PDA

View Full Version : Snakebite

ILoveReptiles
05-13-2004, 11:35 PM
Well, Prism got me again, and he got me good. I was attempting to place him in his feeding bin (I have separate locking plastic bins for each of my snakes, which I feed them in, so that they don't associate their cages with food)...

Well he didn't seem to want to stay in the bin, and kept slithering out before I could close it, so I reached down to pick him up and put him back in the bin, and he whipped around and NAILED me. Right on the fleshy part of my hand between my thumb and pointing finger, and he must've opened his mouth pretty wide because there are two U-Shaped puncture sets - one extends all the way up to the bony part of the top of my hand, and he hit the vein.

Quick little bugger. From now on he's getting the snake hook treatment. I won't be touching him without it. And it's long enough to keep my hands out of strinking range.

;)

CathyBogart
05-14-2004, 02:33 AM
OW! Ow ow ow ow ow! Sorry you got nailed, that always sucks! I hope your hand is feeling better.

DJFyrewolf36
05-14-2004, 03:26 PM
What kind of snake is Prism? I hope the hand feels better...when I worked at the pet store I got nailed by a Basilisk of all things...that suprisingly hurt quite a bit so I can't immagine how much a snake would hurt! Heres to a speedy recovery and good luck with Prism in the future!

ILoveReptiles
05-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
What kind of snake is Prism? I hope the hand feels better...when I worked at the pet store I got nailed by a Basilisk of all things...that suprisingly hurt quite a bit so I can't immagine how much a snake would hurt! Heres to a speedy recovery and good luck with Prism in the future!

Hi DJFyreWolf...

Prism is a Brazilian Rainbow Boa Constrictor, and he's about 4.5 feet long now, not a small snake. It hurt at first but the pain didn't last too long. Thankfully he doesn't tear, he just punctures and lets go.

I do have a nasty bruise under the vein he hit, but that doesn't hurt either.

And to Wolfchan and DJFyreWolf: Thanks for the well wishes. ;) My hand is feeling better already.

Uabassoon
05-14-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm happy to hear that your hand if feeling better! Heehee of course I have to ask.. do you have any pictures of Prism?

trayi52
05-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Oh no, that just seems like it would hurt so bad. I'm glad you hand feels better though. I'm like Laura, I would love to see picture of prism.

My husband used to have a ball python, and he could hold it all the time, but for some odd reason, it would try to strike at me. Just scared me soo much. I was always afraid she was going to bite me. Guess, I was just a fraidy cat.

I really would love to see pictures of your prism. :)

Hope you hand gets even better.

Willie:)

ILoveReptiles
05-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Awww... I thought you guys had seen Prism before. He was pet of the day a while back...

Here's a picture of him ...

http://www.caicos.org/images/galleries/snakeGallery/prism4-19-2003b.jpg

trayi52
05-14-2004, 10:42 PM
My God, what beautiful coloring and markings he has. He looks like copper, he is just gorgeous! I have never seen the picture, I was missing out. Thanks for showing his picture.

Willie:)

ILoveReptiles
05-14-2004, 11:22 PM
Why thank you for the compliments! I'll be sure to tell Prism. :)

He's gorgeous, and he knows it. He gets fresh sometimes... ;)

trayi52
05-14-2004, 11:28 PM
I think I know what you mean! I got a bird that gets very fresh!:D

Fallon
05-14-2004, 11:35 PM
Sorry about the bite, sounds like it was a bad one. I bet Prism is sorry :)

slleipnir
05-15-2004, 09:30 PM
Wow, he's beautiful! I can't say I know what it feels like to get bitten by a snake, but by the looks of him I can tell it wouldn't be very pleasent :rolleyes:

DJFyrewolf36
05-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Prism is beautiful! Aptly named too! I'm glad the hand feels better!

Kfamr
05-19-2004, 07:33 PM
I sure remember Prism.... He's the prettiest snake I've ever seen.

OUCH.. how could such a beauty hurt so bad! :p