PDA

View Full Version : LilEli needs a visit to the white coats...

moosmom
03-22-2004, 08:32 PM
He's been scratching his ears and shaking his head alot lately. As some of you know, LilEli is semi-feral and is very skiddish. I was able to check his ears a couple of weeks back. It was tough because I had to literally hold him by the scruff of his neck with one hand, while wrapping my legs around his body and using a Q-Tip with the other hand. I was able to put some medicine in it which he absolutely hated!! A few days later I checked again and it seems that he's got some kind of crusty stuff in them.

I tried again tonight and he wailed! That was just before he sliced my wrist open with his claws then ran and hid. I haven't seen him since. He's probably under the bed.

Anyway, I'm going to have to take him to the vet. This condition has been there for a while. I've tried treating it myself but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

The last time I had a cat with this kind of thing, the crust was on the outside of Marina Mar's ears and was diagnosed as Pemphigus Areolus, an immune deficiency condition where the bad cells destroy the good cells that make new skin. Her ears were totally bald and it had gone into her nailbeds, which meant it was advanced and very painful. I'm HOPING it's not the same thing.

Marina's vet told me that it is common in stray cats. Unfortunately, I can't get LilEli to the vet till I get my income tax check, as I have a feeling it's gonna be expensive. Mollie Rose also has to go for her constant sneezing and congestion.

It's always SOMETHING!!!

*sigh*
mental note: this too shall pass, this too shall pass

krazyaboutkatz
03-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Donna, I'm so sorry to hear that Lil Eli's ears are infected.:( Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. I sure hope it's nothing serious. Hopefully Mollie Rose will be fine too. Please keep us updated.

trayi52
03-23-2004, 12:14 AM
Donna, I hope things gets better for you. It does seem like its one thing after the other, I hear you there. I will keep positive thoughts for you and your gang.

Willie

shais_mom
03-23-2004, 12:24 AM
GOOD LUCK and prayers on the way for you and your crew Donna!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-23-2004, 09:30 AM
Poor Lil Eli. :( I hope it's nothing major and will be cleared up in no time.

Randi
03-23-2004, 09:47 AM
Poor Lil Eli. :( I hope it's nothing serious! Perhaps the vet can give some eardrops which will clear it up - you may be able to while he's asleep. ;)

Sending positive thoughts for his healing!

kuhio98
03-23-2004, 01:36 PM
We just went through something similar with our new baby. It turned out to be ear mites. We had to squirt some medicine in both ears, twice a day for 7 days and it took care of it.

Hope LilEli's problem is quickly remedied without you (or her) needing any stitches.

PayItForward
03-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Oh no, it doesn't just rain sometimes it pours :(

I hope everything is minor, less expensive than thought and that both Lil Eli & Mollie Rose get well soon.

catcrazylady
03-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Mine are starting the same thing. They always do it this time of year. Sometimes I treat for earmites and if they seem ok then we skip the vet. I can always tell if its an ear infection because they start to show their not feeling well. Then we go to the vet!
I wonder if it's allergies since we go through this every Spring?

Anyway...I hope LilEli is ok and doesn't need much treatment. Don't you hate fighting them when its an ear situation? They can flatten them to the point that you just about can't get in there!! Keep us posted on how he is doing.

jenluckenbach
03-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Best of luck with Eli's ears.

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-24-2004, 01:23 AM
AWWW poor little guy! Hope his ears are better soon (and that it is not too expensive!)