PDA

View Full Version : Vaccinations in UK (etc)

QueenScoopalot
04-03-2004, 12:24 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/04/02/npet02.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/04/02/ixhome.html I do my own FVRCP & dogs vaccines, and only every three years. I dread the thought of one of my pets developing vaccine related carcinomas. Many vets are leaning towards less vaccinations, and then there's the flip side, vets who want money$$ and do it yearly.

Killearn Kitties
04-03-2004, 03:15 PM
I can't get the Telegraph link to work just now, but there was a big story about this in my paper yesterday too. It seems as if there is a big controversy brewing about vaccinations. I only skimmed the story yesterday. I will go back and read it properly.

Why do you do your own vaccinations? Do you work in the veterinary profession? That sounds a bit like a challenge, it wasn't meant to. :D I was just interested.

QueenScoopalot
04-03-2004, 03:26 PM
I do my own vaccinations because I do a lot of rescuing of strays etc. I've been hit with panleukopenia a few times, and don't want to have to go through it again. There's no telling who comes in off the streets harboring this deadly virus, and often as with feral kittens, they may be here for a while before they can be adopted out. Plus...it's cheaper.

leslie flenner
04-03-2004, 03:49 PM
My vet told me years ago that the distemper vaccine lasts possibly a lifetime and rabies as well. It's state regs that are overly cautious! I do not believe in annual distempers and have seen one of my cats get sick, sick, sick, from one. No more!

leslie flenner
04-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Anyone who does constant rescue work and has to keep newbies in their home either overnight or longer should ask about doing their own distemper vaccines at home. They are easy and it saves not just money but loads of money! Also deworming!! (Strongid- very cheap if you buy it yourself through vet catalogues). Same with flea remedies. Take in one cat or one litter with fleas and you're screwed for the next 3 months! Get advantage and other products from the vet catalogues and save a fortune!!