PDA

View Full Version : Shedding

MHMama
03-24-2004, 07:27 AM
Ricky & Lucy Tu are shedding like crazy. They are both long-haired chihuahuas and this is the first time I have had this problem with them. Ricky is 4 and Lucy Tu is 2 1/2.
I am constantly brushing them, vacuuming the carpet and upholstery and they still leave more. I am finding fur everywhere. Help!

Logan
03-24-2004, 07:46 AM
Ours are blowing their coats, big time, too. Of course, the emphasis is on the BIG dogs blowing their hair in a BIG way!!!! :p And all four of them are doing it at the same time. The only advice I have ever gotten is to use a good tool and brush them daily (we have to do it outdoors). All of mine need a good bath too right now to help them get rid of more of it. I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

Wish I had advice for you, but I really don't! Just imagine this and maybe it will make you feel better: Your Ricky is "heavy" at 8 pounds. My smallest (Honey) weighs 73 pounds!! :eek:

ScoobyDoo-Doo
03-24-2004, 12:04 PM
The best solution for a variety of dog shedding and skin problems is a daily dose of Brewer's yeast!!! I have an Eskimo Spitz and it has improved his hair loss and coat tremendously. It takes a few doses to get in but it is worth it. Can get the tablets at Pet Stores, Nutritional Stores, and Walmart. Only a few dollars a bottle. Make sure dog is not allergic to yeast. It is great for flea reduction as well.

Corinna
03-24-2004, 01:14 PM
any one ever had a newfy? talk about coat blowing. I already have enough to make a sweater. 2 grocery bags full and shes just getting started.

KYS
03-24-2004, 08:09 PM
LOL! I just filled up a grocery bag with Sheba's fur
while I was watching t.V.

You might want to give Ricky & Lucy a warm bath.
(speeds up the process)
That seems to bring out more of the fur and loosen it up
making it easy to get rid of the undercoat.

lovemyshiba
03-25-2004, 08:28 AM
I've got some shedders here too!!!
Kito is blowing his coat, which means I have to brush him every day, or he leaves chunks of hair all over the house--I even ran the vaccuum over him last week (with the hose attachment)--he loved it!!!!! Lucky for me, he loves to be brushed--he usually just falls asleep while I'm doing it.
Abbey is shedding a lot too--beagle hair really sticks to everything!! She doesn't enjoy being brushed as much as Kito does, but she lets me run the brush over her a couple of times!!
Riley HATES the brush. When I get it out, he jumps the gate and "hides" by the front door. I use gloves on him--he just thinks I'm petting him.
Jada doesn't shed, at least she hasn't yet anyway. The most I ever get when I brush her is a couple of hairs--and she loves it too!!

I use a rake on Kito's double coat, and it does double duty--when I'm done, I use it to clean the carpet--it really picks up all of the hair out of the carpet!!

RobiLee
04-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Katie is blowing coat also. Wow, what a mess! I've never seen anything like it. Like KYS said warm baths do help alot. Alden has taken over this job and he brushes and brushes her everyday at least twice a day. He keeps her brush right by his chair now so he can brush her while he watches tv.

Robin :)