PDA

View Full Version : I love you, Nelly.

Dogz
03-16-2004, 10:27 PM
I can't believe I am making a thread like this.

Nelly was out of his cage, and my mom had opened up all of the windows to 'let some fresh air in'. She "forgot" that one of the windows didn't have a screen. Nelly was due for his wings to be clipped. He came flying into the kitchen as he always does when we are eating, only he didn't stop. He went into the other room and my mom ran in after him. I jumped up, and I heard my mom scream, "Holy ****, he flew out the window!" I said, "You are lying!" Then I ran outside and saw Nelly, in the sky. He circled, swooped, and now... he's gone. I fell like such a bad mom. Ugh, I feel horrible. I needed to let that out. I have been crying almost non-stop for three days. I didn't go to school. I was just sick to my stomach. I can't sleep.
:( :( :( :( :( :(

Nelly was the best cockatiel that I could ever imagine. I can just remember the day that I met her. We were made for each other. I could feel it that day, and I still do.

:( :( :( :(

That is the reason I have been gone for a while, if you noticed. Also, on Saturday, there was a thunder/lightning storm, and the internet crashed.

Nomilynn
03-16-2004, 10:30 PM
omg I'm so very sorry :( That's awful :( I hope you feel better. And, sometimes, people get their birds back. Maybe you can make a couple posters or let a couple vets/shelters he's missing? I will be thinking of you guys.

slleipnir
03-16-2004, 10:31 PM
:(:(

I don't know what to say other then I'm sorry.. :(

Logan
03-16-2004, 10:38 PM
I am so sorry. :( :( I can't imagine how I would feel if one of mine were to escape like that. It reminds me that both of mine need to be clipped as well. I will make the appointment tomorrow, for sure, just for that reason.

Can you put Nelly's cage outside with some tempting food? Perhaps it would help! And definitely get in touch with every vet, pet store, animal shelter, etc in your area. I have heard remarkable stories of recoveries after this kind of posting. If someone does find her, the first thing they will do is go shop for a cage, or seek advice. It couldn't hurt.

Best of luck, and many prayer for you and Nelly.

trayi52
03-16-2004, 10:40 PM
We had a bird get out like that one time, and we put its cage out with the door open and food and water and he came back.

Checking with neighbors is a good idea. They may have seen him. I have been wondering where you were! Now I know, I hope Nelly finds his way back to his mommy. I will keep you and Nelly in my prayers. I am so sorry, I know how much you love Nelly.

Willie

Dogz
03-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Logan

Can you put Nelly's cage outside with some tempting food?

Done.

He knows it is there too. After he flew we heard him in the woods. My dad used his binoculars and actually found her. We went to the bottom of the very high tree and tried to coax him down. We put his cage and tempting food at the bottom.

Thank you for the advice, I will get it touch with my veternarian. The only bad part is, is that the vet that is nearest to us is a half hour away, and it is not an avian veteranarian.

Thank you for all the kind words, everyone.

Logan
03-16-2004, 10:53 PM
I mean call EVERY Vet in your area (even those that aren't Avian vets), EVERY Pet Store (especially these), EVERY shelter. You never know when she might decide she's ready to go inside and someone will get her and start wondering what to do! If you have a picture, put it on a flyer and post it everywhere, especially in all of these places. She might come back. Keep up the hope!!!! I certainly will!!

Kfamr
03-16-2004, 10:58 PM
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/nalasimmy/emma.jpg

I hope whatever happens that she finds a safe place to stay, hopefully at home where she belongs, with you her LOVING mommy. Don't blame it on yourself at all, because it isn't your fault.

{{HUGS}}

G.P.girl
03-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Oh i'm so so sorry:( {{hugs}}

popcornbird
03-16-2004, 11:14 PM
OMG!! Not Nelly!!!! :(:( {{{hugs Emma}}}

Emma, DON'T give up! I also go to a cockatiel board and cannot tell you how many people's birds flew away, and they got them back, after a few days, weeks, even months. There is hope! Post signs EVERYWHERE. Inform every pet store and every vet in the area. Tell neighbors, tell kids in the area that play outside and may sight him. Whatever you do, don't lose hope. I will be praying hard for Nelly's safe return. I know you love that bird so much. May God bring him back to you, safely, and soon. Keep us updated.

*hugs*

Come back NelNel! :(

http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v51/popcornbird/b7d8873d.jpg

jenfer
03-17-2004, 12:54 AM
I am sorry to hear that. Hope Nelly will come home soon!

Dogz
03-17-2004, 07:32 AM
Thank you all, for the sweet words. I am going to get started today on making posters, calling, etc. I just want my baby back.:(

Thank you so much, SCP, and KayAnn, those both made me feel better. You are too kind.

bluekat
03-17-2004, 08:19 AM
I'm so sorry:( {{{hugs}}}
Don't give up yet...Nelly will come back. I'm sure he'll want to come back home.
Hope the posters work. I'll be keeping you in my htoughts and prayers. Keep us updated!

wolfie
03-17-2004, 08:20 AM
Oh I'm so sorry! :( :( :(

I hope Nelly comes back home. :(

micki76
03-17-2004, 09:31 AM
I'm so sorry, Emma. :( I'll be praying Nelly comes home soon. Don't give up, my friend's tiel got out and came home several days later. She walked out the front door and TooToo was in the bush by the front window!

green_chameleon_girl
03-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Aw im so sorry!! This happened to my uncles Congo African Gray except they found him 20 feet up in a tree. Its worth putting posters out someone may find him!! Go to your local shelter and if they get a cockateil make sure they call you. It could work. Im so sorry he flew away:(

luckies4me
03-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Oh no! I can't believe this. You NEED to get posters up ASAP! Everyone needs to know your bird is missing. Put an add in the paper too and post flyers everywhere around your neighborhood. Perhaps invest in a pool net, or borrow one just in case your see the bird again you have a greater chance of capturing it. This thread is making me so sad. In California there are Tiels lose everywhere always flying around. Unfortunately they didn't last long due to the crows always harassing and killing them, but keep your chin up because birds DO come back. That's how we got our old Pancha. She was a wild tiel that got lose and somehow survived for about ten years in the wild before she was able to be caught. One of our old Latinos was found in a tree, so they can and do survive. I will be keeping sweet Nelly in my thoughts and prayers. It's was NOT your fault, accidents happen. :(

ramanth
03-17-2004, 11:38 AM
DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!!!! Check the papers... put up posters...

One year, my mom was picking me and my sisters up from elementary school, when this cockatiel comes flying out of no where and lands on the hood of our car.

Mom coaxed him to her hand and we took him home. (The cats where THRILLED!! :p :rolleyes: )

We borrowed a cage from a friend and put a Found Ad in the paper and Found posters up around the school. Days later his VERY happy owners came calling. They were in the process of moving and the little guy had flown out the open door.

Again... don't give up hope. *hugs*

RubyMutt
03-17-2004, 01:18 PM
(((HUGS)))

:( I'm so sorry to hear this. Please don't lose hope, do whatever you can to get your dear Nelly home! Good luck, you and Nelly will be in my thoughts.

My Peanuts
03-17-2004, 02:27 PM
I'm so sorry. I had to put my Cockatiel, Pretty Boy, to sleep this morning, so I feel your pain. :( Still, don't give up. Before I had Pretty Boy the previous owners said she got out for days and then came back. I don't want to give you false hope, but it's possible. My other Cockatiel, Danny, I got because a friend found him in the yard, so maybe someone took Nelly in and she is ok.

primabella
03-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Emma I am SO so sorry. :( :( :(

Keep your head up most of all, don't blame it on anyone. Especially not yourself. *HUGS*

I'll be keeping you and Nelly in my prayers.

Miss Meow
03-17-2004, 02:43 PM
I'm sorry about Nelly :(

I'll be sending good thoughts and hoping someone has seen her {{{hugs}}}

ChrisH
03-17-2004, 03:55 PM
I am so sorry about Nelly. Hope she comes back home soon.

You and she will be in my prayers.

Hugs

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Oh Emma... I can't express how sorry I am... my gosh, I am on the verge of tears too, I can't express my sorrow. I hope Nel comes back... you know he will... Prayers... many prayers are on your way... you know you can talk to me if you need to... LoveJersinBlood on Aim... :( Love ya, Emmz! :(

CamCamPup33
03-17-2004, 07:25 PM
I just saw this thread, Im *SO* Sorry! I don't even know what to say, because i know whatever i say wont help you get your baby back!!

Just keep working at it! NELLY PLEASE COME HOME! :( :(

Good luck emma! :(

Amber

popcornbird
03-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Emma? Any new news? Any sign of Nelly? Please keep us updated!

isis
03-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Aw! Poor Nelly! I'm so sorry Dogz. Good luck. Be safe Nelly!

tatsxxx11
03-18-2004, 06:26 PM
Oh Emma, I'm so, so sorry!:(:(:( It wasn't your fault, it was an accident:( All of the birdie moms have given you great advice. Call everywhere, every vet. Put up posters, call the shelters. But don't, don't give up hope. I've heard of so many miraculous homecomings of lost birds. Paws, fingers and claws crossed from Nelly's safe return. {{{HUGS}}} to you Emma. My heart breaks for you:(

Dogz
03-18-2004, 06:27 PM
No news yet.:(

I emailed my local shelter, and they are going to put a picture of Nelly on their website. I also made some flyers today, and I will hang them up ASAP.

I hope I can find him.

popcornbird
03-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Dogz

I hope I can find him.

I'm praying that you WILL find him. If you need to talk, just PM me and tell me to get on yahoo. *hugs*

Logan
03-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Emma, if you haven't already done it, at least call every pet store in your area. They can be alert to anyone who comes in for supplies who "found" a bird. Get a picture to them as soon as possible with your phone number. HURRY!!!!!!!! :D

Dogz
03-18-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Emma, if you haven't already done it, at least call every pet store in your area. They can be alert to anyone who comes in for supplies who "found" a bird. Get a picture to them as soon as possible with your phone number. HURRY!!!!!!!! :D

I would do this in a heart beat, BUT we do not have an actual 'Pet Store'. We do have a Ben Franklin, and it does have pets, including cockatiels, fish, etc. (No dogs/cats) My sister actually works there, so I can tell her to hang a picture up in there, and have her tell some people about it.

Thank you for all of your support, well wishes, and ideas.

Tweety_Pie
03-22-2004, 10:12 PM
i just read this now :(

Any more updates on Nelly?

wolfie
03-24-2004, 06:03 PM
Any updates? :(

Dogz
03-24-2004, 08:09 PM
No updates. :( I am still hoping and praying for my baby boy.

green_chameleon_girl
03-24-2004, 08:36 PM
did you put out posters or sumthing:(

Dogz
03-24-2004, 08:50 PM
Yes, I did hang up posters.

Dogz
03-25-2004, 06:52 PM
I emailed my local humane society, and they have put up a page just for Nelly that includes two pictures of him. They also offered to hang up some signs of him for me. They hang up 28 signs every week, so they asked me if they should hang a couple up at their local business places. I thought that was a very nice offer, and you can't have too many posters, so I accepted it.

popcornbird
03-25-2004, 07:01 PM
Emma, I do hope someone out there finds Nelly and brings him home to safety. How is the weather there? Is it still very cold?

Dogz
03-25-2004, 07:10 PM
No! It has warmed up so much! It was probably around in the 45's this afternoon. Not the warmest, but really good for us!

I am really trying my hardest. I just love him so much, I couldn't just give up.

green_chameleon_girl
03-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Aw Emma Im so glad your making a big effort! I swear if I lived near you I would help you look day and night!! COME BACK NELLY!!! Atleast the weather is warm!

apcrs5122
03-27-2004, 03:30 PM
OMG Emma:( I'm so sorry, and I know you are doing your best to find her.

I really, really hope she is found, by someone, and is safely returned to you.

Prayers going out to you and Nelly.

***HUGS***

K9soul
03-27-2004, 04:57 PM
Somehow in the hubbub going on here, I missed this thread. I am so so so sorry Emma. Your heart must feel so sundered. I cannot even imagine :( :( :(

Please add my prayers to all the others here, hoping and praying you find dear Nelly.

I'm terribly sorry I have missed this until now. :(