View Full Version : Karen's Saturday

Paul
03-20-2004, 02:30 PM
   Here's what Karen did today:

http://petoftheday.com/online/paul/goat.jpg

Paul

micki76
03-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Awwww!! Karen & Paul! Where did y'all go?

popcornbird
03-20-2004, 02:34 PM
OMG!!! AWWWW! I want to do that too! :p:D

Cinder & Smoke
03-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Soooo....

Is that a New Buddie fur da WABBITT!????

Wunder whut Miz Hoppy will say?

:D

4 Dog Mother
03-20-2004, 02:38 PM
Inquiring minds want to know -

Is that a New Buddie fur da WABBITT!????

CamCamPup33
How cute! :D :D

wolfsoul
Awww! :D Is he/she your's now?

Randi
03-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Karen, it seems like the perfect way to spend a saturday afternoon! :D What a sweetie! :p Tell us more!

slick
03-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Paul
   Here's what Karen did today:

http://petoftheday.com/online/paul/goat.jpg

Paul
OK, you can't just bait us and not give an explanation........:) :D

Is this a new addition to the household????

Paul
03-20-2004, 03:02 PM
   Today we visited Heifer International (http://www.heifer.org/)'s Overlook farm. We came home alone. I will let Karen explain once she wakes up.

Along with normal farm animals we saw a dzo.

Paul

Cincy'sMom
03-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Nothing like dangling carrots in from of us!!! Do you have a 10 word limit on your posts or something Paul?

jenluckenbach
03-20-2004, 03:24 PM
I'd like to be doing some of that myself! :D

catnapper
03-20-2004, 03:28 PM
I'd love to hold a baby like that one! Lucky Karen!

Dogz
03-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Wow! What a great way to spend a Saturday! I would also like to hold one!:) Lucky you!

bluekat
03-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Awww, how cute!:D I'd like to do that too:D

tatsxxx11
03-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Karen, WAKE UP!!!!!!!:D:D:D Inquiring minds want to know!:) What a precious little goat!:D

mugsy
03-20-2004, 04:35 PM
What a doll!!! I'm waiting in breathless anticipation!!!

Kfamr
03-20-2004, 04:36 PM
I just saw her online too! How dare her.:p

Karen
03-20-2004, 04:36 PM
No, he didn't come home with us, his momma needed him back. That baby goat is just one week old today! His fur was ssooooo soft, and he snuggled right into my arms. There was a teenaged volunteer letting children hold him, each one for a few seconds, and she seemed a little startled when someone taller than she asked for a turn!

I also got to hold a nice black Rex rabbit - about twice Miss Hoppy's size.

We started the visit with a pancake breakfast - in March Heifer Project holds "Sugaring Days" events, so it was real maple syrup of course.

We then wandered outside, where we got to see:
A donkey and a llama snacking on hay together
Sheep of several types
Draft horses waiting for passengers for the hay ride
A big brown camel
A yak and a dzo
Chickens everywhere
Ducks of many kinds wandering about
Cows

Then into the barn we went and saw:
A fat, long-haired barn cat, inexplicably sitting in a mostly empty hay bin
Baby lambies and their moms
Kids and their goat mommas
Bunnies
More sheep and cattle and goats
Even more chickens and ducks and even guinea fowl

and, stalking one particular duck,
Katie, a very busy Border Collie, who, once she had chased him out of the barn, continued just zipping through, checking on everything.

Outside of the other side of the barn were more cages with more bunnies, more cows outside on the other side of the barn, and Zoe, the second, younger Border Collie, who convinced a boy in our group to throw snowballs for her to catch.

Went down to the sugaring shed, which was of course warm and fragrant and busy.

There - that enough explanation for you?

Stephanie, a high-school senior, was fascinated by the goats and kept saying "Plleeeaaze Dad, can I get a goat?" To which he wisely replied, "Of course, as soon as you buy your own house."

The baby goat was soooo sweet! The Heifer Project has only three farm sites in the U.S. and it's fun that two of the three have recently been visited by Pet Talkers!
(Tonya's California visit (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44749) )

popcornbird
03-20-2004, 04:40 PM
1 week old?!?! Awwww so little.........so cute. I *love* goats, and would love to have a pet goat. Come to think of it, if I had the choice between getting a goat or a cat, I would probably go for a goat. That is how much I love those critters! You're SO lucky to have held that precious little baby. You should have told that teenaged girl, that if a whole bunch of PT'ers where there, there would have been a LOT of *tall ones* in line to hold the goats! :p

Cincy'sMom
03-20-2004, 04:55 PM
What a fun day!!!

I don't kowif I am the only one here that didn't know, but I had to look up what a Dzo was!

In case there is anyone else...

A Dzo - progeny of mating between cow and yak
Heterosis in an interspecific hybrid of the yak and the domesticated cow. This female hybrid exceeded its larger parent species (cattle) by over 20% in body weight. On the other hand, the hybrid shows a dominant cattle behavioral trait in the inability to "know" that forage grass can be found underneath a covering snow using hooves for snow removal. Yaks are able to forage when the ground is snow covered. From J. Heredity: 29,31 (1938).

A Dzo is a male hybrid of a yak and a domesticated cow. They are larger and stronger than cattle, and are bread for agricultuaral work in Nepal.

4 Dog Mother
03-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Ahh, thanks Amy, I, too wondered what a Dzo was but was too lazy to try adn find out. Looks like a fun day visiting all the animals, Karen and Paul!

Karen
03-20-2004, 06:12 PM
We took more photos, I've just gone through them, will put some up later.

I was waiting for someone to ask what a dzo was! Besides a good crossword puzzle/Scrabble word ... good for you to look it up! I didn't know before today, either.

G.P.girl
03-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Awwww what a cute goatie!!! :D makes me want one!

krazyaboutkatz
03-20-2004, 06:48 PM
It sure sounds like you had the perfect day.:) That baby goat is adorable. I look forward to seeing more of your pictures.:)

dukedogsmom
03-20-2004, 07:57 PM
You're so lucky! That little goat was so cute. And, I would have loved to have seen the draft horses and gone for a hay ride. The border collie sounds cute. We'll look forward to seeing lots of pics!

Miss Meow
03-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Cute!

Looks like you had a great day. I love the comment about the girl who has to get her own house before she gets her own goat! :)

AmberLee
03-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Wow! PT is so educational. Is Dzo pronounced Duh'zoe?

I, too, am looking forward to more photos. Yippee!

trayi52
03-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Baby goats make the best pets. My granddaughter got her a baby goat yesterday. She is so happy with it.

It certainly sounds like you had a wonderful day! I would love to see more pictures too.

Willie:)

Karen
03-21-2004, 08:40 AM
Dzo is just pronounced - Zo - but one guy spelled it out for us so we would know!

I'll try to get the pictures online this afternoon.

EssTer
03-21-2004, 09:00 AM
aww!! awesome!! soo cute...;)

bluekat
03-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Sounds like you had a fun day! Awww, the baby goat is only a week old?:D So cute!!! I want a goat too!
Looking forward to the rest of the pics:)

gini
03-21-2004, 10:45 AM
There just isn't anything quite like "a baby - anything" - that little goat is so sweet.

I too was going to rush over to Google about a Dzo - but I kept reading and now I know.

Do you have any pictures of it Karen?

Sounds like a pretty special day to me.

Barbara
03-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Baby goats are among the cutest little animals (for me , little snakes and crocodiles are cute too but not just as cute as little goats and lambs).

Around here you can see some outside at this time of the year. Close by is a farm where they are brown - sooooo cute. But when you approach the fence and begin feeding dandelions to the bigger ones they always make sure the little ones stay behind. And I would love sooo much to hold one:)

luckies4me
03-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Great pic! I LOVE goats and plan on having a gazlillion one day! :D

For those who don't know, a Dzo is a cross between cattle and yak, and they are much bigger and known to have better meat too!

anna_66
03-21-2004, 09:37 PM
I just love it! And Karen, you couldn't have looked happier:D

Sounds like you had a great time!

kimlovescats
03-22-2004, 02:09 AM
What an adorable baby! Sounds like a fun day indeed!!! :)

ramanth
03-22-2004, 08:13 AM
What fun!! That baby goat is so adorable! :D

Logan
03-22-2004, 08:55 AM
What a fun day, Karen and Paul! :) Each summer during Vacation Bible School, the children of our church raise money for the Heifer Project. That's how I am familiar. :)

Karen
03-22-2004, 08:46 PM
I'll try to get the rest of the pictures up soon, sorry for the delay, folks. Heifer Project was one of Ma's favorite mission committee projects.