PDA

View Full Version : Jada's toenail...help!!!

lovemyshiba
04-22-2004, 10:26 AM
The dogs are running around nutty like always, and I was collecting all my change to take to the bank, and I noticed blood on the floor. I noticed Jada limping and it's her. One toenail on her back paw is totally sideways and it is bleeding. I have syptic gel to stop the bleeding, but what do I do about the nail???
Should I call the vet???

I know she must be in pain......

ramanth
04-22-2004, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I'd call the vet.

Owie!!!!! :(

lovemyshiba
04-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Ok--I cleaned it out, as best I could, put on the syptic gel, and put a bootie on her paw to keep dirt out.
I called the vet, and of course, got the tech, and not Dr. Ritchie, but anyway, she said what I did was fine, and that they'll probably want to see her anyway, maybe to clean it out and bandage it up if need be. She will also take off the rest of the nail if she has too--I'm afraid to do that myself.

I'm concerned about infection, so I would like the vet to clean it out properly, because she did run outside after she did it, before I got the bootie on her.

One more thing, what can I give her, if anything, for pain.
She's an 80lb rottweiler--I would think a children's dose of tylenol or whatever would be ok???

ramanth
04-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Ugh... I wish I had my Pet First Aid book on me... Try a google search on the topic 'Pet First Aid' and it should let you know what is okay to give.

It may say to check with your vet though. :)

Hope Jada heals up fast!

Cinder & Smoke
04-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba

One more thing, what can I give her,
if anything, for pain.
She's an 80lb rottweiler--
I would think a children's dose of tylenol
or whatever would be ok???

:eek:

NO!!!! ~~ **NOT** Tylenol!!

Give only ASPIRIN (plain or Buffered) -
Tylenol is NOT ggod for Dogs unless a VET approves
for special reasons.

/s/ Phred

Sevens
04-22-2004, 12:08 PM
You definitely don't want to take off the nail yourself. When Bailey messed up her toenail, it had to "quicked". They gave her a little numbing stuff to the toe and some sort of dog tranquilizer to really chill her out. Then they cut the nail down to a little nub.

If they have to do it Jada, I described it in detail in this thread:

Bailey's Messed up Toenail (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31146&highlight=Bailey+toe+nail)

Good luck and give Jada some hugs from me!:)

lovemyshiba
04-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the link to that thread Sevens--that sounds exactly like what Jada did--the toenail is still hanging on though, and I don't want to touch it--I'll probably take her in tomorrow.
She is acting fine though--I have the bootie on her for now just so dirt doesn't get in--later tonight I'm going to clean it out really good, and let it breathe, and see what the vet says then.

Thanks for the info Phred--I don't have either in the house, but I'll remember that--whew!!!!:)

Thanks for your concern Kimmy!!!

Kfamr
04-22-2004, 05:52 PM
Poor Jada! OUCH!

I hope it heals fast!

lovemyshiba
04-23-2004, 01:26 PM
Looks like we're doing ok here. Yesterday as I was wondering about how to get the rest of the nail off, she took care of that herself. No more bleeding or anything, now it's just pinkish.
I'm just going to keep an eye on it, and see what happens. The vet said I could bring her in, but she would just clean it out and bandage her, nothing I couldn't do at home.

Jada is being a good girl about it, letting me put her bootie on when she goes outside, and letting me look at it when I want to check it out!!

Thanks for your concern and advice everyone!!!

Jada sends out some big rottie kisses for everyone!!!! (make sure you have a towel handy)

anna_66
04-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Oh Jada you poor thing! Angus says he knows exactly what that feels like and MAN! does it ever hurt!

I found out too that you can't mess with the nail, they'll take care of it themselves.

I hope it's feeling better today!
http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/Hugs_sm_flowerxquill.gif
to you and your brother and sisters!

Stenograsaurus
04-26-2004, 09:50 AM
Jada, I'm glad you're feeling better. I will accept any Rotty kisses you want to give!!! As my mother-in-law used to say, you haven't been kissed until you've been kissed by a Rotty.

Kfamr
04-26-2004, 11:25 PM
Hows your toe doing, Jada?

*kisses back at you girl*