Yes, WalMart, Lowes. Home Depot in their garden centers.
Allot of these products aren't effected by rain. Their are gradular products that you can put around the foundation and they take it back to their nest. The sprays work good too.
We had Terminix service for 3 yrs (for mice) and what they put out around foundation (grandular product) worked great.

Also what helps when kitchen area isn't on ground level/foundation level. I love my second floor kitchen, We have story 1/2 house :)

kimlovescats
05-16-2004, 01:16 PM
We have ants too .... they come inside and find my food bowls no matter where I put them!!! :rolleyes:

Fallon
05-16-2004, 02:54 PM
I hate ants! They're so annoying during the summer. There's these little ant steaks my grandma uses.. You can stick them in the ground or dirt where the ants come in or lay them on the window sill and I'm sure they aren't harmful. You could probably get them at any store.