PDA

View Full Version : New Kitten

JRM
05-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Hi everyone, I've visited before but this is my first post. I'm looking for some help with a new kitten. I've had my cat Winston for 7 months. I got him from the Humane Society here in MD. He is about 6 years old and very calm, though not a lapcat. On Saturday I brought him a baby brother, Wallace. Wallace is a 12 week old Ragdoll. I know that some people say that you should keep the new kitten in it's own room for the first week or so, but I simply do not have anywhere to do this. So far, everything seems to be going well. There is some hissing, of course. But there have also been brief moments of cuteness. I think Winston halfway wants to play with him, but isn't sure yet. I'm letting Winston establish his place as top cat. I have separated their food bowls and they each have their own litterbox. Of course, Winston likes to use the kittens. :) I'm giving Winston as much attention as he'll accept, and taking him for lots of walks on his leash. I know the kitten will be fine. My priority is to assure that Winston doesn't feel slighted. Does anyone have any experience they would be willing to share?

Twink
05-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Advice: hugs, pets and treats!

Sounds like you're doing really well making sure that Winston still knows that he's special! I really don't have any additional advice to give (since I know nothing about the subject!), but I wanted to congratulate you on your new kitten, and welcome you to Pet Talk!!! Now, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures, would you . . . ? :D :D

Oh, yes, I had a bit of advice earlier today from a PTer who has 8 cats and 3000 posts. I'm integrating 2 cats myself, and the advice was. . . . catnip party!!! Sounds like fun to me. :D Of course, the baby might be too young to be interested. But Winston would like it! ;)

JRM
05-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Okay, I'm going to try to attach a picture of Winston. Here goes!

lizzielou742
05-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Awww!! How cute!!
First, since you got them from the shelter - have they both been tested for FIV, Feluke, etc...what about vaccinations? Keping them healthy is the first thing you have to do to ensure they stay happy. After that sounds like you're doing great so far!!

JRM
05-03-2004, 08:33 PM
And here's a picture of baby Wallace...

Dog1,Cats2
05-03-2004, 08:33 PM
I brought 2 kittens in some years ago, when I had an elderly cat; they adored him and he played "Gramps" and put up with them. I let him establish the pace, and just watched to be sure nobody got hurt.

JRM
05-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Winston has been tested for FIV, FeLV, FIP, you name it. He was very sick when I brought him home. He had a UTI when I picked him up. Within two days he developed an Upper Respiritory Infection that nearly killed him. He didn't eat on his own for over a week. I look at him now and I can't imagine how someone could give him up. Pardon my bragging, but he has no bad habits! He only scratches where he's supposed to, never has litterbox issues, and he's such a calm and quiet boy. Not to mention that he's sooo soft and squishy! :D Wallace came from a Ragdoll breeder here in Maryland and has been fully vetted and neutered.
The only thing I had to do for him was clip those razor sharp little kiten claws!

Laura's Babies
05-03-2004, 10:14 PM
You sure have 2 absloutely beautiful furkids! I wanna bury my nose in all that fur!! Mmmmmm! Welcome to PT! Jump on in and hang around!

davidpizzica
05-03-2004, 11:09 PM
JRM, welcome to PT! You are allowed to brag as much as you want here! So welcome aboard.;) ;)

davidpizzica
05-03-2004, 11:19 PM
I have two cats, Nikki, and Daisy. Nikki was the first cat, and I did pretty much what you did in introducing them. BTW Nikki is my tuxedo cat, and Daisy is my tortie!!

nibblets
05-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Both cats are just gorgeous! Wallace looks SOOOO comfortable in his pic...the ultimate napping pic. You should enter it in the sleepyhead contest in one of the other posts.

catcrazylady
05-04-2004, 05:50 AM
Welcome aboard!! With two precious and beautiful cats like that I think you can brag as much as you like! I commend you for rescueing Winston and keeping him through all his illness. Many people return them to the shelter like they were damaged goods.

You will love it here and we will fall madly in love with your furballs. Just get used to being bugged to death for pictures!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

catmandu
05-04-2004, 09:03 AM
With Two Great Cats , like Those , you have every right , to BOAST!Feel free to Boast , we understand!

Kona & Oreo's mom
05-04-2004, 09:13 AM
What beautiful, fluffy kittens! Welcome to PT and lots of luck with your two.