PDA

View Full Version : Back from my hospital stay...

NoahsMommy
03-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Well, seems as though late winter/early spring is when my Crohn's puts me in the hospital. I think I was there last Jan/Feb. Wierd...

I've been away since Tuesday evening and I'm SOOO glad to be home with my kitties. I missed them so much and tried so hard to get David to smuggle in Micah or Phoebe (my quieter fuzzies) into my room for me. ;) My vet/friend kindly bought me a small grey and white cat and my mom got me a large bear to snuggle with during my stay. They sure came in handy as it was a rough stay. :(

I was really sick on Tuesday and went to the ER. I got two doses of some stomach stuff and two doses of Demerol. I had chest and abdoman xrays and was wrongly sent home. :( It was a horrible night. I "slept" in the bathroom all night while Phoebe and Samson slept on my feet keeping me company. :) So sweet.

My GI called me Wednesday morning and told me to come in. After looking at me, he called the hospital to have me admitted. I stayed there until last night. My hemoglobin level was under 8, and my doctor wanted to do a blood transfusion because I was so dehydrated and anemic. Instead, he kept me on lots of fluids (w/ dextrose, potassium and magnesium) and lots of IV iron. I'm on iron pills and anti-nausea pills and will begin IV Iron treatments next week.

My doctor did about a million blood tests and other tests and we're just waiting for the results. He doesn't know what caused my attack if it was my crohn's or if it was gastritis.

Glad that's over!!! I had the roomate from hell my second day and my pain came back so they had to move her. It was terrible. My new roomate, on the other hand, was heaven sent. Her hubby is a pastor and he prayed for me and read some chapters from the bible. It did wonders for me stress-wise. I think we've made some good friends. :)

Anyway, I'd like to ask for some prayers. I have to go back to work next week, but I'm worried that is a part of what made me go into an attack. I don't want another one, but I don't want to quit and hurt us financially. Please pray for guidance for me.

Thanks guys. :)

Miss Meow
03-27-2004, 11:15 PM
I didn't realise you were in hospital, you poor thing :( I'm glad you're on the mend and starting a different treatment.

We all send positive thoughts to you, and hope you find the cause of the attack. {{{hugs}}}

jenfer
03-27-2004, 11:27 PM
Get well soon!

Steffi N
03-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Kelly, I am sorry you were so sick, relieved that you are home. It’s not fair that you have to go through all this suffering. I hope the iron treatments will help.
Rx: Kitties, please administer nosekissies, licks, and plenty of cuddles.
Comforting and hopeful thoughts sent your way.
{{HUGS}}

Kater
03-28-2004, 12:24 AM
Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear that your Crohns has been giving you so much trouble. Thank goodness that horrible episode is over - it sounds just terrible! I'm not surprised you ended up making new friends in the hospital - that is just how I imagine you, an amazing spirit even in the most horrendous of times. {{{HUG}}}

I pray that you will be able to continue to work as well as get some answers as to what is causing these episodes. You have been so strong through all of this, I am so impressed. I imagine your strong faith has helped you.

Feel better and take care! You have eight eager nurses who want nothing more than for their Mommy to feel better so hopefully that will be no problem!

{{{MORE HUGS}}}

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-28-2004, 01:01 AM
I'm soory to he you have had such a rough time and been in hospital! I hope you recover quickly, and feel okay to go back to work next week. Keeping you in my thoughs and prayers.

(((HUGS)))

krazyaboutkatz
03-28-2004, 02:13 AM
Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear that you were in the hospital.:( I hope you start feeling better soon and that the iron treatments will help you. Please take care and try to avoid stress. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.{{{HUGS}}}

PayItForward
03-28-2004, 05:33 AM
Kelly,

{{{Hugs}}} for you, I am so pleased you are back home and I hope you are well enough to return to work next week.

But if you are not well, stay at home, don't make yourself worst by forcing yourself into work when you are not ready.

Thinking of you at home surrounded by your kitties :)

catnapper
03-28-2004, 07:07 AM
I am sorry that you had to go through all of that. Prayers to you -one set for getting better, another set for the stress at work. I'm sure the Dr. Phoebe and Samson are taking extraordinary good care of you at home.

TWO doses of Demerol? Wow... when I've got the migraine from you-know-where, one dose and I'm in painfree la-la land... you must have been in some serious pain.

Pam
03-28-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
[COLOR=tealMy new roomate, on the other hand, was heaven sent. Her hubby is a pastor and he prayed for me and read some chapters from the bible. It did wonders for me stress-wise. I think we've made some good friends. :) [/COLOR]

Kelly, I am so sorry to hear that you have been so sick. I remember thinking that you hadn't been posting much lately but thought that maybe you were just posting when I wasn't logged on.

Although it is hard to make much sense of life when these things happen I think there is a reason for everything in the scheme of things, although personally I could do without the "bad stuff" to tell you the truth. Maybe your new friendship with your roommate and her hubby is the good to come out of all of this. I know they will keep you in their prayers as we all will and hope that work is not the factor in these attacks. You take care of yourself and try to relax and know that we all care about you. (((hugs)))

Tonya
03-28-2004, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you were in the hospital. I'm glad to hear that you are back home with your furbabies. I'll be praying for you.

lovemyshiba
03-28-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that you were in the hospital.

I hope you are feeling better now (it sounds like you are). Take it easy for a while, and just let those kitties be your nurses.

gini
03-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Dear Kelly, I am so upset to learn that you had to have a hospital stay to get you stabilized.

What a terrible ordeal for you to have to endure. I pray that the iron treatments will help.

Were you ever able to inquire about the new medication that my friend is also on? He claimed that it has changed his life.

Pam is so right - strange things can happen and your meeting the pastor and his wife is by no means coincidental.

I'm praying for you dear girl!

moosmom
03-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Kelly,

I wondered where you were! I'm sorry about your "attack" and hope that it's finally over.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers! Try smuggling Micah in your overnight bag! ;) Feel better.

Randi
03-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Kelly, I'm sorry you had to go to the hospital. :( I hope you're feeling better and will continue to be!

Sending you positive and healing thoughts! :) Fister sends purrs! ;)

Corinna
03-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Prayers to you for the answers you and the doctors are looking for. Maybe it was to meet the new freinds. God works in strange ways.

trayi52
03-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Kelly, I hope you get to feeling better soon, sorry about you having to stay in the hospital. My prayers and thoughts arre with you.

Willie

jazzcat
03-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Kelly, I'm glad you are back home. Prayers are on the way for your continued recovery. I hope next week isn't too hard on you at work.

ChrisH
03-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Kelly, sorry to hear you had to be hospitalised, glad to hear you are home now though.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Hugs
Chris

NoahsMommy
03-28-2004, 01:03 PM
Thank you guys. :)

I'm feeling a bit better today. I'm able to eat dry Special K cereal and apple juice for breakfast. Yay, go Kelly! ;)

I have a new pain that is worrying me a little. My upper, right arm is really, really sore. I didn't sleep wrong on it, because I noticed it before bed yesturday and made sure to support it while I slept last night. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the original IV that was in there on Wednesday-Thursday. It came out of the vein and they had to move it to my left arm. I had at least 20 minutes of IV fluids until we figured out why it hurt so much. Could it just be that? (even though my IV was close to my hand?)

I also awoke to cramps this morning. Fun, fun!

Anyway...

catnapper,
Yea, I got two injections within about an hour of each other. They would begin to work, but then stop. They usually work really well for me. :(

gini,
I haven't asked my GI about that medicine yet. I don't think I'm that advanced yet. He's never put me on anything other than my maintence drugs and something for symptoms. My symptoms arise when I'm stressed out. I can usually tell I'm stressed or about to get an attack. When I do, I can go home and take Vicodin. I've been averaging taking it once a month and then feeling better. This month, I took it five times! Last week alone I needed it three times, but could only take it twice (hence my hospital stay). You're such a sweetie, thanks for your concern. I will ask my GI about that medicine next week at my follow-up visit. How is your friend doing, by the way? I hope he is well. :)

Pam, Kate and others,
The couple we met really did touch me in a way that amazes me. There are other things that happened during the small amount of our time together that have changed my perspective on things with David and our future. Its amazing how God works. :)

Karen
03-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Glad you are home again, sorry you're sore and crampy, but I hope you feel better and better - and that the furry ones are snuggling you extra to make up for lost time.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-28-2004, 01:33 PM
I'm glad you are home with your fur kids now! Prayers are on the way for you. Hope you feel lots better real soon. All that fuzzy love should help a lot!

Felicia's Mom
03-28-2004, 03:22 PM
Sorry to hear you have been in the hospital. Hope you feel better.

shais_mom
03-28-2004, 10:22 PM
I am so sorry that you were in the hospital Kelly!
I hope you are feeling better!

popcornbird
03-28-2004, 10:27 PM
I'm so sorry to hear you aren't feeling well Kelly, and that you had to be admitted in the hospital. :( Hope you feel well soon. I'll be praying for you. Take care.

4 Dog Mother
03-29-2004, 06:13 AM
Kelly,

I am sorry you were in the hospital. Crohn's is a terrible thing to have. My sister-in-law has it - she is about 48 years old. If it would help to talk to some one (although it might have to be through e-mail because she never seems to be home) I can link you up.

I hope you feel better soon. I know quitting a job is a difficult thing to do especially right now but if you are going to land in the hospital more often or make your Crohn's worse, the money may not be worth it. Stress does terrible things to our health!

ramanth
03-29-2004, 07:50 AM
:( *gentle hugs* I hope you are feeling better.

Kona & Oreo's mom
03-29-2004, 10:51 AM
I hope that you're feeling better and that the cramps subside. Best wishes to you--

NoahsMommy
03-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Well....I have an appointment with my GI today at 11:15. I don't think I'm able to drive, so my step-dad is going to drive me...this arm is getting worse. :(

I have to tell you, I feel like I'm in REALLY good hands. I called the office today and they didn't have any appointments, but when I told her my name and my symptoms, she called my doctor. He called me from the hospital, from surgery to tell me to come in at 11:15.

I'll keep you all updated. :) I'm so glad for PT, its such a welcome distraction from my worry. Thanks guys!

Barbara
03-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Kelly, all the best thoughts for you from here. You have so much to bear I wish you strength (and I think you are a very strong woman:) ).

I hope you feel better and all the medicine works:)

Christiansmommy
03-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Hope all is well. Please keep us posted. I am sorry that you aren't feeling well. I am glad to hear , though, that you met those people during your last hospital stay...that wasn't by accident that you did...God placed you both there for a reason, and i am sure something good has to at least come from that...

Anyway, feel better.

Robyn

slick
03-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Good luck Kelly. I hope things go well for you.

NoahsMommy
03-29-2004, 05:36 PM
I'm back. My doctor was concerned that I had a blood clot from the IV in my arm and lungs, so I got to do an array of tests today. ;) I wonder if I'll glow tonight?

Luckily, my lungs are OK, no clots. My hemoglobin levels are up to 10, so that is good.

He doesn't know why my arm hurts, so he gave me two doses of Vioxx this morning and told me to take the same dose tomorrow morning. If I don't feel better by Wednesday, he gave me the names of two rheumatologists to make an appointment with.

He thinks my shortness of breath and fatigue is due to the anemia.

Just wanted to give an update. :)

slick
03-29-2004, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the update Kelly. I'm so sorry you've had such a rough go of this and you will continue to be in my prayers.

AmberLee
03-30-2004, 02:29 PM
{{{gentle hugs}}} Continuing prayers for you; too. Please keep us updated.

NoahsMommy
03-30-2004, 07:02 PM
Thank you Amberlee and Slick. :)

I went to my GI again today for another followup. He got lots of results back and they are good. He did a genetic testing for Celiac disease, as my sypmtoms in the ER and hospital are quite similair to that. It was negative...that's a good thing, as I would be able to have wheat anything. No thanks!! ;)

I'm still really anemic and my arm still hurts. I have an appointment with a rheumatologist tomorrow at 4:00.

Some SUPER great news???? I got in touch with my school and they have a program that I'm going to apply for. I have an appointment at 10:00 Thursday morning. It basically is for students with disabilities. I'll get to have a special parking permit (way too tired to trek up hills to get to class, and I freak out I wont find a spot and I have to go potty...then I get worse from there) and if I miss classes because I'm sick (like I always do), I can get notes and the teachers can help me out with lecture material. I'm so happy. I am a 4.0 student, but my transcript is TERRIBLE with all the classes I've had to drop. I feel so much better emotionally regarding this. Yay!!! :D

krazyaboutkatz
03-30-2004, 11:08 PM
Kelly, I'm so glad to hear that things are looking up for you.:) Please feel better soon and take care of yourself. {{{HUGS}}}

AmberLee
03-31-2004, 01:02 AM
Great news about the school, Kelly. The hospital test results sound good, too, but I don't quite understand them (It's been a long, hard day. ;) )

Nomilynn
04-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Kelly I hope you are feeling better and your classes work out for you! :)