PDA

View Full Version : Fur texture....

ramanth
03-09-2004, 12:28 PM
I think it's amazing how cats fur can have different textures. Well, I guess dogs do too, depending on the breed. But when it comes to mixes in felines, there are lots of textures.

Zam's fur is very soft. It feels like rabbit fur. I just love to pet her.

Logan's is a little coarser, but his belly is soft. :)

Do your kitties have different textures?

sirrahved
03-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Marsha's is very light and whispy, whereas Pickles has rather coarse fur. My parents' cats have fur even coarser than Pickles. The adoption papers called Picky a Domestic Medium Hair, so this may be why.

RedHedd
03-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Mishi has the typical Maine Coon long soft, silky fur with wonderfully fluffy "bloomers," long soft curls on his belly and velvety paws.

Mitzi is my little "wool-de-beast" with very thick, plush fur. When I first adopted her, her fur felt very coarse and rough to the touch and was dull and dandruffy. After a professional grooming and a much better diet it's getting so much softer and shinier, but it's still extremely thick and wooly and mats easily. My little girl is plush in every way!

sirrahbed
03-09-2004, 01:07 PM
My trio all have very different furs. Dylan's - even though very long, is silky soft and does not tangle like I would expect. Emily is black and white and I notice that her white fur is much softer than the black! Eliot is coarsest of all and much shinier! Just like people I guess!! Dark hair is often thicker and shinier, redhair is often curlier and we blondes tend to have finer hair:rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
03-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Edwina has the most unusual texture. Very soft and longer and thicker than Eddie's. She sheds alot more too...:eek:

jazzcat
03-09-2004, 01:08 PM
Ripley's is long and soft in most places but a little course in a few spots down his back.

Jazz's fur is like silk. It's hard to stop petting her sometimes.

Scout's is extremely soft like rabbit fur and sometimes is has the silky feel to it too. When we first adopted her it was very dull and course feeling but after a couple of months here it's really turned into a beautiful coat.

catlover4ever
03-09-2004, 01:42 PM
All of mine have such different fur types.

Tigger is very silky.

Smokey is very, very course but from looking at a photo you would never be able to tell.

Tucker has the plushest coat. You can just dig your fingers right into her fur and get your fingers lost.

Mystic is soft.

Abner is very unusual to me. It is like he has 3 layers of fur. A soft layer. A second longer even softer layer. And then the last layer is very, very wispy and it seems to stand on end. You can see the third layer of Abbeys fur in this picture....
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/p9d63ab93c81facc8d650fb959addc7d0/f9e522dd.jpg

catnapper
03-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Yes! Pouncer is so very soft and begs to be pet you could get lost in all his fuzzy tummy fur. Ooooh how I love that tummy fur! Allen's is much coarser, but still soft. Allen's tummy fur is incredibly soft and he begs to have his belly rubbed. Of course we all oblige him!:D

sirrahbed
03-09-2004, 02:22 PM
I am wondering....is belly fur always softer??? After doing fur check - I discovered that my three ALL have softer belly fur!! Kinda like featherdown on a chick?

bluekat
03-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Blueberry looks soft and fluffy, but he actually isn't that soft. His belly is soft though:p

RedHedd
03-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
I am wondering....is belly fur always softer??? After doing fur check - I discovered that my three ALL have softer belly fur!! Kinda like featherdown on a chick? Grrr! I'm at work and now I want to do a "fur check" on my two! Can't wait to get home! Belly fur does seem to be softer on all kitties I've met. I call Mishi's bloomer fluff "kitty down" because it does feel so soft and downy like a baby chick's. :)

Russian Blue
03-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Nakita's very soft and her belly hair is very soft...almost like touching cotton balls.

RedHedd
03-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Russian Blue
Nakita's very soft and her belly hair is very soft...almost like touching cotton balls. Aww! Mitzi's paws even LOOK like little cotton balls and they feel like them too :D

moosmom
03-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Well, considering LilEli is Zam's baby and Logan's brother, his fur is the same as Logan's. Kind of course on his back but WAAAAY soft on his belly.

shais_mom
03-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Kylie's is what I would describe similiar to rabbit fur. Now with her shaved, she likes to sit in front of me at the computer and I just lean forward and rest my cheek on her back. :)
I have a confession, sometimes at nite, I have to touch her just lay my hand on her b/c she is sooooo soft and comforting!

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-10-2004, 03:24 AM
I have just performed a "fur check" on my two, and their belly fur is definately softer and fluffier than the rest of their bodies.

Ally's fur is VERY silky and sleak - it lies very flat against her body. Connor has a double coat (which has the added bonus of not shedding too much), but he is an untidy boy - he always looks like he has rubbed his fur up the wrong way!

Vio&Juni
03-10-2004, 04:04 AM
Juni's fur is like silk, still not very soft. I love to touch her chest and belly with my face, she has the most amazing fur there. Every person that sees her for the first time ask why she has such a beautiful fur, nobody believes she's not a breeded cat. She sheds a lot, she almost doesn't have under layer. Her fur is a lot like Filou's fur :). Her hairs get into everything very easily. I have Juni fur IN all my clothes (not ON) :)

Pichu has long hair and although it doesn't look too soft, it is very soft, but it doesn't mat at all. His belly fur is much softer, but not as silky as the rest.

Vio&Juni
03-10-2004, 04:16 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid100/p9d63ab93c81facc8d650fb959addc7d0/f9e522dd.jpg

I'd take the plane tomorrow to kiss this beautiful face :)

Dog1,Cats2
03-10-2004, 08:55 AM
to quote Redhedd's description, my Punkin-Head Jones also has " typical Maine Coon - long soft, silky fur with wonderfully fluffy "bloomers," long soft curls on his belly and velvety paws.
"

However, Chelsea has the most unusual fur I've ever seen. All of it is silky, angora soft. She's white and dark grey, with sort of a saddle across her shoulders of white fur that's actually shorter than the surrounding grey fur. You can see it in this picture --

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid107/pcb3b9ade555b8a47eb4eebd0c0e6bd17/f96278de.jpg

catmandu
03-10-2004, 09:18 AM
The Siamese all have Velvety Fur , Mooses is rough , as is JJJ3s ,and the rest are about average. John has the nicest fur to the touch , and BoBo is nice too!