PDA

View Full Version : Way To Go New Jersey!!

QueenScoopalot
05-11-2004, 04:17 PM
http://www.nj.com/news/expresstimes/pa/index.ssf?/base/news-11/1084095314202420.xml Proposed state law would force landlords to accept dogs, cats on their properties
Sunday, May 09, 2004
TRENTON -- It's the one phrase pet-owning apartment hunters and would-be house renters fear to find buried within a classified ad: No pets allowed.

Now, a group of New Jersey lawmakers is pushing a bill that would secure the right of tenants to own dogs, cats and other common pets.

Information from Our Advertisers

And the measure would make it illegal for landlords to discriminate against prospective clients who own pets, making violations punishable by a $500 fine.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals endorsed the proposal, calling it an important way to prevent animals from being euthanized because owners can no longer keep them.

The five-member Assembly Housing and Local Government Committee unanimously approved the bill Monday. It next heads to Assembly Speaker Albio Sires, D-Hudson, who will decide whether to post it for a full vote in the Assembly.

Under the legislation, which still needs to clear the full Legislature, renters would be permitted to keep certain animals as pets after providing written notice to landlords.

I think it should also be written into the proposed law that all animals are altered, vaccinated, and microchipped. ;) ;) ;)

leslie flenner
05-11-2004, 09:00 PM
This is like a landmark! other towns hopefully to follow! And states and Boston! Nearly all the ads I look at say no pets. It drives me nuts! what are they so freakin worried about? I hope this goes through!

Pam
05-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Makes me proud to live in New Jersey. :cool: I have always wondered what the big deal was. Places which already do allow pets usually always ask for a little larger security deposit and/or charge a little extra $ per month to cover any damage from pets. I hope this goes through.

guster girl
05-11-2004, 09:53 PM
So, does that include people who own homes that they're renting out to tenants? They wouldn't be able to say no pets allowed in their houses? Just curious.....